Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Smurl Demon

dancin'hamster

As a little follow-up to Burnys’ Amityville thread, I wondered if any of you had heard about ‘The Smurl Demon’?

It’s almost a carbon copy of the Amityville story, and there are several web-sites, a movie, and a book about the subject.

I bought the book some years ago in a wonderful second hand bookshop down in Poole – where I find most of my reference books. I am a bit lazy today so I have C&P’d this very brief summary of the story ...... Teddy is just gonna love this ~

‘The Smurl family consisted of father and mother Jack and Janet and their daughters Shannon, Carin, Dawn, and Heather the youngest. They lived in a half duplex owned by Jack's parents, John and Mary Smurl, They spent time and money in improving their home but despite the hardships the family was happy. But in January 1974 strange events began to occur - which turned into a nightmare.

A strange stain first appeared on a new carpet followed by Jack's television set bursting into flames. The house plumping would break down while the bathroom had strange scratched marks found it as though made by some wild animal. The phenomena within the house began to become more disturbing when their oldest daughter Dawn repeatedly saw people flying around her bed in 1975. The Smurls believed their house was haunted as the events in 1977 became worse. Strange noises became frequent, objects began to move on their own, the rooms would be filled with a vile smell and Jack was repeatedly touched by an unseen force. Soon the Smurl family increased by with the birth of the/ twins Carin and Shannon.

In 1985 the events happing within the household became terrifying as the family became victims of an unseen entity. John and Mary would hear the voices of their son and daughter in law arguing with each although they were not talking or even home. Janet would hear a voice in the house calling to her but she would find herself alone after search for the unseen caller. The Smurl women would witness a human shape shadow appear and pass through the walls. At night there was no peace and at times Jack and Janet would find themselves levitating. There was an incident where Janet was violently pulled off the bed while Jack lay paralysed, gagging from a foul odour. Even the family's German shepherd, Simon, was not spared from being repeatedly picked up and thrown. The neighbours too experienced the strange phenomena, and several heard screams and strange noises coming from the house when the no one was home.

In January 1986, Janet called Ed and Lorraine Warren …’

blink.gif

Whoa………..hold it right there! Ed & Lorraine Warren?? Well then……how about that? There goes my bull****-O-Meter again….

‘….. who agreed to come to the home, accompanied by Rosemary Frueh, a nurse and psychic. They began the investigation by looking into Smurls religious beliefs, the happiness of their family life, and history. The Warrens and Frueh in walking through the house, identified the haunting to be caused by 3 evil spirits a demon. The demon was not summoned but believed to have been dormant, for decades, and had arisen to draw on the emotional energy generated by the girls.

The Warrens tried to expel the demon through exorcism but it retaliated. First Jack was raped by a scaly succubus posing as an old woman with a young body. Ed Warren was attacked and then suffered from terrible flu-like symptoms…’

Flu symptoms? He apparently suffered these flu-like symptoms in Amityville too….

‘..Janet was sexually assaulted by an incubus. The Smurls did not get any help from their local church, instead the Warrens brought in a priest they knew to perform an exorcism, which only angered the demon further. The haunting continued to get worse as their daughter, Dawn, was found to almost been raped by the entity. Janet and Mary were continuously attacked by something leaving claw and bite marks on their arms.

The priest returned and performed a second exorcism that also did not work. The demon even accompanied the family on trips and harassed Jack at work. The family knew the demon would just follow them wherever they went. The Smurls decided to appear on television, anonymous, in hope to get help and put pressure on the church to perform the exorcism. The demon retaliated by attacking John and Janet. In August 1986, the Smurls took the risk and to tell their story to a wider audience in interview published in the Wilkes-Barre Sunday Independent newspaper. Their home became a tourist attraction for the press, sceptics and paranormal investigators.

There were no disturbances for about 3 months until Christmas 1986, when Jack again saw the black form, beckoning him. He prayed this was simply an isolated incident but the haunting continued and the Smurls in desperation moved to another town. The events that occurred soon found their way in a book called "The Haunted." The church finally gave in to performed a fourth exorcism in 1988 and to this day the family has not been haunted.’

So, what exactly happened in that house?

No one else has reported any hauntings or any strange ‘paranormal’ occurances.

Did the family see The Amtiyville Horror and decide to make a quick buck from a media frenzy?

After-all, the whole world had gone Amityville mad.

Or did they really experience a real demonic infestation?

Personally I believe they had a few minor poltergeist experiences, and the rest was hysteria, and hoax. I’m not the only one who feels this way. Many investigators who visited the house reported nothing at all. Take a look at this ~

‘One such explanation Kurtz describes is the possibility of teenage pranks. Kurtz found that 17-year-old Dawn Smurl gave many different accounts of her experiences. It was also discovered that many of the rapping noises seemed to emanate from walls that were adjacent to Dawn's bedroom. "Historically", Kurtz writes, "teenagers have been involved in poltergeist cases .... and I wondered whether Dawn .... could be responsible for the rappings." He notes that Dawn's statements fit the pattern of a teenager playing tricks to get attention.

Kurtz also details possible psychological and physiological disorders that might be affecting members of the Smurl family. It was learned that Jack Smurl had had brain surgery three years prior to the "haunting" to relieve water on the brain. Kurtz questioned whether this procedure could be affecting Mr. Smurl's present behaviour especially in light of Smurl's claim that he had on several occasions been raped by a demon.

It was also suggested by Allentown, Pennsylvania, psychologist Robert Gordon that the family may have been suffering from hysteria similar to that prevalent during the Salem witch trials. He said that a shared tension might cause mass hysteria, with shared symptoms, that could involve delusions or hallucinations.

Kurtz requested the Smurl family to submit to a thorough psychological and physiological examination. The Smurls declined. Kurtz reports conversations with neighbours who revealed that they had been complaining to village officials for years about foul odours emanating from an inadequate sewer pope near the Smurl home. Neighbours also told of sporadic settling occurring throughout the area due to the layers of mine veins that honeycomb the earth below the town. It was noted that the Smurl home had been settling badly, and Kurtz questioned whether this could be responsible for the strange noises.

Finally, Kurtz outlined the possibility of a financial motive behind the reported haunting. It was learned that within days of the story breaking in the national media, Jack Smurl was seen negotiating with the Star Group, a Hollywood production company headed by Scranton businessman Ralph Loma. Although Smurl reportedly denied that negotiations had taken place, Loma confirmed he had been trying to obtain exclusive rights to the story and said,” We haven't signed anything yet, but we hope to. It's going to make helluva movie when its finally made."

In November, St. Martin's Press announced that it had signed a book contract with the Smurls. A hard-cover edition on the West Pittston haunting will be published first, followed sometime later by a paperback.

Kurtz also notes that the Smurls have since released a statement saying that the demons have now left their home. Said Janet Smurl, "It's like a different home now. We are not afraid to go to sleep at night."

"The fact that the Smurls have signed a book contract raises

serious questions about their motives," wrote Kurtz. "No doubt, how-

ever, a large segment of the public and of the media is far more

fascinated by demons and ghosts than the possibility of a prank or

hoax."

So…….true or false????

*pulls on Super Sceptic Hat for Girls*

grin2.gif

Hammy x x x

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancin'hamster

• IdahoGhostHunter

• KevinM

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

False :-D

Have seen the movie, i thought it was nonsense then and ithink its nonsense now.,...

Teddy. xxx

wow Im not reading all that....

dontgetit.gif

oh thanks.........nice to know my efforts are appreciated.........

Just wanted to post, WHAT THE HELL is the point in posting 'i'm not reading that'?? If you're not gonna bother reading it, DON'T POST!! Christ.

Gimme a moment while i read through it. grin2.gif

Alright, it sounded a little credible at first, some of the events do sound a little overly hyped up and, well, edited. Then come the Warrens.. oh dear, lost credibility. The fact that the family seems to have some serious psych problems doesn't help, and it does sound alot like acts hoaxed for attention, media fame and of course, the riches that would come shortly after.

My guess is it is an Amity-Clone, and definately not real.

Don't worry about the Ritalin crowd Dancin' Hamster, we appreciate you! thumbsup.gif

The combination of the Warrens' and a book and movie deal kind of ruined the possibility of it being real for me...

People who have really suffered tend to want to leave their bad experiences behind, not have them endlessly brought up by the media. I think we're dealing with the usual Ed and Lorraine money-making sideshow here...

Creepy story! scared.gif I don't believe that demon or a ghost could physically hurt you.

Cute moving avatar Dancin Hamster! thumbsup.gif

Oh poop .............. sad.gif

I found a site that listed all the things the Smurls said which could be proven wrong.....and I thought I book-makred it......and now I cant find it.......

Pffffffffffttttttttttttttt................

Hammy x x x

Oh, and many thanks to everyone who read this - it was a biggie I know wacko.gif

wow Im not reading all that....

Wow, thanks for your insightful post.

Please, tell us why you felt it neccessary to even post that? It obviously had no reason other then to insult Hammy.

*hugs Hammy*

I'm calling false too. way to "OMGS! We can make money like Amittyville too!!* bandwagon.

• 3 months later...

I was told about this site through the grapevine I guess you would say out of couriosity so I looked you up. One of the smurls (I wish not to mention names out of respect to them so I will refer to them ""'' in this post)) has became an addition (through marriage) to our family about 6yrs ago. when I met '''' I have to say, I was very curious as anyone else would be. Over this past 6yrs I have gotten to know '''' and the Smurl family very well. The Smurl familly is a regular family like any other. They are kind and loving. They all have faith in God. I have become veryclose to our new family member. I can't beilieve in anyway that '''' could ever be part of any kind of hoax of any of kind. Not one person in my family feels as though that the Smurls had a case of "mass hullusination". I'm not a nieve person and am a skeptic when it comes to the super natural and I whole heartedlly give this family the benifit of the doubt. I just find that this family has gotten a raw deal. I understand all of your critisism against the family's claims because I was one of you before I met this family. The person I'm refering to mostly """" is a wonderful kind person, funny, easy to get a long with and a wonderful mother. I just couldn't emphisize enough. I would also like everyone to know the fact's of the book and movie. Yes, they wrote a book and had a movie about what happened to them but what ppl don't know is the money from the book and movie went to the church and other charities. The Smurls live in a normal average middle class home and have no extravigant belongings. They all work for a living and struggle like everyone else to get along in life. No differn't from you or I. If they did keep the money, they sure do one of a hell of a job hiding it. I've seen the Amittyville horror and other so called "true" accounts of the paramormal and really never cared either way if they were true or not, it's just entertainment to me. (Horror is my favorite kind of film) I do however, believe that this family has been through some scary stuff and to spite it they are still standing strong and hold no grudges against ppl that don't believe their story. I don't mean to have rambled on as I have but I just wanted to state some fact's that most ppl don't know about the family. You can believe them or not, that's your right, I however believe and respect their family.

I still wholeheartedly believe in the Amityville and the Smurl cases, and admire Ed and Lorainne for all the help they give people....free of charge of course...kudos to Jenna for sticking up for the Smurls thumbsup.gif

• 5 months later...

I live about 10 minutes away from west pittston and I lived there when all of that sh** was going on I was only a couple of years old but my sister was 17.. my sister went to school with dawn and her father was my sisters soft ball coach..when all of this was going on dawn told my sister that she had a dream my sister was in a car accident..less than a week later my sister totalled her car. My uncle was a member of the west pittston police department at the time also and he was always down on chase street. He said he always had a bad feeling about the place. Many neighbors also reported hearing things coming from the house when no one was home. I believe it's real.

H Fairuza

I still stand by my comments.

There may have been basic poltergiest activity which is terrifying for those caught up in it - but as soon as the Warrens and books and movies are involved it looses all credibility.

I am not a total sceptic.

I just find all the hype & hysteria hard to digest.

That said - I would LOVE to hear if your dad had any direct experiences there?

Thanks

Hammy x x x

Well it was investigated by the best in the world and they say its haunted so I'm gonna have to say it was haunted.

Despite the claims of people who hate any one who suggests any thing nastier then a ghost actually exists, or that any thing can be done about a violent spirit. The Warrens were at the time the best investigators in the field(with Ed ill its not quite the case any more). They were given the recognition they had from the church as investigators for a reason and any one who's familiar with church politics especially at the time of the Smurl case can realize the rarity of there status(they Church wasn't even appointing exorcists back then let alone demonologists).

I think I saw a made-for-tv movie on this, was there a part where the family goes camping and they see a black mist there too? did the parents of the family live right next door? I think it's the same, it said based on a true story, maybe I am getting them mixed up, the movie was called 'The Haunted' tho.

I went onto Ed and Lorraines website, all very pretty and nice. I still want to know how you become a demonologist tho...

Seems like their book gets plugged a lot too, from the various other paranormal sites I have been to...

I can actually answer that Hoagy. The answer is a combination of two things. The first is formal training by another religious demonologist. Some one(no I do not know who) trained Ed, Ed then trained a gentleman name Lou Gentile (among many others) and currently training me. The second is having a large volume of practical experience(Ed came in at over 50 years of research more then most other paranormal investigators in the field particularly his detractors). In terms of getting formally recognized by the Church thats a lot more complicated and necissitates drawing there attention to what you do and convincing them you know what your talking about. It doesn't happen often(Mr Gentile for example is not formally recognized nor has any lay person since Ed been).

INcidentaly i've actually had the distinct privalege of meeting both Ed and Lorraine Warren. It was very briefly several years ago at a lecture they gave at Beaver College(now Arcadia) in PA and I was introduced by Mr Gentile. Having seen there lecture twice now(as well as owning the dvd) and having had the chance to talk briefly with them I have a great respect for the work they did. More recently when I took part in The Lou Gentile Show's Amityville Horror week I got to interview Lorraine yet again in conjunction with George Lutz. While i did not have the privalege of knowing the Warrens well I am no pretty good terms with there nephew John Zaffis (head of PRSNE, author of Shadows of the Dark and investigator on the Sznedicker case that inspired the movie "A Haunting in Ct as well as the book "In a Dark Place") who is a truly wonderful and knowledgeable gentleman and one of the finest investigators its ever been my privalege to work with.

jumped on a bandwagon

seen the movie and it scared me senseless but i dont believe it for a second

as soon as he got "raped" it ended any belief i had in it

There are so many things that happened, its hard to believe its all true. I think some of it may be true therefor giving total paronia into things making every sound of the house setteling and every noise comming through the vents ect, a ghost.. or whatever.

Now, the physical attacks... i think it would be hard for a WHOLE family to lie about the same thing and keep it a lie this long without cracking, ya know? But like some of you said, they caught them telling different stories on different accounts.

I think I saw a made-for-tv movie on this, was there a part where the family goes camping and they see a black mist there too? did the parents of the family live right next door? I think it's the same, it said based on a true story, maybe I am getting them mixed up, the movie was called 'The Haunted' tho.

Yes, its the same one original.gif

as soon as he got "raped" it ended any belief i had in it

littleprincess, have you never heard of a succubus (or incubus) before???

as I posted in 'sexual ghosts' or whatever the thread is called, I think the incubus/succubus is another form of sleep paralysis combined with sexual arousal, both are explainable.

Hoagy alien.gif

as I posted in 'sexual ghosts' or whatever the thread is called, I think the incubus/succubus is another form of sleep paralysis combined with sexual arousal, both are explainable.

Hoagy alien.gif

579413[/snapback]

True incubus attacks have no "rational" explanation for what goes on. The reason? Simple its usualy connected directly to other activity in the home, and it is considerably more violent then simple sleep paralysis. To cite a specific instance a girl playing with an Ouija board(for those who wonder why I denounce these things btw heres an example) who asked to do some thing if it was real. Later that night she felt hands moving across her body in a sexual way and called for her mother. Her mom said it was just a nightmare and she should go back to sleep. Shortly afterwards she was ripped from the bed yanked onto her tip toes and had the hair ripped out by the roots in full view of her mother. Psychic slashes also manifested on her arm of which pictures were commonly shown in the Warren's lectures and Mr Gentile also periodicly shows.