Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Homosexuality and Religion

I was wondering the other day: Why are so many religions against homosexuality? I assume that long ago when many of these religions were founded, homosexuality was considered repulsive or disgusting, but why? At what point did somebody decide that homosexuality was wrong?

I came to two conclusions:

1) In the more uneducated days when many religious texts were written, was it thought that homosexuality was largely responsible for the transfer of STDs, or was just plain unhealthy? Remember that in the Dark Ages many people feared that baths would sicken them; Could the same sort of thing have been going on against homosexuals? Perhaps a scapegoat for the diseases was required and homosexuality was named as the cause? This fear would eventually disappear, only leaving religious followers with a general dislike for homosexuality, even if they don't remember the cause.

2) Maybe the dislike for homosexuals was more hard-wired into the ancient people's minds; They may have had a stronger need or urge to breed and produce children than we do today; Homosexual activities would have been regarded as useless and selfish. Once again, this 'general dislike' would be passed down until the real reason was forgotten.

Either way, there has no doubt been an increase in homosexual acceptance in our communities, but why are we only now reaching levels of acceptance that the Japanese had in their ancient and feudal days? Homosexuality was widely accepted in Japanese culture prior to the intrusion of the Western viewpoint. Assuming either one of my proposed theories is true, then why was Japan excluded? Evidently dislike for homosexuality is not something that is inherent in all heterosexual humans, which only furthers the question of why the Abrahamic religions and some others have been against homosexuality for many years.

Any thoughts or alternate theories? :)

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Paranoid Android

• Glacies

• rose_ashes

first of all.. your giving humans too much credit. Do you really think they were entirely sure how women got pregnant? Think of it sort of like if you grew up and no one knew were babies came from.. it would take awhile before humankind could figure it out. Thats besides the point.

Perhaps it had to do with wanting to be the masculine influence in the house, or wanting to care for a woman... or plain out the same problem.. they dont understand homosexuality and therefore fear it.

Actually the last one makes the most sense since the some cultures arent about brunt force.. less about being a dominant male

:D Goodie another intresting topic

I could never understand as to why some churches disapprove of homosexuals. I often wondered as to what exactly is it that they fear? To me those that disapprove of gay people have not once considered that these people are flesh & blood like everyone else and are all part of Gods family just like them....so what's the big deal? :blink:

A minister came on to Sky News claiming that God sent the Tsunami was sent to stop gay pride marches (yea I know I have said this before but I still can't get over it)

I had a bit of a conversation with another member on this yesterday and I pointed out a few things....Have you ever asked a gay person any questions such as - how old where you when you 1st came to terms that you where actually gay? ect thing is he didn't ask such a thing, and all I can say is if you don't ask questions (in a nice mannor btw) how else are you ever going to learn anything about anyone????

I have two cousins that are gay, one of my cousins Sarah only found out she was gay 5 years ago and she told my dad that she was really frightened of it all, as she dated guys but was never at ease with them, and it took a lot of currage for her to come out and finally come to terms with it and say it...I am gay!

IMO (and I think I am right on this one) people do NOT choose to be gay, they are born like that and it can take years before they realize it and have to deal with it. Some marry people from the opposite sex and love that person to the best they can thinking it would make their homosexuality go away but it finally catches up with them and thats when they have to come clean and tell their partner and I can only guess it must be harder for them.

If ministers & priests looked more into it and learned more about gay people then they would be a lot more understanding.....ironically priests that claim to be against it yet some have been known to mess around with young boys :blink:

first of all.. your giving humans too much credit. Do you really think they were entirely sure how women got pregnant?

Surely they knew that if they did "that thing" with a woman enough eventually a baby would be born. They would have noticed that this didn't happen with men. The rest of your points are valid and food for thought though.

"At what point did somebody decide that homosexuality was wrong?"

nature chose for them, people im affraid DO choose to become homosexual due to numerous personal circumstances and influences. Your genes do not make you gay. I personaly dont agree with it all, i kinda see it as takin the utter p*** out of nature. But that doesnt mean people cant do what they what, i know a few gays and it aint up to me to tell them how to live their life, up to them, each to their own. Just not my thing to be honest OR GODS, lol.

nature chose for them, people im affraid DO choose to become homosexual due to numerous personal circumstances and influences. Your genes do not make you gay. I personaly dont agree with it all, i kinda see it as takin the utter p*** out of nature. But that doesnt mean people cant do what they what, i know a few gays and it aint up to me to tell them how to live their life, up to them, each to their own. Just not my thing to be honest OR GODS, lol.

Where's your proof? :rolleyes: . 99% of the homosexuals I've met in my life have said "I was born gay, I didn't become gay" It's not a choice, as they tell me. Also, anyone who doesn't like homosexuals should stay in their little homes and rot their as they cannot face society.

Edited by Nadal

Actually just like animals humans when a certain age get the instinct to breed.

I knew a person who willed themselves out of being gay. I think it is the way you are brought up that effects you. Also, the environment you are in.

I knew a person who willed themselves out of being gay. I think it is the way you are brought up that effects you. Also, the environment you are in.

Is that really willing yourself out of it, or just masking it?

as i said i know plenty gays, their sound people, lots of people in the work place are gay and sound. However i just do not happen to agree with the choice they have made. I am entitled to think what i want to think on the matter. It's funny though how so many people have had all this political correctness sh** jamd into thier head, as soon as anyone says they dont agree with someone choice to be gay, their lambasted as some sorta gay hater, lol.

My proof?, i dont need any proof, your genetic make up was established so that men and women would have sex and make babys. Maybe nature is the fascist for not making more gays, is that what your trying to say nadal?. The fact is 99% of men who are gay choose to be gay, probably because their mum made them gay lol[is a joke, but its kinda true] but they want to hide from that fact, for whatever reasons its up to them.

No, seriously willing yourself. Just changing your ideas. Some people think that ideals, and beliefs are all implanted in your psyche at a young age. All you have to do is change it. Humans arent born to do a certain thing. We're free willed. We choose.

Edited by Aaleyah-Abqurah

I'm glad there are gays it helps with the population

Is that really willing yourself out of it, or just masking it?

Masking it IMO how can you suddenly stop being Gay if you are born that way?

What also angers me is people thinking if a Gay couple addopts a child that the child will grow up gay wtf? :blink: Some people don't know how to broaden their minds and think seriously about these kind of things.

Where's your proof? :rolleyes: . 99% of the homosexuals I've met in my life have said "I was born gay, I didn't become gay" It's not a choice, as they tell me. Also, anyone who doesn't like homosexuals should stay in their little homes and rot their as they cannot face society.

THANKYOU... :)

I have spoken to a number of gays including my own cousin and every last one say they where born like it but it took some time to come to terms with it...it can be hard to deal with but in the end you have no choice

No, seriously willing yourself. Just changing your ideas. Some people think that ideals, and beliefs are all implanted in your psyche at a young age. All you have to do is change it. Humans arent born to do a certain thing. We're free willed. We choose.

I am sorry but I don't agree that anyone chooses to become gay :huh:

have you ever considered that it could be a kind of disorder? something someone cannot help that IS genetic?

i have suffered from depression since i was six years old (that was when i was officially diagnosed with it. i had problems with it long before that.) depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. could homoseuxality not be the result of an imbalance as well? think about it, if a male is born with an abnormal ammount of estrogen or vice versa, could that not make them gay?

secondly, who in the world would ever CHOOSE to be gay?!?! they would be choosing to be hated by the majority of society and discriminated against constantly. most of those who ARE gay spend years trying to deny it but eventually give up. then, when they finally admit that they are gay and can't do anything about it, everyone accuses them of "turning" gay. it's not a choice for most. it's a condition that they have to live with. and boy, do people make it hard for them to live with it.

Why not? Is it a bad thing to willingly become gay? Im not saying they wake up and say, today Im going to be gay, but Im saying that things in their environment have subconsciously made their thoughts lean that way. And even if you woke up and said, today I will be gay, you can still convince your mind, just as many people lie to their own minds and believe it. Its all psychological.

first of all.. your giving humans too much credit. Do you really think they were entirely sure how women got pregnant?

I'm fairly certain they knew how women got pregnant. It's evident on walls, paintings, etc.

I'm fairly certain they knew how women got pregnant. It's evident on walls, paintings, etc.

I agree. Besides, even animals can figure it out. :)

most of the gay men that i have spoken too are in their 30,40's and usually been married for well over 10-15 years before they CHOSE to become gay, and these are guys who you wouldnt even know are gay, becuase they dont advertise it like so many others, it is those types of gay people[yes, u actually get different types of gay people], the who advertise it that always tell you they were born gay, the fact is they just dont know WHY their gay but knew they had a flare for the dramatics so they say that. I think thats dissapointing, at least try and be honest. People choose to be gay, as i said before our genes are designed for men and women to have sex and have babies. If you look at homo-sexuality in any ancient culture, it is plainly obvious to see why homosexuality began to occur within their societys, it is no different than today.

as i said before our genes are designed for men and women to have sex and have babies.

Could it not be a flaw or imperfection in certain people's 'straight' genes which causes them to be homosexual?

most of the gay men that i have spoken too are in their 30,40's and usually been married for well over 10-15 years before they CHOSE to become gay,

Evidently their homosexuality was repressed or dormant until that time. Getting married doesn't mean you're not gay.

Edited by angrycrustacean

Why not? Is it a bad thing to willingly become gay? Im not saying they wake up and say, today Im going to be gay, but Im saying that things in their environment have subconsciously made their thoughts lean that way. And even if you woke up and said, today I will be gay, you can still convince your mind, just as many people lie to their own minds and believe it. Its all psychological.

I see what you are saying but again as I know a lot of gay folk and related to some, I have asked such questions and every answer was the same..they felt as if they where born that way and got confused by it at times, some where scared of it. I don't think anyone will wake up some day and say - "Hmm I think I might try and be gay" it's not like joining some kind of cult or religion ect...i'trs something that is within a person and it's something they have to deal with....please don't think Aaleyah I am nit picking or anything I just want to state a few points is all... :)

And lets not be discriminative. If a person is gay, it doesnt make them worse. There's nothing wrong with deciding to be gay.

i know that! and i know that there are some people influenced by events in their childhood, but i think that the majority of gays do not make any kind of choice. i think that it is a genetic issue or medical issue.

i think nothing less of them. gay people are just like everyone else. they're different, but so are we. you like a certain kind of music, while i probably like another kind. does that make one of us bad? no. it just makes us individuals with different opinions.

i'm just saying that because society is so negative towards the gay population, no one in their right mind would CHOOSE to be gay. it's not a bad thing by any means, but it's not a fate that someone would willingly choose.