Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dark times in Cyprus, are we next?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#31    mike72

mike72

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

So sad whats happening in Europe. Especially Portugal. My family is from Portugal. I will be there this summer. I'm a bit worried about the whole situation.

#32    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

A good dominoe perspective of the Cyprus syndrome

#33    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

No

#34    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,314 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Analysts say Russia may provide more funding in return for interests in Cyprus's offshore energy fields.
(link)
What a shock.
I wouldn't be surprised if all that mess was planned by Gazprom B)
Food for thought for CTers...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#35    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Whats the CT ? Im not familiar with Gazprom. Russia was going to loose alot of pat money so Cyprus is turning to them for a more reasonable bailout. Nothing wrong with looking for a better deal.

#36    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,571 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I can't think of a more effective means of CREATING a run on banks than this.  If it happens here in the US people will be in the streets.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#37    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,643 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postand then, on 20 March 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I can't think of a more effective means of CREATING a run on banks than this.  If it happens here in the US people will be in the streets.

Maybe this was some kind of social experiment? What better place to experiment than on a tiny island with localised consequences.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 20 March 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#38    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 20 March 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Maybe this was some kind of social experiment? What better place to experiment than on a tiny island with localised consequences.

There is a possibility it could have kicked things off in Greece.Things are on a Knife edge at the Moment for the Euro and Cyprus could open the Flood gates.

Edited by shaddow134, 20 March 2013 - 01:49 PM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#39    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,314 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 20 March 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Whats the CT ?[...]
Conspiracy Theory.

[...]Im not familiar with Gazprom. [...]
Russia's political weapon (just google it, plenty of articles).

[....] Russia was going to loose alot of pat money so Cyprus is turning to them for a more reasonable bailout. [...]
How much of those money belong to ordinary and honest expats, and how many of those money were put there just to avoid Russia's taxes, and steadfast gaze of Russia's crime/financial crime investigators?

[...] Nothing wrong with looking for a better deal.
Of course not, but Cyprus may have hiccups for a long time after that deal.

BTW, I'm not surprised this happened.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#40    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,285 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

the EU in a miss calculation of epic proportions as just pushed Cyprus towards Russia. im seeing news pieces Russia wants a naval base and rights to off shore oil reserves. in return for a bailout. well done EU. with German elections coming up Merkel in a bid to save her head - as resulted in others losing theirs'. what are the odds on Cyprus being the first to leave the Euro/EU. - i think they'll be the first to go. and others will follow from club Med.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#41    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,510 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 20 March 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

the EU in a miss calculation of epic proportions as just pushed Cyprus towards Russia. im seeing news pieces Russia wants a naval base and rights to off shore oil reserves. in return for a bailout. well done EU. with German elections coming up Merkel in a bid to save her head - as resulted in others losing theirs'. what are the odds on Cyprus being the first to leave the Euro/EU. - i think they'll be the first to go. and others will follow from club Med.
Steve... you are missing 50% of this equation - the IMF. The IMF is NOT tied to the EU (far from It) and even less to the Eurozone. The IMF (massively backed by the USA) approved these conditions, possibly even insisted on them, to undermine confidence in the Euro, because the Euro was fast becoming a Reserve Currency of choice over the USDollar.

Interesting that Christine Lagarde´s (Head of the IMF) flat has been raided by French Police in association with Graft investigations.

#42    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 20 March 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

The Euro is tottering like an house of cards,seriously I hope Cyprus pulls a deal with Russia just to teach the EU and Merkel a lesson.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#43    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

In my conversations with someone from Cyprus there now. There happy with the direction there Govmnt is choosing to go. Its called the Big Middle Finger for trying to RIP them off.

#44    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,285 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 20 March 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Steve... you are missing 50% of this equation - the IMF. The IMF is NOT tied to the EU (far from It) and even less to the Eurozone. The IMF (massively backed by the USA) approved these conditions, possibly even insisted on them, to undermine confidence in the Euro, because the Euro was fast becoming a Reserve Currency of choice over the USDollar.

Interesting that Christine Lagarde´s (Head of the IMF) flat has been raided by French Police in association with Graft investigations.

Keith im aware of the IMF involvement but did you listen to what the Cypriot who resigned said, the EU pushed for this raid on savings. in fact he mentions Germany,  Netherlands and Finland. but German led, and this was the miscalculation by Merkel she knows with elections coming up she (Germany) cannot be seen to be bailing out country after country. Her error of judgment comes in trying to send a message to Club Med of consequences of further bailouts and prevent the on going bailout from the wealthy north to the poorer south. so lets not turn this into some conspiracy by the IMF/USA attack against the EU. this is just another EU mistake in yet again another euro zone country. this is the fifth country out of 17 to be bailed out. we all said this was going to happen. but the pro european union posters told us time and again the EU was the next economic power house, the next super power the Euro was going to be the world currency. well look were we are today. no matter how grand the thinking sometimes you have to look at the results. the Euro will fail. and possibly the EU after that. the problem which is coming down the tracks is France and Germany. we'll be talking about this around early autumn. like i keep saying today its cyprus whose tomorrow. and i've been saying the same when Ireland was in trouble, when portugal was in trouble when greece was in trouble when italy was in trouble. were slowly going through them one by one. the bigger picture is clear the EU is flawed. the Euro is flawed. and now were facing the reality. well its not going away we face 10 years of this with worse to come.

i seen the news about the raid on Lagardes flat. but im led to believe its about her time as French minister not IMF related. but time will tell.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#45    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,314 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 20 March 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

In my conversations with someone from Cyprus there now. There happy with the direction there Govmnt is choosing to go. Its called the Big Middle Finger for trying to RIP them off.
So, if she/he will loose more than 5/10%, what finger that'll be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users