Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Aliens


  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31    quillius

quillius

    52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

  • Member
  • 4,982 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:LONDON

  • A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostLilly, on 03 January 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

Apparently this is becoming an exercise in semantics. We do not currently know if alien/extra-terrestrial life exists because we've yet to find any alien/extra-terrestrial lifeforms. Earthly life is all we're certain of at this point in time. Life on Earth does not prove the existence of alien/ET life...it proves the existence of Earthly life. Beyond Earthly life it really is all speculation.

Religious beliefs are not subjected to the same standards as science. You can't really equate the two. Religion is based on faith. Science is based on empirical evidence.

I do kind of see Nukes point here. He is saying (I think) that life on earth proves that life can begin and continue to exist.

A 'God' however isnt proven to exist anywhere.


#32    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostLilly, on 03 January 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

Apparently this is becoming an exercise in semantics. We do not currently know if alien/extra-terrestrial life exists

Well, at least I know.  They are here and some of them aren't too friendly, that much i do know.  Not believe--know.


#33    Lilly

Lilly

    Forum Divinity

  • 15,570 posts
  • Joined:16 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Female

  • "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Postquillius, on 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I do kind of see Nukes point here. He is saying (I think) that life on earth proves that life can begin and continue to exist.

Agreed, it's very, very likely that life exists somewhere else in the Universe. However, that such life is technologically advanced and capable of making a trip to Earth (even knowing that Earth exists) is highly speculative.

Quote

A 'God' however isnt proven to exist anywhere.

Exactly, and considering the nature of God never will be.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#34    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

    Often Unsatisfactory

  • Member
  • 23,824 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hammerfest

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postquillius, on 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I do kind of see Nukes point here. He is saying (I think) that life on earth proves that life can begin and continue to exist.

A 'God' however isnt proven to exist anywhere.

View PostLilly, on 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Agreed, it's very, very likely that life exists somewhere else in the Universe. However, that such life is technologically advanced and capable of making a trip to Earth (even knowing that Earth exists) is highly speculative.



Exactly, and considering the nature of God never will be.
If you want to see God, look around.
That's what i say.




[/gnomic]

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#35    DBunker

DBunker

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,485 posts
  • Joined:26 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostSaru, on 03 January 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

It looks like the domain is blacklisted however the specific file being linked to was only an image file so it's likely no harm was intended.

That was weird..... sorry about that.


And no, silly believers, its not a conspiracy against you. :rolleyes: :P

Edited by DBunker, 03 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#36    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostDBunker, on 03 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

That was weird..... sorry about that.


And no, silly believers, its not a conspiracy against you. :rolleyes: :P


I won't be looking at any more of your links, Mr. Virus.


#37    DBunker

DBunker

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,485 posts
  • Joined:26 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 04 January 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

I won't be looking at any more of your links, Mr. Virus.

Fine, but the next time your computer acts crazy..... you will be thinking of me.  :tu:  :yes:  


YES YOU WILL.  :yes:

Edited by DBunker, 04 January 2013 - 12:25 AM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#38    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 16,852 posts
  • Joined:15 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Planet TEXAS

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

@$*%%^   %#(%)##) YEah what THe Mc-G said ! Did I take that pill yesterday ?

This is a Work in Progress!

#39    SwampgasBalloonBoy

SwampgasBalloonBoy

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Joined:02 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:1 Star State

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostHMS Dreadnought, on 03 January 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

I once had a vivid dream where I was dating Rihanna, I did not use this as the basis for a belief system, the mind boggles. :no:

I had this weird dream that Rhianna was being choked near death by her boyfriend, only to found out that she's still with the guy. It must only be a dream since, in real life, no sane person would still stay with the said boyfriend :no:


#40    khol

khol

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

regarding the initial topic i find it quite hard to fathom a seperate species could evolve along side us and then surpass us by light years in technology and evade there prescence
it does seem highly unrealistic in my opinion
i firmly believe tho of life elsewhere...in what forms who can say?
theres mounting evidence that early comet impacts seeded our planet with the necessarry building blocks that allowed life to take hold here
the chemistry involved could have evolved elsewhere or dare i say fabricated by an advanced civilization and then dispersed into the cosmos
i'm also quite open to the possibility that it all began here on earth...which is still incredibly amazing!
also extraterrestial life doesn't have to originate from this universe
physics research eludes to a reality full of extra dimensions and multiple universes with infinite possibilities
there could be many forms engaging this planet and we would be completly unaware
i have to say with all the skeptics out there this "alien abduction" thing is somewhat of a curiousity to me
there seems to be alot of strong,valid information coming from some of these people involved...not all but some
whats so hard to believe?..i mean its pefectly plausible
when a guy like John Mack (RIP) steps forward with his credentials,writes books on the subject...you gotta wonder,is there something to this?
in my opinion we are the only ones from earth..alone,clueless..destroying this pristine planet with our greed and atrocities
did another technologically advanced species evolve here...probably not

Edited by khol, 04 January 2013 - 04:13 AM.


#41    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 30,405 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Postkhol, on 04 January 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

regarding the initial topic i find it quite hard to fathom a seperate species could evolve along side us and then surpass us by light years in technology and evade there prescence
it does seem highly unrealistic in my opinion
i firmly believe tho of life elsewhere...in what forms who can say?
theres mounting evidence that early comet impacts seeded our planet with the necessarry building blocks that allowed life to take hold here
the chemistry involved could have evolved elsewhere or dare i say fabricated by an advanced civilization and then dispersed into the cosmos
i'm also quite open to the possibility that it all began here on earth...which is still incredibly amazing!
also extraterrestial life doesn't have to originate from this universe
physics research eludes to a reality full of extra dimensions and multiple universes with infinite possibilities
there could be many forms engaging this planet and we would be completly unaware
i have to say with all the skeptics out there this "alien abduction" thing is somewhat of a curiousity to me
there seems to be alot of strong,valid information coming from some of these people involved...not all but some
whats so hard to believe?..i mean its pefectly plausible
when a guy like John Mack (RIP) steps forward with his credentials,writes books on the subject...you gotta wonder,is there something to this?
in my opinion we are the only ones from earth..alone,clueless..destroying this pristine planet with our greed and atrocities
did another technologically advanced species evolve here...probably not


Macks view is that Aliens are more spiritual, how do you find that his inspiration is not the stories themselves, which he originally considerers a mental illness, but the fact that he personally could not find a specific cause of the suspected illness?

Something more like the aliens in Sagan's Contact.

Terrible the way he was lost, another senseless death.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.


#42    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,089 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postbison, on 02 January 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Kevin T.; Welcome to the forum.  It's perfectly possible that our species is not the most advanced to have evolved on this planet. This proposition must remain a speculation until or unless we have sufficient scientific evidence to support it.
The common description of a supposed extraterrestrial is: a small, frail body, large head and eyes, large cranium, relative to the rest of the skull. This could all be describing a 'pedomorphic' hominid, where juvenile characteristics are retained in adulthood. Ordinary modern humans are relatively pedomorphic in comparison to the apes. Some species evolving further than we have, along the same lines could be even more so.
Some interesting finds in Southern Africa suggest the possibility of the early development of a more advanced type of hominid. These are generally classed as 'Boskopoid', after a place where their remains were found, Boskop, South Africa. These seem to have died out, perhaps leaving a few genetic traces in isolated groups in Southern Africa.
One could, instead, if so inclined,  interpret their absence as a sign that they continued to evolve, became advanced enough to  go into hiding, and finally leave the planet altogether. Such an extraordinary scenario would require a good deal more evidence than we have at present. I'm not saying that such evidence couldn't be found, merely that it hasn't been yet.

The "amazing" Boskops
Sun, 2008-03-30 11:26 -- John Hawks

[...]
Today, skeletal remains from South African LSA are generally believed to be ancestral to historic peoples in the region, including the Khoikhoi and San. The ancient people did not mysteriously disappear: they are still with us! The artistic legacy of the ancient peoples, clearly evidenced in rock art, is impressive but no more so than that of the European Upper Paleolithic or that of indigenous Australians.

And their brains were not all that big. Boskop itself is a large skull, but it is a clear standout in the sample of ancient South African crania; other males range from 1350 to 1600 ml (these are documented by Henneberg and Steyn 1993). That is around the same as Upper Paleolithic Europeans and pre-Neolithic Chinese. LSA South Africans fit in with their contemporaries around the world.

http://johnhawks.net...skops-2008.html


#43    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

    Often Unsatisfactory

  • Member
  • 23,824 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hammerfest

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Macks view is that Aliens are more spiritual, how do you find that his inspiration is not the stories themselves, which he originally considerers a mental illness, but the fact that he personally could not find a specific cause of the suspected illness?

Something more like the aliens in Sagan's Contact.


I never really understood what they were supposed to be about.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#44    Hazzard

Hazzard

    Stellar Black Hole

  • Member
  • 11,757 posts
  • Joined:25 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Inside Voyager 1.

  • Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 03 January 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

Well, at least I know.  They are here and some of them aren't too friendly, that much i do know.  Not believe--know.

People can claim knowledge all sorts of wacky stuff,... but with out something with a little more substance as evidence than someone flapping their lips, it becomes meaningless.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#45    bison

bison

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 04 January 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

The "amazing" Boskops
Sun, 2008-03-30 11:26 -- John Hawks

[...]
Today, skeletal remains from South African LSA are generally believed to be ancestral to historic peoples in the region, including the Khoikhoi and San. The ancient people did not mysteriously disappear: they are still with us! The artistic legacy of the ancient peoples, clearly evidenced in rock art, is impressive but no more so than that of the European Upper Paleolithic or that of indigenous Australians.

And their brains were not all that big. Boskop itself is a large skull, but it is a clear standout in the sample of ancient South African crania; other males range from 1350 to 1600 ml (these are documented by Henneberg and Steyn 1993). That is around the same as Upper Paleolithic Europeans and pre-Neolithic Chinese. LSA South Africans fit in with their contemporaries around the world.

http://johnhawks.net...skops-2008.html
   As I indicated before, I'm aware that anthropologists, as a whole, no longer accept the Boskop man classification as a valid one. There is at least a small chance that they are mistaken in this, and that an emotional reaction to the possibility than modern day humans are not the pinnacle of intelligent life on this planet may have played a part in this. I note that a good deal of the recent criticism of this classification, as exemplified by John Hawks' writing, adopts an emotional, insulting tone, at times.
In any case, I was merely suggesting to the original poster how he might begin if he wished to investigate a conceivable scientific basis for what he wrote. This would be preparatory to securing the evidence needed to support  the Boskop Man hypothesis, evidence which I admitted is currently lacking.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users