Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is it?

Grandpa Greenman

I found this picture of a Celtic stone from the Balkans. There is symbol on the stone, above the snake, of two joined Circles. What is your best guessed as to what it represents.

snake%20stone_zpsj1ebvllu.jpg

Hmm, a quick search of google for ancient Celtic symbols of sun and moon makes me think thats what it could be, one of the circles has a sort of crescent shape, they also have the 'wheel of the year'

stonecal.gif

Both symbols are known as 'Z-rods' and are often found together. They are said to be symbols of the solar cycle and the afterlife.

They are not Celtic, but Pictish.

• Like 4

I should have looked that up, Miss information, sorry. :blush: lol Anyway, what do you think the ancestors were trying to represent. with the joined circles.

Both symbols are known as 'Z-rods' and are often found together. They are said to be symbols of the solar cycle and the afterlife.

So, maybe the bite out of the one on the left might be representing a portal or door? Thanks for the information.

Actually it is only the Serpent that has the "Z" Rod going through it. Whilst they certainly appear to be Pictish symbology one has to ask what is this doing in the Balkans... Picts were never that far south - east (according to modern archaeology)

This is an interesting corollary with the stone you mention, containing all of the same elements:

The Aberlemno Serpent Stone, Class I Pictish stone with Pictish symbols, showing (top to bottom) the serpent, the double disc and Z-rod and the mirror and comb

Source (Wiki): http://The Aberlemno Serpent Stone, Class I Pictish stone with Pictish symbols, showing (top to bottom) the serpent, the double disc and Z-rod and the mirror and comb

So, maybe the bite out of the one on the left might be representing a portal or door? Thanks for the information.

My guess is that the circle with the "bite" taken out is actually a representation of a Moon phase that could link to the time of month that it was made. The other circle I would guess to be sun and they are linked to tell us the season. Much like a calendar. Still doesn't tell us what this stone is doing in the Balkans however....

Actually it is only the Serpent that has the "Z" Rod going through it. Whilst they certainly appear to be Pictish symbology one has to ask what is this doing in the Balkans... Picts were never that far south - east (according to modern archaeology)

This is an interesting corollary with the stone you mention, containing all of the same elements:

Source (Wiki): http://The Aberlemno...mirror and comb

Saying it was from the Balkans was my mistake, sorry.

Saying it was from the Balkans was my mistake, sorry.

Don't hold out on us - where is the image from?

Don't hold out on us - where is the image from?

It's the 'Newton Stone' as posted by Red Moon (Post #4 above)

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

Hi there,

This looks like the Newton Stone found in Scotland.

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3359

The two pictures are of the same stone, as both images have the exact same carving and imperfections in the stone. Is it in Scotland or the Balkans?

I thought the Picts were Celtic?

I thought the Picts were Celtic?

The origins of the Picts are hotly are disputed: one theory claims they were formed of tribes who predated the arrival of the Celts in Britain, but other analysts suggest that they may have been a branch of the Celts. The coalescence of the tribes into the Picts may well

have been a reaction to the Roman occupation of Britain. Language is equally controversial, as there’s no agreement on whether they spoke a variant of Celtic or something older. Their first written mention was by the Roman orator Eumenius in 297 CE, who

mentioned them attacking Hadrian’s Wall. The differences between Picts and Britons are also disputed, with some works highlighting their similarities, others differences; however, by the eighth century the two were thought to be different by their neighbours.

Most historians (myself included), tend to keep Picts and Celts separate, for ease of study as much as anything else.

• Like 1

Thank you, ealdwita. You have any book recommendations for information on the Picks?

Thank you, ealdwita. You have any book recommendations for information on the Picks?

Quite a bit of info on here.......... http://halfmoon.tripod.com/