Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why people believe weird things - vids

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,990 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Why we blame everything on aliens

"Why when something weird or unexplained happens do we immediately blame aliens?! From crop circles, missing persons, even animal mutilations--ET's been blamed for 'em all! Trace explores why we're so quick to hop on the "aliens did it" bandwagon".

and

"Michael Shermer: Why people believe weird things"

Why do people see the Virgin Mary on cheese sandwiches or hear demonic lyrics in "Stairway to Heaven"? Using video, images and music, professional skeptic Michael Shermer explores these and other phenomena, including UFOs and alien sightings. He offers cognitive context: In the absence of sound science, incomplete information can combine with the power of suggestion (helping us hear those Satanic lyrics in Led Zeppelin). In fact, he says, humans tend to convince ourselves to believe: We overvalue the "hits" that support our beliefs, and discount the more numerous "misses."

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,736 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

"Professional Skeptic Michael Shermer". See, it is so like a religion, (or indeed, like professional Atheists), that people must be converted to their way of thinking and follow the Right path, so much so that people can make a career out of it. Although at least religious evangelists don't just laugh at those they're trying to convert; even they recognise that that's counterproductive.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,990 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Michael Shermer on Aliens. (the first bit is silly but persevere, its only 1.39 long. Its about the typcal GREY type alien, and I like his thinking

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#4    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think most of us need to believe...believe in something, whatever we choose, gods, aliens, fairies, etc.
When something happens we instinctively try to elaborate reasons, and when we can't find a clear easy reason, we go for the bizarre.
Maybe it's in our DNA, maybe we have a gene that makes us believe in higher powers.

I am not religious, for example, but I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic....cause I can't prove nor disprove that god exists.

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,990 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostAggie, on 16 August 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

I think most of us need to believe...believe in something, whatever we choose, gods, aliens, fairies, etc.
When something happens we instinctively try to elaborate reasons, and when we can't find a clear easy reason, we go for the bizarre.
Maybe it's in our DNA, maybe we have a gene that makes us believe in higher powers.

Your sentence, bolded, is bang on target  :tu:

Michael Shermer: The pattern behind self-deception

Michael Shermer says the human tendency to believe strange things -- from alien abductions to dowsing rods -- boils down to two of the brain's most basic, hard-wired survival skills. He explains what they are, and how they get us into trouble.

watch to the end for the kissing chimps bit, hilarious

Edited by seeder, 16 August 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,890 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

After recent events in my life, I can say it sucks to not have something to believe in when it comes to a after life.( or not know what to believe ) It is actually pretty scary and depressing to me.

As for crop circles, videos, etc......I call that ignorance, and lack of education. Education has become television and youtube.

Edited by Sakari, 16 August 2013 - 04:33 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,182 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

I really don't think its unreasonable or shrouded in ignorance to believe that aliens do exist.  What is really ignorant is to believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe and that some of them could be far more advanced than we are.  Advanced enough to come here.

#8    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,898 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

The video about the supposed backmasking in Stairway to Heaven is a perfect example of why people believe in EVPs.

Note that people could only make out the supposed name 'Satan' in the first hearing but when prompted with subtitles in the second hearing they could 'hear' it all.

Same with EVPs.  Hear it without any clues as to what the voice is supposedly saying and people will agree that it's a very clear EVP, but will offer wildly different opinions as to what it says.  When they're told what to listen for beforehand, they'll all hear it when there's not really anything there other than a vague resemblance to a voice or speech.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#9    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Oh the monkey test!! That was disgusting and hilarious at the same time! ha ha ha

On a serious note: very very interesting. Our minds are always looking for patterns and especially faces...even in the dark...all survival mechanisms.

I've never heard of Micahel Shermer before, but I'll definitely try to read about him.
Thanks, Seeder.
:)

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#10    MacsMom

MacsMom

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

• Random crap that no one reads anyway

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Oh, backmasking.  That brings back memories.  I went to a Christian school and we had to bring in examples of Satanism in rock and roll music, naughty lyrics, backmasking, symbolism in album covers, that sort of thing.  To this day, I'm terrified of listening to Hotel California and any song from the Rush "Moving Pictures" album.  Those naughty, naughty Satanists trying to corrupt the minds of innocent children.  :devil:

Sorry, didn't mean to derail, Seeder. :blush:

Edited by MacsMom, 16 August 2013 - 05:28 PM.

Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along.  Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone?

#11    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 16 August 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

"Professional Skeptic Michael Shermer". See, it is so like a religion, (or indeed, like professional Atheists), that people must be converted to their way of thinking and follow the Right path, so much so that people can make a career out of it. Although at least religious evangelists don't just laugh at those they're trying to convert; even they recognise that that's counterproductive.

Spot on.  It literally is self-professed bias.  Yet they claim religious adherence to a scientific method?  They fail to realise that this precludes bias.

Posted Image

#12    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostAggie, on 16 August 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Oh the monkey test!! That was disgusting and hilarious at the same time! ha ha ha

On a serious note: very very interesting. Our minds are always looking for patterns and especially faces...even in the dark...all survival mechanisms.

I've never heard of Micahel Shermer before, but I'll definitely try to read about him.
Thanks, Seeder.

Here is a couple of articles Shermer wrote a few years back that go hand in hand with the OP's videos....

If you want to read some Shermer, here ya go...and you can back off the specific location in address bar of browser (location of the documents) to get to the main site.

http://www.skeptical...reads/id15.html

http://www.skeptical...hreads/id2.html

Edited by Jeremiah65, 16 August 2013 - 06:32 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,990 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostHilander, on 16 August 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I really don't think its unreasonable or shrouded in ignorance to believe that aliens do exist.  What is really ignorant is to believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe and that some of them could be far more advanced than we are.  Advanced enough to come here.

Nope me either. I absolutely believe in life elsewhere, however, I dont believe they are coming here! But I do think its unreasonable to assume/believe daft things credited to aliens, like cattle mutilations where we have evidence of natural forces. like building the PumaPunku walls, where we have evidence from the Spanish who witnessed it being built, and the pyramids, where again a record (of sorts) was left to how it too was biuilt

yet they are 3 biggies that people attribute to ET.  Over and over!

#14    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thank you, Jeremiah:bookmarked for later!
:tu:

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,990 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostAggie, on 16 August 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Thanks, Seeder.

search youtube on his name, he has many many vids, some long, some short. But yeh if readings your thing I believe he has a website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users