Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Age of Empires 2 HD

Orcseeker

I don't know if anyone is aware. But I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. I have pre-ordered it as right now if you pre-order you get 10% off and I've heard you will get to play the game 5 days before the release.

What are people thoughts on this?

Anyone wondering if Age of Empires will make yet another comeback?

Age of Empire 2 isa game that is definitely worth of re-releasing and recieving a make over, but why didn't they upgrade the animation quality? :hmm:

Age of Empire 2 isa game that is definitely worth of re-releasing and recieving a make over, but why didn't they upgrade the animation quality? :hmm:

I did notice that too, perhaps they wanted to retain that sprite style effect?

I had really been hoping for a new complete overhaul but the main aspect I'm looking forward to about this is the fact people will be back into playing it. Sure, there are still many people who continue to play the old version online but hopefully this will bring more people to the table.

Hm, I cannot believe they want to retain this effect. I mean, the animation quality was pretty dreadful even back then!

If you are looking for online play, it's certainly going to help the community that there is an updated version.

I did notice that too, perhaps they wanted to retain that sprite style effect?

I had really been hoping for a new complete overhaul but the main aspect I'm looking forward to about this is the fact people will be back into playing it. Sure, there are still many people who continue to play the old version online but hopefully this will bring more people to the table.

thats pretty much exactly it keep the nostalgia without recreating to much. much like they did with the baldurs gate enhanced edition

edit: for the most part

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else got this yet? Any thoughts?

I've recognised people have had a few hardware specific bugs.

Last time I checked it was also the top seller on steam. I have played a couple multiplayer games with a friend with only a few small bugs here and there. When I hosted a game with about 6 people. The lag was extreme (3-4 second delay). This was also on a high unit volume map as well.

A few of my friends pre-ordered it..

Of the few games I know, this and Diablo II deserve to be re-released in HD.

• Like 1

I assume the lesser graphics are do to keeping the size down. If they are really pushing the muliplayer part, this would make sense.

What is new in this version? Also I noticed that Steam sell an Age of Empires 2 HD - 4 pack. I guess that is rights for 4 computers?

Is this download only?

I never played Age of Empires...maybe now is a good time. Funny thing is, I love Age of Mythology.

I never played Age of Empires...maybe now is a good time. Funny thing is, I love Age of Mythology.

It is simply one of the greatest games made for PC.

I assume the lesser graphics are do to keeping the size down. If they are really pushing the muliplayer part, this would make sense.

What is new in this version? Also I noticed that Steam sell an Age of Empires 2 HD - 4 pack. I guess that is rights for 4 computers?

Is this download only?

They haven't changed anything to gameplay. Mainly a multiplayer revival and higher resolution models. Some they replaced because they couldn't salvaged them from the oringal files as some were lost after Ensumble Studios becoming defunct. It also adds a steam workshop feature which allows mods to be easily downloaded and added to the game.

To my understanding buying the 4-pack saves you some money and they would be for four steam accounts. Yes it is download only.

Would be great to see an Age of Mythology HD edition. Due to the success of AOE2HD being a top seller for quite a while now on steam I no doubt believe they would see this revival system to be quite lucrative.