Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

York Haunted Pubs investigation - Part 1

likwidlite

York Haunted Public House investigation. (Part 1)

28/11/2015

Start Time 14:00 GMT

With such a large selection of apparently "Haunted" Pubs in York, Yorkshire, England. Myself and two other investigators set about investigating the presence of Spirits in 6 of the most infamous establishments. Our aim was to retrieve unquestionable evidence of paranormal happenings.

In order to keep My identity and that of the other investigators private (this is the internet after all). I will us aliases based of Famous English people.

• I will refer to myself as 'Peter' after The famous comedian Peter Kay
  • Investigator 2 will be 'Winston' after Winston Churchill
  • Investigator 3 will be 'Ray' after the famous English actor Ray Winston

Equipment

• Thermal Camera (app)
  • 3x digital Cameras (Mobile Phones)
  • Small thermometer
  • Bicycle Tachometer

Pub 1

On arriving in the Black Swan we discovered a rather small and crowded establishment. After a few moments loitering, we found a small table near the bar and inner entrance to Bar area of Pub. Winston proceeded to prepare the cameras whilst Ray took readings from the Thermometer and Tachometer and I ordered a round of drinks.

First readings;

• Idle Room Temperature 22.3c @ 14:15
  • Tachometer speed 0.0mph @ 14:15

Whilst taking the readings a small but sturdy man in a denim shirt with silver rings on each finger and several threaded to a silver necklace asked what all the impressive equipment was for? We explained we were investigators investigating paranormal happenings and trying to gather irrefutable evidence of their existence. He explained that he was very susceptible to spirits and in a Pub once had felt a presence that made him fall over. He also explained how he had had a mysterious man in the back of his car in Essex. Winston explained that he sometimes shouts at the moon.

At this point Ray noticed that his camera screen would only show inverted, would not take pictures and his hand would shake uncontrollably. We call this the 'UFO Effect' as it seems to happen when we or other investigators are filming UFOS. We think it is something to do with electrolites in the sub-surface water of alien craft.

Second readings;

• Tachometer speed 47mph @ 14:15

We found the reading of the Tachometer to be our first piece of solid evidence for the day. A still Tachometer on a table, not connected to a bicycle should not have a reading of 47mph! Unfortunately Rays faulty camera and inability to keep his hands still meant we had no means to document this phenomenon.

At this point the bar was 2 deep so we decided to move to the next Pub.

I will continue the write-up of the investigation in the near future should people show enough interest.

Edited by likwidlite
  • Like 1

As a Boltonian, I'm glad you're referring to yourself as Peter Kay!

If you want a really haunted pub to visit, come to the Ye Olde Man and Scythe on Churchgate in Bolton town centre. Built in 1251 it is one of the top 5 oldest pubs in Britain - and it has a plethora of spooks and ghostly occurences.

In 1651, James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (the ancestor of the man who created ice hockey's Stanley Cup), had his last meal in the pub before he was beheaded outside it for his role in the 1644 Bolton Massacre during the Civil War. A large monument with a cross on top marks the spot he was executed. His ghost is one of the many apparitions seen within the pub. The actual axe used to behead him and the chair on which he sat whilst eating his last meal are displayed in a glass cabinet within the pub.

A female customer also once ran out the pub in terror after she found blood on her hands which had dripped from the ceiling above her. The barman ran upstairs thinking the landlord had severely injured himself but he was fine. The source of the blood was never found.

2499549_acab66e1.jpg

19-ye-olde-man-and-scythe-ghost.jpg

1886137_cab423dd.jpg

The monument marking the spot where James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby, was beheaded in 1651. The Man and Scythe can been seen in the background on the right.

exec.jpg

The same view during the execution in 1651

Edited by Black Monk

Unfortunately Rays faulty camera and inability to keep his hands still meant we had no means to document this phenomenon.

So what is it exactly are you documenting a bunch of he said she said stuff?

Two questions:

(1) What is the tachometer for?

(2) Isn't this really a pub crawl?

York Haunted Public House investigation. (Part 1)

28/11/2015

Start Time 14:00 GMT

With such a large selection of apparently "Haunted" Pubs in York, Yorkshire, England. Myself and two other investigators set about investigating the presence of Spirits in 6 of the most infamous establishments. Our aim was to retrieve unquestionable evidence of paranormal happenings.

In order to keep My identity and that of the other investigators private (this is the internet after all). I will us aliases based of Famous English people.

• I will refer to myself as 'Peter' after The famous comedian Peter Kay
  • Investigator 2 will be 'Winston' after Winston Churchill
  • Investigator 3 will be 'Ray' after the famous English actor Ray Winston

Equipment

• Thermal Camera (app)
  • 3x digital Cameras (Mobile Phones)
  • Small thermometer
  • Bicycle Tachometer

Pub 1

On arriving in the Black Swan we discovered a rather small and crowded establishment. After a few moments loitering, we found a small table near the bar and inner entrance to Bar area of Pub. Winston proceeded to prepare the cameras whilst Ray took readings from the Thermometer and Tachometer and I ordered a round of drinks.

First readings;

• Tachometer speed 0.0mph @ 14:15

Whilst taking the readings a small but sturdy man in a denim shirt with silver rings on each finger and several threaded to a silver necklace asked what all the impressive equipment was for? We explained we were investigators investigating paranormal happenings and trying to gather irrefutable evidence of their existence. He explained that he was very susceptible to spirits and in a Pub once had felt a presence that made him fall over. He also explained how he had had a mysterious man in the back of his car in Essex. Winston explained that he sometimes shouts at the moon.

At this point Ray noticed that his camera screen would only show inverted, would not take pictures and his hand would shake uncontrollably. We call this the 'UFO Effect' as it seems to happen when we or other investigators are filming UFOS. We think it is something to do with electrolites in the sub-surface water of alien craft.

Second readings;

• Tachometer speed 47mph @ 14:15

We found the reading of the Tachometer to be our first piece of solid evidence for the day. A still Tachometer on a table, not connected to a bicycle should not have a reading of 47mph! Unfortunately Rays faulty camera and inability to keep his hands still meant we had no means to document this phenomenon.

At this point the bar was 2 deep so we decided to move to the next Pub.

I will continue the write-up of the investigation in the near future should people show enough interest.

I want to hear the results