Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the Mystery of the Number 7

laver

it's because it's a cannibal - seven eighth nine ;)

Less flippantly, what do you mean?

If anything, "three" stands out as a more prominent number - at least in the European part of the world.

• Like 3

it's because it's a cannibal - seven eighth nine ;)

Less flippantly, what do you mean?

If anything, "three" stands out as a more prominent number - at least in the European part of the world.

Yes three and four are also important but then they make 7 again. But seven is everywhere, the bible starts with the seven days of creation and ends with the Book of Revelation where everything is in sevens. It has been said that it links to the number of planets in ancient times but not so sure about that

Actually, six days of creation - two sets of three (one set the creation of inorganic things, the other the things that live and breathe).

Three spirits visited Ebanezer Scrooge.

Three parts of God in Christian theology - Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Three Abrahamic Faiths.

That said, aren't there seven chakras in Eastern Medicine?

Seven days in a week - but that's derived from the Biblical six days of creation, one of recreation and reflection.

• Like 1

Actually, six days of creation - two sets of three (one set the creation of inorganic things, the other the things that live and breathe).

Three spirits visited Ebanezer Scrooge.

Three parts of God in Christian theology - Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Three Abrahamic Faiths.

That said, aren't there seven chakras in Eastern Medicine?

Seven days in a week - but that's derived from the Biblical six days of creation, one of recreation and reflection.

7 lamps in the menorah the most important symbol of Hebrew theology?

7 churches of Revelation which we are told are also lamps?

7 'devils' that Jesus cast out of Mary Magdalene

Revelations: the seven spirits of god.... I wonder what or who these are... any ideas on that?

Revelations: the seven spirits of god.... I wonder what or who these are... any ideas on that?

Lamps are a common theme and lamps or lights show the way... they also enlighten .. dark and light... black and white .. yin and yang ?

7 lamps in the menorah the most important symbol of Hebrew theology?

7 churches of Revelation which we are told are also lamps?

7 'devils' that Jesus cast out of Mary Magdalene

True.

The number 3 is mentioned 523 times in the bible

That said, 7 occurs (ironically) 700 odd times - 54 of which are in Revelation.

It is the number of perfection - with the number of man being six (thus just short of perfect). The "Number" of God is Three, incidentally, and the world is four - thus seven is the number of completeness, the combination of world and God.

Isiah 11:2 : “The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him — the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD"

Seven if you count the Spirit of hte Lord as a seperate Spirit to the innumerated ones

Edited by Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

True.

The number 3 is mentioned 523 times in the bible

That said, 7 occurs (ironically) 700 odd times - 54 of which are in Revelation.

It is the number of perfection - with the number of man being six (thus just short of perfect). The "Number" of God is Three, incidentally, and the world is four - thus seven is the number of completeness, the combination of world and God.

Nice one,sir. Maybe the reason that it is so prominant in Revelations.....

NB we should not forget the 7 pillars of wisdom or the 7 wonders of the ancient world

Edited by laver

Don't forget the tree faces of the goddess.. The maiden.. The mother and the crone

Ok days of the week

Pretty much they are from worship days of the old gods.. Left over from the Norse beliefs

Sunday - sun's day. Goddess Sunna

Monday - moon's day - god Mani

Tuesday - tiw's day - god Tiw or Tyr

Wednesday - god Wodan or better known as Odin

Thursday - easy one this one. God Thor

Friday - goddess or Freya

Saturday - this one is roman.. God Saturn

IMHO, it has something to do with "Miller's Law" - the number of objects humans can remember.

I thought, at least for numbers in a sequence, that was about 4 or 5, which is why PINs, door codes and car registration plates are all 3-4 numbers.

Edited by Wearer of Hats

I thought, at least for numbers in a sequence, that was about 4 or 5, which is why PINs, door codes and car registration plates are all 3-4 numbers.

Miller's law says that a person normally can retain or process only seven give or take two (7±2) items (chunks) of information in their correct serial-order, in his or her short-term (15 to 30 seconds duration) memory. However, it is accepted more as a rule of thumb than a scientifically proven fact. It's also called Miller's Magic Number.

I realize that this is again the number 7, so this might be an explanation as well. Subconsciously it was used already in the olden times,because it is the amount we are able to remember. Just another possibility I suppose.

Edited by TheSearcher

Whatever your number of choice, you can find evidence to suggest it's holy/sacred/swell/discotastic. I've always thought it interesting that twelves and twenties are basic to various languages -- in English, each number up to 12 has its own word, then we go to three-ten, four-ten, five-ten and so on to 20. In French, the numbers go up to sixty and then go six-ten, four-twenties and four-twenties-ten, yet Latin isn't like that.

I suspect our Past Basset Masters sat down with the Germanic and Gallic ancestors in the Dark Ages and gave them this info to make sure they would ceaselessly fight over the next 1,500 years over which is the holiest of numbers, 12 or 20. It's all covered in my forthcoming, mind-blowing expose We Are As Fleas On Their Backs: The Secret History of Our Past Basset Masters.

--Jaylemurph

I realize that this is again the number 7, so this might be an explanation as well. Subconsciously it was used already in the olden times,because it is the amount we are able to remember. Just another possibility I suppose.

It might be a plausible explanation based on an oral tradition. Just speculating.

However, I do recall hearing that easier to remember larger amounts of information in song. Perhaps, this might be why bards were important. Again, I'm just guessing.

The prominence of number 7 doesnt arise from the christian era or anything, it much older.

The imporatnace of number 7 would have originated with the Indo-Eurpoean expansion.

India/Hinduism has

• The 7 notes of music - sa ni da pa ma ga ri sa
  • The 7 days of a week, which originated from astronomy and myth/religion/pantheons - Ravivar (from surya or the sun), Somvar (which originated from soma or the Moon), Mangalvar (which originated from Mangala, or Mars), Budhwar (which oriignated from Budha or Mercury), Guruvar (which originated from Guru or Jupiter), Shukravar (originating from Shukra or Venus) and Shanivar (originating from shani or Saturn). Indian Astrology includes the Moon also in it as Rahu ( referring top the North Lunar Node) and Ketu (referring to the South Lunar Node) giving rise to the Navagraha (the Nine celestial bodies)
  • The 7 lower planes of existence -bhuloka , bhuvarloka, svargaloka, maharloka, janaloka, tapoloka and satyaloka/ Brahmaloka
  • The 7 planes of Consciousness -annamaya, pranamaya, manomaya, vignanamaya, janah, tapo and Brahma
  • The 7 planes below earth, or the "hells" - atala, vitala, sutala, mahatala, tatatala, rasatala and patala.
  • The 7 divisions of the Planet into spheres or dvipas or islands -jambu, shaka, kusha, krauncha, shalmali, pluksha and pushkara
  • The 7 Seas -kara, ksheera, sura, ghrita, rusa, dahi and jala
  • The 7 tounges of Agni/Fire or the sapta jivhas , which corresponds to the seven energies of the human body, the saptadhatus - kali, karali, manojava, sulohita, sudhumravarna, visharuch-devi and sphulingini.
  • Surya the Sun God is depicted as riding in a chariot pulled by seven horses.

Edited by The_Spartan

I know what is the mystery behind number 1.. It represents monday and its time to go to work again :cry:

Don't even get me started on mondays....... :td::hmm:

Whatever your number of choice, you can find evidence to suggest it's holy/sacred/swell/discotastic. I've always thought it interesting that twelves and twenties are basic to various languages -- in English, each number up to 12 has its own word, then we go to three-ten, four-ten, five-ten and so on to 20. In French, the numbers go up to sixty and then go six-ten, four-twenties and four-twenties-ten, yet Latin isn't like that.

I suspect our Past Basset Masters sat down with the Germanic and Gallic ancestors in the Dark Ages and gave them this info to make sure they would ceaselessly fight over the next 1,500 years over which is the holiest of numbers, 12 or 20. It's all covered in my forthcoming, mind-blowing expose We Are As Fleas On Their Backs: The Secret History of Our Past Basset Masters.

--Jaylemurph

Hey Jayle, long time no see (like I'm the one that should be talking). I need to add something to your French facts here, which does have it's importance. What you say is in actuality only correct in France. In Belgium there are the words Septante = 70 and Nonante = 90 and the Swiss have actually one more Octante or Huitante (depending on region) = 80.

Edited by TheSearcher

--Jaylemurph

I thought your basset would migrated to the happy hunting grounds...and seriously dude, i thought you had kicked the bucket.

Welcome back!!

7 deadly sins?

Or the important 7 course dinner..

• Like 1