Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Advantages of Tobacco Consumption?

strichar

I know of one advantage to tobacco consumption. If you are having an asthma attack and you don't have an inhaler, the next best thing is a cigarrette. I would not have beleived it myself but a respiratory therapist told me this. You see, nicotine causes your blood to thin, which in turn stops your airways from expanding. I was still skeptical about it though, even though an RT told me this, but one day I was having a pretty bad asthma attack and I didn't have an inhaler, but I did have a cigarrette. I was so desperate I had to try it, and it worked. At first it only seemed to make it worse. Nicotine also increases mucus membranes, so I started to caugh up a lot of clear mucus, but after about half the cigarrette was gone I could breath again and I had coughed up all of the mucus that comes from the inflamation of your airways. So it worked. Oh yeah, it also makes coffee taste better.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thepsychoticseaotter

• babyforrest

• joc

• thebarman

Good, now the next time some idiot gives me crap for smoking, I have my excuse. Not that I really need one, but I've often found it's much easier to placate these do-gooders than argue with them.

Amen to that. sasmokin.gif

Next time they do just put the cig out in their eye...You'd be surpised how quick they shut up...... grin2.gif

Smokers rejoice come out and save the asthmatics whistling2.gif

I've heard that drinking a strong cup of coffee works just as well

Mabye you wouldnt have asthma if you didnt smoke in the first place.

stick that in your pipe and smoke it rolleyes.gif

Mabye you wouldnt have asthma if you didnt smoke in the first place.

stick that in your pipe and smoke it rolleyes.gif

*Puts cig out in STIX's eye...Then shoots him in the head*

SMOKERS WARNING: Whining about my smoking will be hazardous to your health..... sasmokin.gif

Good, now the next time some idiot gives me crap for smoking, I have my excuse. Not that I really need one, but I've often found it's much easier to placate these do-gooders than argue with them.

I'm not giving you or anyone else crap for smoking. I will just state some facts.

Fact: my grandfather died from heart disease related to smoking.

Fact: my uncle's father died from emphesyma from smoking.

Fact: my uncle died of lung cancer from smoking.

Fact: my dad has just this week been diagnosed with emphesyma from smoking.

Fact: Everyone agrees that cigarettes stink. Literally. Only exception...those who smoke.

Puff on dudes and dudettes.........

Cigarettes are legal and I am NOT a tobacco Nazi!! Just the facts mam! thumbsup.gif

Edited by joc

I'm not giving you or anyone else heart disease.Fact: Everyone agrees that  I am  a  Nazi!!

This has been the Late Show unfair edit of a post.... sasmokin.gif

Edited by thepsychoticseaotter

I've had asthma since I was two, but the only times I ever have trouble with it is when I am around dogs or excercising real hard. Cigarrettes have not ever caused me to have an asthma attack. Yes coffee does help, but only if you drink it black, and it takes awhile to work.

I'm not giving you or anyone else heart disease.Fact: Everyone agrees that  I am  a  Nazi!! 

This has been the Late Show unfair edit of a post....

The following is a copy of the email I received from my mother:

I have added bold to parts of it but it is as was recieved.

I also added: (she is an RN)

Thanks for writing,

No this isnt good news...its devastating news... there is no cure for this.

Dad has stopped smoking "cold turkey", as he puts it. He is trying to be

nice, it just isnt happening, he is very sarcastic and hateful and nothing,

tastes like it should and this is just the second day.

COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, a group of lung conditions

that result in shortness of breath, chronic cough, difficulty breathing, and increased sputum production (secretions from the lungs).Over time, the sypmtoms get worse, the cough becomes more frequent,

and breathing becomes more difficult as the lungs continue to weaken..

In emphsema, the walls of the air sacs break down and the lungs lose their elasticity, causing the

airways to collapse.

There is no cure...it becomes increasingly worse....

However, stopping smoking, exercise, proper diet will keep it from getting worse......so fast..

He has a pain in his right rib cage now, and the Doctors nurse, said if this continues this week,

to make an appointment, the Dr. would need to see him again and run some more tests. He

eats pain pills like they are candy.

He tried to work outside yesterday...stayed about 30 mins and had to come in...was out of breath

and just stayed in the house...

The cough he has had is gone, but for some reason, it comes back and goes away...but i thot he

was completely over it, but he is not.

I cant even begin to tell you how frightened i am...I did call your sister (she is an RN) and she was devastated...but said,

if he quits smoking, and eats better and loses weight, it could help alot.....

He is an extraordinary man, and while he cant get over this disease, i do fully believe he will be

successful with the no smoking and getting the stomach off....at prolonging his life awhile longer.

This isnt going to be easy for any of us, but we will just keep on saying our prayers and loving him

and each other...

ph34r.gif Stick me in the eye if you want to. The years tick by like hours and suddenly you

are old and sick and it just really doesn't have to be that way.........think about it. crying.gif

Edited by joc

i don't think people are denying the health effects of cigarretes, its more a case of "We know what they can do, now **** and let me have my cig in peace"

i don't think people are denying the health effects of cigarretes, its more a case of "We know what they can do, now **** and let me have my cig in peace"

Oh...okay...then I will just **** and ya'll have a real good time w00t.gif

Joc...it was a joke...and Bathory is right...I am aware of the risks I work my 40+ hour week and I will have my damn cig in peace even if I have to bust a few heads. And look at it like this I could quit smoking, eat right and exercise and.... STILL DIE

And look at it like this I could quit smoking, eat right and exercise and.... STILL DIE

No doubt you will die. It isn't in the dying that the argument against cigarettes is made...it is in the 'quality' of life, rather, lack there of, which one suffers through before one dies.

I know it was a joke. I use to tell a funny joke:

The guy says, (in long drawn breaths)...I use to smoke 4 packs a day...but since I had my right lung removed...I've cut my smoking in half.... grin2.gif

In light of my current situation though...the humor somehow seems placid and

hazy.

I smoked cigs for a number of years. I decided one day I didn't want to end up

an old sick man.....I crunched that pack and haven't looked back. That was 12 years ago.

Please understand........I don't care if you smoke or not...it is your choice. Just

remember that your choice will greatly affect the lives of those who love you somewhere down the line....peace..out...

Fact: my grandfather died from heart disease related to smoking.

Fact: my uncle's father died from emphesyma from smoking.

Fact: my uncle died of lung cancer from smoking.

Fact: my dad has just this week been diagnosed with emphesyma from smoking.

Sorry to hear that, but I think the medical world jumped on the band wagon a bit and have sinced blamed smoking on just about everything......................sorry, just lighting up grin2.gif .

Lifes too short to listen to every little health threat chucked our way. Some of the most healthiest people around drop dead from their " healthy lives and regular exercise..............sorry, cant find the ash tray. wink2.gif

And finally, one thing I do take a dislike to is someone who piles the guilt factor on a smoker and makes us feel like we are causing others misery, harm or upset.

Take away smoking and the taxes in the UK would go through the roof. All that revenue that pays for schools and hospitals. blink.gif

Take away smoking and the taxes in the UK would go through the roof. All that revenue that pays for schools and hospitals.  blink.gif

Not only that, but if everyone who smokes quit, and the world was smoke free and wonderful, then all those people who would have died from "smoking related illnesses" would still be alive.

Great!...

...but wait! Those people now not dead from smoking are now dying of something else, name your fate.

What I mean is, most of those people would still eventually end up in hospital for something else, but who pics up the bill this time??

Yes, smoking costs the NHS millions, but the smokers pay for it. Take away the smokers you'll end up with the same NHS bill, just delayed a bit, and no one to cough up the cash. blink.gif

Edited by thebarman

And who picks up the bill for how much obese people cost the NHS? I say: TAX DOUGHNUTS

Food is already taxed to the hilt. thumbsup.gif

And not all obese people eat too much, many suffer their size through illness. sad.gif

Lifes too short to listen to every little health threat chucked our way. Some of the most healthiest people around drop dead from their " healthy lives and regular exercise..............sorry, cant find the ash tray. 

And finally, one thing I do take a dislike to is someone who piles the guilt factor on a smoker and makes us feel like we are causing others misery, harm or upset.

Healthy people don't 'drop dead'. The fact is that if you smoke cigarettes long enough you will die......from smoking cigarettes.

I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Your choice does however affect those who love you. Smoke on Captain! thumbsup.gif

Have you ever seen somebody that has had a tracheotomy? I hate watching them smoke through the hole in their neck.

smokers cause me misery and distress. i hate that stinking plume of cancer dust i have to walk through at the entrance to buildings because now they all congregate there like a pack of rats around an old moldy hunk of cheese. its pathetic. i know you might enjoy your habit, but it shouldnt affect me in the slightest if you want to enjoy it. do it in your house and leave it out of my public places. don't do it around your children. stop polluting everywhere on the Earth with your used butts. nothing quite so idyllic as walking on a beautiful beach covered with cig butts from inconsiderate smokers, eh?

my grandma died a horrible death. it was so bad that i never forgot how absolutely miserable and pathetic she became near the end. she had throat cancer from smoking for years and years. whenever i visited her in the hospital, even as she was on her death bed, she would ignore all the family around her. instead, she was demanding one of us 'smuggle' cigs to her. she was consumed by the madness of the addiction and even on her deathbed she refused to stop. i still remember the joy she experienced when someone finally gave in to her wishes and brought her the cigarettes. she stood there in the open window, frail beyond words, and puffed her last plumes of smoke inbetween wheezes. she died soon thereafter.

you may think smoking is relaxing and fun, but if you saw my grandmother that day, you might think twice about lighting up that stupid cancer stick. do yourself a favor and stop while you can because the day will come when you cannot no matter how strong you are.

you may think smoking is relaxing and fun, but if you saw my grandmother that day, you might think twice about lighting up that stupid cancer stick. do yourself a favor and stop while you can because the day will come when you cannot no matter how strong you are.

So if I stop smoking now, what will I die of?

Testicular cancer?

Heart attack?

Blot clot in the head?

It's a rare and lucky person that dies in their sleep nowadays, and if smoking doesn't kill me - something else will.

Live fast, die young and leave a good lookin' corpse - Elvis Presley

I have an idea! Just because I can die in many different ways, and I may not live to a ripe old age, and may not have to live with a horrible disease and have my family watch me die a horrible death, I will make my chances better for these things to happen by purposely partaking in an activity that can make me sick. You are a loser with a capital 'L' if you think this way.

You are a loser with a capital 'L' if you think this way.

Harsh but fair, I will however choose to respect your opinion rather than lower myself to personal insults.