Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Too rude?

S2F

I'll just keep this short. I have noticed that members have been a little too quick with the insults or snide remarks or even straight out name calling. I'm not going to mention names, and nobody else should either, but I have noticed it usually from both sides of a debate. Has it been happening more lately, or am I just noticing it more than I used to? Does anybody else see this as well, or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Any input would be appreciated. :tu:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• S2F

• Rosewin

• Still Waters

I totally agree it is happening, but I couldn't say for sure that it is more than usual, I suppose it depends how many topics you get involved in. I usually 'back off,' and sometimes back out altogether. Life is too short to sit reading people abusing one another, or indeed to rise to the bait.

Life is too short to sit reading people abusing one another, or indeed to rise to the bait.

Agreed. Usually I try to remain civil in a discussion and I've only had minor problems in the past, but I still don't like to read rude comments about other people. It tends to disrupt things and I've seen it get threads shut down. Personally I don't see why it's hard for some to remain civil, though I suppose anonymity is a factor. I was raised with the old "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all" mentality. After a few smacks in the back of the head, I caught on pretty quick, my mom wouldn't put up with nonsense. :lol:

* Another thought occurred to me, it is possible that some see this as a way to vent daily frustrations. Which IMO is still a poor excuse.

Edited by Slave2Fate

Agreed. Usually I try to remain civil in a discussion and I've only had minor problems in the past, but I still don't like to read rude comments about other people. It tends to disrupt things and I've seen it get threads shut down. Personally I don't see why it's hard for some to remain civil, though I suppose anonymity is a factor. I was raised with the old "If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all" mentality. After a few smacks in the back of the head, I caught on pretty quick, my mom wouldn't put up with nonsense. :lol:

* Another thought occurred to me, it is possible that some see this as a way to vent daily frustrations. Which IMO is still a poor excuse.

Some people just like to bicker I guess, and some people didn't have a Mom like yours! I think it is kind of stupid to get involved in a discussion and then deride the other person just because you disagree with them or don't particularly like their ideas, what is the point in discussing a topic with people you agree with anyway? Might as well talk to yourself??!!!

"Be quiet Misty!" "Oh, okay then Misty!"

There seems to be a lot of arrogance and members that feel they are better educated or know more than others, there are certainly more armchair experts of all fields… there are more members that feel their opinion is right and won’t accept anything else.

I tend to see repetitive posts… many members ram their opinions down the throats of others time and time again in the same thread, why can’t they just say their pieces and move on?

There is certainly more flaimbaiting and snide comments and certain members that are targeted.

There seems to be a lot of arrogance and members that feel they are better educated or know more than others, there are certainly more armchair experts of all fields… there are more members that feel their opinion is right and won’t accept anything else.

I tend to see repetitive posts… many members ram their opinions down the throats of others time and time again in the same thread, why can’t they just say their pieces and move on?

There is certainly more flaimbaiting and snide comments and certain members that are targeted.

I know exactly where you are coming from when you say their are "armchair experts of all fields" I can't believe the arrogance of some of the members, sometimes.

I know exactly where you are coming from when you say their are "armchair experts of all fields" I can't believe the arrogance of some of the members, sometimes.

Having said that... we have to remember that UM is very well moderated and teh cleansing staff are very quick to respond.. and there is a report button to report any posts or members.

Having said that... we have to remember that UM is very well moderated and teh cleansing staff are very quick to respond.. and there is a report button to report any posts or members.

Very true, though I have never used the report button, it's good to know you can. :)

As always if you come across this kind of behaviour on the forums, even if you're not participating on the thread, Don't feel shy about hitting the report button which is located at the bottom of every single post. There is a very good and helpful moderating team on this site, make use of us!

This will alert the moderating team to come and review what is going on. The forum is so big and generates so many posts per day, it's impossible for us to read every single post or always see what is going on. But your help can be invaluable by alerting these kind of posts to us. We all have the potential to make and shape what the community is :tu:

As always if you come across this kind of behaviour on the forums, even if you're not participating on the thread, Don't feel shy about hitting the report button which is located at the bottom of every single post. There is a very good and helpful moderating team on this site, make use of us!

This will alert the moderating team to come and review what is going on. The forum is so big and generates so many posts per day, it's impossible for us to read every single post or always see what is going on. But your help can be invaluable by alerting these kind of posts to us. We all have the potential to make and shape what the community is :tu:

Don't get me wrong, I think the Mods are doing a great job. :tu:

I usually only use the report function if something is directed towards me. I guess I just assume others will do the same. If I see something getting out of hand though I'll use the report button from now on. I suppose my point is I wish we didn't have to use it at all. (but I know that isn't a realistic view)

I have noticed alot of name calling in the treads, I think people need to remember there is no need for this kinda behavior no one is going to listen to you or respect you when your just posting some flamming remark, I seen a person the other night who had just joinned and every thread they posted in it was some kinda hateful remark, calling member's Insane and stupid, If thats how you feel then why join a site that allows people to post what they believe?.. :hmm:

If thats how you feel then why join a site that allows people to post what they believe?.. :hmm:

Sometimes I think people forget that this is a site for everybody. (providing they follow forum rules)

I've been a member of these forums for going on

3 years now, and I haven't noticed much of a differance

since the day I joined. Sure you'll always have an idiot

pop up from time to time trying to cause trouble, but I

don't think that the quality of the people here has gone

down at all. :tu:

I've been a member of these forums for going on

3 years now, and I haven't noticed much of a differance

since the day I joined. Sure you'll always have an idiot

pop up from time to time trying to cause trouble, but I

don't think that the quality of the people here has gone

down at all. :tu:

You are probably correct, It may be that I am just noticing it more than I used to. I still wish we could get along more, simply because it is conducive to discussion. I have had many good discussion that somehow seem to get blown apart by rude comments and abusive behavior. I believe that there is a formal debate going on that covers whether or not outlandish posts shut down a conversation. I would have to say yes, they do from what I have seen.

Its the internet.

Yeah, that probably sums it pretty well. :lol:

Still not a good excuse though. :tu:

Slave2fate,

I completely agree to what you are saying here. I too see more flaming and rude behaviour as well so I dont think it is your imagination. Keep in mind that there is allot of newbies whom havent understood the rules perhaps or havent been reported yet. I think it is good that you expressed your opinion on the matter, that means that you care about the morality of this awesome website. It brings up important issues and remeber if things really take a turn for the worst and something bothers you more than it should, report or PM a moderater, they will help you in the matter. They usually do. Like others mentioned here in the thread, the report button isnt there for nothing. I know you are like me , if you feel it isnt directed twords you , don't use it , right? Usualy. I personaly think allot of member don't realize that if they are being subject to abuse by another meber they can use the report button. Either way it is good that it concerns you , as it does me.

Peace out !

Abecrombie :tu:

Great advice. I agree 100%. This should cull the outlandish posts.

Ever since that crazy Monkey suit was put in that icebox, this site has seen its fair share of crazies, i can almost guaranty there were over 500 new members the week of the Georgia Monkey suit incident. I have been here a while to and i have noticed a few crack pots but i don't remember ever calling a Mod, i play it safe and sit back and watch. :yes:

Slave2fate,

I completely agree to what you are saying here. I too see more flaming and rude behaviour as well so I dont think it is your imagination. Keep in mind that there is allot of newbies whom havent understood the rules perhaps or havent been reported yet. I think it is good that you expressed your opinion on the matter, that means that you care about the morality of this awesome website. It brings up important issues and remeber if things really take a turn for the worst and something bothers you more than it should, report or PM a moderater, they will help you in the matter. They usually do. Like others mentioned here in the thread, the report button isnt there for nothing. I know you are like me , if you feel it isnt directed twords you , don't use it , right? Usualy. I personaly think allot of member don't realize that if they are being subject to abuse by another meber they can use the report button. Either way it is good that it concerns you , as it does me.

Peace out !

Abecrombie :tu:

I don't always think it's the "Newbies" though Abecrombie. I am not referring to you, by the way, who has been here since the dawning of time!! :) but, I do think that there are members who have been here a long time that like to throw their weight around and can be very condescending towards "Newbies," a kind of "We/I am SO much more important than you, because I have been here for years." Know what I mean? :hmm:

I have noticed alot of name calling in the treads, I think people need to remember there is no need for this kinda behavior no one is going to listen to you or respect you when your just posting some flamming remark, I seen a person the other night who had just joinned and every thread they posted in it was some kinda hateful remark, calling member's Insane and stupid, If thats how you feel then why join a site that allows people to post what they believe?.. :hmm:

I totally agree with you hun. I like to come to UM to let my hair and not have to feel like Im pulling it out. lol

Its frustrating when posters repeat and repeat and blah blah.... on my prefered thread choices It sometimes seems like groundhog day and I wonder if they are just cutting and pasting the same convos.

Admittedly I post with whats on my mind and how my moods are for that day. If one is to share info then do it as genuinely as you can. Be yourself with the respect of others.

Peace n Love. :tu::wub:

I guess maybe it's because I generally post on forums with a large factor of elitism, but UM is by far the most polite forum I have ever been on.

I never really noticed before I was on UM how large of a presence the baby boomers were on the internet.

Too Rude... Really?

Of all the forums you can join on the world wide web this one may be up there with the most tame

It is also heavily administrated

It would be better if the boards were more argumentative

That's just an opinion ;)

Silence!

You're all morons!

;)

Don't make me kick your butts!

:P

Don't MAKE ME pull this thread over!