Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unusual 1st Names

spud the mackem

If you call a child by an unusual or rare 1st name,does it have a chance of becoming a great Statesman or Military leader.

A few examples are :-

Ghengis......Atilla.....Napoleon.....Horatio...Boadicea...Cleopatra...Lyndon....Dwight...Winston...Barak...Clark(No thats Superman)......!

Or will they make it to the top if they are named, Bill, Joe , or Fred ?....

This is just light entertainment as I have nothing better to do,at the moment.

Does anyone know of an unusually named friend and what their occupation is ?.

Well spud is rather odd ,as are Mitt and Tagg .lol

Cleopatra and Ghengis ,are both names of the time,and where they came from . I'd have to look up Cleopatra ,but ghengis is the Mongolian word for overlord I believe .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Hmm.. I'm trying to think.. I have a friend Darby, which isn't a rare name, but it's not as common for a girl, which she is.. a girl, I mean.. She works in a go-go bar, so I don't think that having a less-than-common name for a girl made her skyrocket to fame or fortune.. Though, she is very pretty, so she makes good tips, so there's that.. Still, that has nothing to do with her name.. You said this was for fun, so I am typing as I think.. I have a friend named Stormy, which isn't as uncommon anymore either.. She is a guitarist, but isn't in a well-known band.. Her sisters Windy and Rainy (their mother was a bit of a hippie) both work retail. I have a friend MaCray, who's on television... I doubt his success has anything to do with his name, either, as he is an awesome hairstylist and has one of the best personalities. My most successful friend (as in makes the most money) is simply named Scott. When I had each of my children, I chose their names carefully. I didn't want their names to be TOO different, because I didn't want them to not be taken as seriously in a business setting. I think those with very different names can be successful, though, I see those folks in a more artistic setting.. As actors/actresses, comedians, painters, musicians, dancers, etc.

• Like 1

I'm tired of goofy guys' names, like Flynn, Tucker, Skyler, and Todd, Stewart, Geeves, Stefan, Oscar, Cleetis, and Leslie. These are not real names! These are goofy sounding and need to be un-made up. Any father who names their son Skyler has pretty much mapped out his son's future of daily wedgies in the hallways at middle school.

I named my son skylar and I happen to love that name ahahaha jk jk!!! His name is Andy/Andrew lol just had to give you a hard time. I'm not a huge fan of some of those boy names either.

I think mothers should try to avoid naming their daughters Candy, Nikki, Krystale or any other name they wouldn't have to change if they were on stage lol

• Like 3

Yea, now Andy is a real name. Not something made up by some hippies who live in houses they built out of their own dung, lol!

He's a Jr and he would kill me if he knew I was telling this but I call him Junbug lol I've called him that since he was a baby because I didn't care for Jr it would have been confusing calling him and my husband Andy so he's my Junbug lmao but I call him Andy in front of his friends and stuff. But so I'm kind of guilty I guess for giving him a made up hippie nick name.

I know a woman who named her baby Hieronymus... after Bosch, the painter. They call him Harry though.

It's always interesting to see what other people think are odd names. Todd, Dwight, Oscar, Stefan? All perfectly normal and historical names. The only Skylar I know is a girl.

Chandler, Cassidy, Charlie (for girls), Taylor or Tyler are worn out used up names to defined a generation of children born to baby-boomers or generation-X parents imitated them. ROFLMAO! Imagine names like Rainbow and Starchild, one of Frank Zappa's children was named Moonunit and we all heard of River Phoenix, the actor with a "groovy" name.

I suggest never naming your child IT like to name "it" ... nor one of the characters from Monty Python with a real long name (I can't think of it right now), but his noble titles led him have a 20-character-name (now what a mouthful) to say to call him in his presence.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate

i knew a girl named Faiza - i thought that was a really pretty and unusual name.

i also know a woman named Braunwyn. i like that name, but it seems like a guy's name to me.

Celebs always seem to give their kids weird names. Like Penn Jillette, he has a daughter named Moxie Crimefighter. Really, what are these people thinking?

I wish I had a more unusual name. Do you know how many Sarahs I knew growing up? When i had my daughter I thought her name (Ava) was uncommon, then i find out there 3 other girls within 2 blocks of us with the same name (and same age). lol. Oh well. My son's name is Seth - not unusual but more uncommon I guess. It suprises me still how many people can't say it properly for some reason though.

i knew a girl named Faiza - i thought that was a really pretty and unusual name.

i also know a woman named Braunwyn. i like that name, but it seems like a guy's name to me.

Braunwyn is a Welsh name, i think. I remember looking into some Welsh names when i was having my daughter and liking it, but we went with "Rhian" for a middle name instead. It sounded better with her first name.

Braunwyn is a Welsh name, i think. I remember looking into some Welsh names when i was having my daughter and liking it, but we went with "Rhian" for a middle name instead. It sounded better with her first name.

rhian is pretty

is braunwyn for both male and female do you know?

I have met people with the following names:

Bicentennial

Chandelier

Lukemia (yes I did say that)

Vuneria (yes I said this too, she is Lukemia's sister)

Caysadeya (I forgot the spelling though)

Seattle

Traveller

Huckleberry

Nimrod

Iamunique

Marijuana (pronounced Mar-genae)

Two sisters named "P" and "Q"

I think there are more, but I can't think of them right now

Edited by SpiritWriter

Well there is a baby named Facebook ,and I remember reading about a baby named after a drug ,but I forget which one .It was soething like c.ialis ,or nex.ium .

I saw the name Arcangela on a tombstone recently .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

My brother was almost named Dirk, but my Mom vetoed it.

Edit:

I did see someone name Mateo(first name) Mateo(last name).

Edited by Wickian

I'm tired of goofy guys' names, like Flynn, Tucker, Skyler, and Todd, Stewart, Geeves, Stefan, Oscar, Cleetis, and Leslie. These are not real names! These are goofy sounding and need to be un-made up. Any father who names their son Skyler has pretty much mapped out his son's future of daily wedgies in the hallways at middle school.

hey buster!!.. my real name is one of those names you mentioned.. lol.. well one of the more normal ones.. it begins with T..

its not tucker, that would be a f...ker of a name to go through school with.. imagine..

ive got a child with two dykes.. he is 3.. if it was a girl, they were going to call her Queenie.. their surname is KIng.. i kind of liked it.. she would of hated it, no doubt..

i like unusual names.. but i think America takes the cake for strange names.. maybe they just seem weird to Australians??

rhian is pretty

is braunwyn for both male and female do you know?

I didn't know before, but one site on Google said that it is actually a unisex name.

CFBDSIR2149

its the name given the the new palnet found. Why do the scientists today call planets or stars found today such ridiculous names?

What happened to the old easy to remember stuff like Jupiter or Pluto? oh and Earth?

I think that for really strange names, you have to enter the world of the celebrity. (I can still remember the incredulity when Frank Zappa named his daughter Moon Unit!)

BTW - Genghis Khan means 'Great Emperor. His real name was Temüjin Borjigin.

Braunwyn (more commonly Bronwyn) is Welsh and is definitely feminine - It means 'White breasted' Although, having said that - in the Welsh language, the suffix wyn usually indicates the masculine. The feminine ending should be wen. (But that's only for geeks like me these days!)

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2