Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Unusual helicopter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

• Today is tomorrows yesterday, and yesterdays tomorrow.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Today there was a helicopter flying in circles over my mums house, the copter itself was a standard looking thing with no company logo or anything on it. Id say it was flying at around 200ft but hard to tell. it was all white.
   Now the unusual part was that it had two boom arms attached, one either side that stuck out maybe 8ft from the main fuselage, with what looked like a disc shape on each at the end. There was cable or pipe running along the booms to each disc.
  It was just circlng in an ever widening pattern for maybe 20 mins before moving on. Ive searched online but the only thing I can find similar is a crop dusting helicopter. I thought maybe it could have been ground penetrating radar but no other copter with this has the booms on the side. I just cant see why it would be there as theres nothing of interest that I can think of!
Anyone any ideas?

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,555 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostWGH, on 08 September 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Today there was a helicopter flying in circles over my mums house, the copter itself was a standard looking thing with no company logo or anything on it. Id say it was flying at around 200ft but hard to tell. it was all white.
   Now the unusual part was that it had two boom arms attached, one either side that stuck out maybe 8ft from the main fuselage, with what looked like a disc shape on each at the end. There was cable or pipe running along the booms to each disc.
  It was just circlng in an ever widening pattern for maybe 20 mins before moving on. Ive searched online but the only thing I can find similar is a crop dusting helicopter. I thought maybe it could have been ground penetrating radar but no other copter with this has the booms on the side. I just cant see why it would be there as theres nothing of interest that I can think of!
Anyone any ideas?
what type was the copter?

Magnetic research?

Edited by The New Richard Nixon, 08 September 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#3    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

God knows, like a standard news helicopter. bell 407 style thing? cant say for sure, Im not an aviation buff :tu:

#4    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,029 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

sounds like it was surveying. Maybe prospecting for oil. or maybe used to check gas pipelines or power lines, that kind of thing.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#5    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Could be magnetic research. I Doubt its for oil round here! could be pipeline checking but never seen one before but Ive just had an idea! maybe checking for shale gas deposits. Thanks for the insights guys. anyone else?

#6    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

I've seen similar rigs here, usually underslung however. I believe it's a magnetometer used to search for mineral deposits, or radar surveying.

#7    ReddHeadsRantings

ReddHeadsRantings

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

Refueling Chopper ?
Fire Fighting ? Water or Chemical ?

#8    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,879 posts

• I am becoming increasing allergic to B.S

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

Sorry for the necroposting but....
It sounds a lot like a sky crane. A particular type of helicopter used for airlifting large objects.

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,873 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

that helicopter is long gone now :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users