Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NHL. RIP. bettman calls it off.

jeceris

gary bettman came on the tube at 1pm and told the world, there will be no NHL season this year.

no hockey, i haven't been missing as much as i thought i would, but would still like to see the league get it right and get running asap.

does anyone else care? any thoughts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Pancake

• jeceris

• MichaelS

• OlDrippy34

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a couple of years of unemployment will show some of these hockey players that they aren't all that.

I'm sorry- I've always found it a little arrogant of these players to demand more money when they already get more money than our soldiers do. A friend once said, if a hockey player gets injured, it could end their career. My response- If I get injured in the course of my duty, I could die... and I only do it for just over $118.00 a day.

Sorry. Rant's over.

well said stewey.

their collective greed makes me sick.

mostly good riddance, and i'll watch the replacements next year

i used to love hockey, but over the years i realized how dumb sports are... i really don't care anymore

Well, think about it.

Grown men are being paid millions to strap knifes onto their feet, chase a hunk of rubber across a frozen pond, and try to get it into an oversized fish net with a tree branch. huh.gif

Now lacrosse- where you get to see people beating each over the head with tree branches, is entertainment! grin2.gif

this does make me sad. only because the players were greedy, like others have mentioned. few people watch hockey in the US these days or go to the games, and they still have the audacity to ask for more money.

Edited by riotboy555

Now lacrosse- where you get to see people beating each over the head with tree branches, is entertainment! grin2.gif

490474[/snapback]

Lacrosse rocks! thumbsup.gif

Indeed I have never been able to work out why professional sports people get paid so bloody much, I could understand if it was just a little more than everyone else but its ridicolous now, they get paid far too much and now they only play for their greed and money not for the love of the game!

I used to be a big hockey fan, one of my favorite sports. Now, I realized I can live without it.

Almost missed this thread. i love Hockey but I'm more into European hockey much faster more scoring and you cant hit the guy with the puck

Maybe a couple of years of unemployment will show some of these hockey players that they aren't all that.

I'm sorry- I've always found it a little arrogant of these players to demand more money when they already get more money than our soldiers do.  A friend once said, if a hockey player gets injured, it could end their career.  My response- If I get injured in the course of my duty, I could die... and I only do it for just over $118.00 a day.

Sorry.  Rant's over.

490432[/snapback]

Whoa don't blame the players they argreed to a salary cap it's the owners fault their trying to demorilize and break up the players union to play for less and less money. What happens during a labor dispute players don't make money so they will bend to the demands but every offer the players gave up to, the owners turned around and demanded for less.

Yeah I do agree they make a lot of money but the owners are the ones that are being greedy in this dispute.

Well I personally think the players have some right to complain...after all, others sports players, baseball and basketball, etc, get paid damn near the same amount as an entire NHL team.

But all sports players are RIDICULOUSLY overpaid. There's no reason they need millions upon millions of dollars a year.

OlDrippy34

Their paid that much becuase somebody is willing to pay them for their talents. If you had a multi million dollar team and you wanted the fans to come for every game you would pay top dollar for the best player thats capitalism.

Trust me, Monsieur Pancake...I am well aware of the intricacies of capitalism. But I do find it somewhat disturbing that these people get paid such ludicrous amounts of money for putting a ball through a hoop. That and I hate basketball.

You want an awesome sport, rent or buy BASEketball. Where they don't allow players to trade teams, or teams to switch cities...and everyone gets paid the same, like when Ernest Borgnine was a kid and sports players were treated like...like...indentured servants.

It just bothers me that people can make such insane amounts of money for possessing no evident talent. Like Vin Diesel or Michael Moore. Not sports players, I know...but still talentless hacks who have more money than they'll ever know what to do with.

Well vin desiel and micheal moore and countless other talentless people make it through hype people fall for hype just like I did for constantine (I'm still p***ed of that I saw it)

but back to topic.

another psych on friday night when it seemed maybe gretzky and lemieux had it fixed.

then wake up saturday to hear that the season is still cancelled

the owners and the players are to blame here, but if the players accepted the salary cap, like they have in the nba and nfl, then we would have a league with fair salaries across the board, a better product all round.

i think the players are being the greedy ones here, and the best deal they could've had is now long gone, they've screwed themselves.

it's going to be a different game when they do get back to it.

No No No jeceris

The owners are seriously trying to crush the players union they got them by the balls becuase of the lockout the players made no money this season and they did accept but the owners keep bringing down the salary cap first it was 60 mil, then 54, then 49 thats what the players accepted again becuase they want to get the season started, then the owners lowered it to 42.5. And from there the commisioner canceled the season. Now who knows the owners may lower it again.