Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Unusual 1st Names

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Well there is a baby named Facebook ,and I remember reading about a baby named after a drug ,but I forget which one .It was soething like c.ialis ,or nex.ium  .
I saw the name Arcangela on a tombstone recently .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 14 November 2012 - 06:09 AM.

Miss me?

#17    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,788 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

My brother was almost named Dirk, but my Mom vetoed it.

Edit:

I did see someone name Mateo(first name) Mateo(last name).

Edited by Wickian, 14 November 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#18    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

View Postbones101proof, on 14 November 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

I'm tired of goofy guys' names, like Flynn, Tucker, Skyler, and Todd, Stewart, Geeves, Stefan, Oscar, Cleetis, and Leslie. These are not real names! These are goofy sounding and need to be un-made up. Any father who names their son Skyler has pretty much mapped out his son's future of daily wedgies in the hallways at middle school.

hey buster!!.. my real name is one of those names you mentioned.. lol.. well one of the more normal ones.. it begins with T..

its not tucker, that would be a f...ker of a name to go through school with.. imagine..

#19    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

ive got a child with two dykes.. he is 3.. if it was a girl, they were going to call her Queenie.. their surname is KIng.. i kind of liked it.. she would of hated it, no doubt..

i like unusual names.. but i think America takes the cake for strange names.. maybe they just seem weird to Australians??

#20    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,067 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Zebulon!

#21    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,733 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostJGirl, on 14 November 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

rhian is pretty
is braunwyn for both male and female do you know?
I didn't know before, but one site on Google said that it is actually a unisex name.

#22    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,608 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I once knew a US American called Cherd. Incredibly nice guy. but the name still makes me shiver.

#23    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

CFBDSIR2149
its the name given the the new palnet found. Why do the scientists today call planets or stars found today such ridiculous names?
What happened to the old easy to remember stuff like Jupiter or Pluto? oh and Earth?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#24    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I think that for really strange names, you have to enter the world of the celebrity. (I can still remember the incredulity when Frank Zappa named his daughter Moon Unit!)

BTW - Genghis Khan means 'Great Emperor. His real name was Temüjin Borjigin.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#25    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostJGirl, on 14 November 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

i knew a girl named Faiza - i thought that was a really pretty and unusual name.
i also know a woman named Braunwyn. i like that name, but it seems like a guy's name to me.

Braunwyn (more commonly Bronwyn) is Welsh and is definitely feminine - It means 'White breasted' Although, having said that - in the Welsh language, the suffix wyn usually indicates the masculine. The feminine ending should be wen. (But that's only for geeks like me these days!)

Edited by ealdwita, 14 November 2012 - 05:17 PM.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#26    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postealdwita, on 14 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Braunwyn (more commonly Bronwyn) is Welsh and is definitely feminine - It means 'White breasted' Although, having said that - in the Welsh language, the suffix wyn usually indicates the masculine. The feminine ending should be wen. (But that's only for geeks like me these days!)
thanks for the info!
i'm almost positive that she spells her name the way i have here. i think the suffix wyn is what made me feel it was masculine too.
i don't know if this is relevant but she is a lesbian...irony?

#27    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostJGirl, on 14 November 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

thanks for the info!
i'm almost positive that she spells her name the way i have here. i think the suffix wyn is what made me feel it was masculine too.
i don't know if this is relevant but she is a lesbian...irony?

I think you'll find the wyn version is the most used these days. I suppose people think it gives the name a more 'Celtic' feel to it.

Ealdwita snippet alert........

"Braunwen is the Welsh goddess of Love and Beauty. Her name has been translated as 'white-breasted', 'fair-breasted', or 'white raven', and ravens and starlings are her animals. The Alder tree belongs to her. She was regarded as a moon goddess, as well as the Daughter of the Sea. Since her attributes are similar to those of the Roman goddess, Venus, she was known as the Venus of the North Sea. She is known as "the giver of bracelets." Worshipped throughout Celtic lands, including Manx, Branwen is the keeper of the magickal Cauldron of Plenty, and she governs regeneration, growth, and healing. She is honored during each waxing moon as the Maiden, and the full moon in June is Branwen's moon. She is one of the the five goddesses of Avalon -- called by some the Lady of the Lake herself -- and along with Rhiannon and Cerridwen, is one of the three mother goddesses of Britain. Like many Celtic goddesses, she was once a real person, a princess of the house of Llyr who was wed to the High King of Ireland. An insult at her wedding feast brought war between Ireland and Wales. Her brother, Bran the Blessed, was killed during the war to rescue her from oppression at the Irish court, and when she later returned to Wales, she died of a broken heart."

(From my files)

#28    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

View Postealdwita, on 14 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

I think you'll find the wyn version is the most used these days. I suppose people think it gives the name a more 'Celtic' feel to it.

Ealdwita snippet alert........

"Braunwen is the Welsh goddess of Love and Beauty. Her name has been translated as 'white-breasted', 'fair-breasted', or 'white raven', and ravens and starlings are her animals. The Alder tree belongs to her. She was regarded as a moon goddess, as well as the Daughter of the Sea. Since her attributes are similar to those of the Roman goddess, Venus, she was known as the Venus of the North Sea. She is known as "the giver of bracelets." Worshipped throughout Celtic lands, including Manx, Branwen is the keeper of the magickal Cauldron of Plenty, and she governs regeneration, growth, and healing. She is honored during each waxing moon as the Maiden, and the full moon in June is Branwen's moon. She is one of the the five goddesses of Avalon -- called by some the Lady of the Lake herself -- and along with Rhiannon and Cerridwen, is one of the three mother goddesses of Britain. Like many Celtic goddesses, she was once a real person, a princess of the house of Llyr who was wed to the High King of Ireland. An insult at her wedding feast brought war between Ireland and Wales. Her brother, Bran the Blessed, was killed during the war to rescue her from oppression at the Irish court, and when she later returned to Wales, she died of a broken heart."

(From my files)
cool
i bet she already knew all this tho, knowing her lol

#29    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,385 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostJGirl, on 14 November 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

i knew a girl named Faiza - i thought that was a really pretty and unusual name.
i also know a woman named Braunwyn. i like that name, but it seems like a guy's name to me.
  Braunwyn is a very old Welsh ,girls name the same as Mirfanwe, (Mirvanwi) and Morwenna is Cornish, Iaian(pronounced Yaiyan) is also Welsh, but a good one is Marmaduke, old English....yuk !, and a guy in the History books at the batlle of O'Roukes Drift (South Africa) was called Gonville Bromhead,he won a Victoria Cross,for Bravery,as a Lieutenant in the Welsh Guards.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#30    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,385 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 14 November 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

Well spud is rather odd ,as are Mitt and Tagg .lol

Cleopatra and Ghengis ,are both names of the time,and where they came from . I'd have to look up Cleopatra ,but ghengis is the Mongolian word for overlord I believe .
  Hiya Simbi ? is that your real name, I love it, but Spud is a nickname given by Wurzels in Darkest Somerset England.They call you Spud if you arn't a "native" of the area,by the way a Wurzel is a Turnip or a Swede, as they call them here,which you probably know is a root vegetable. While Mackems are born in Durham, North East England. So they call us Spud and we call them Wurzel.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users