Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mongolian Death Worm: Legendary Creepy-Crawly

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    minuteman

minuteman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• Nothing is permanent, not even death

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

View Postswoop1234, on 26 April 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

GOD DAMN MONGORIANS!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17    Gorrak

Gorrak

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:40 PM

View Postmike gomez1, on 25 April 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

Mongolia and its deserts are some of the least explored portions of land in the world. A cryptid could exist there easily and remain unidentified by science to this day, why not. It's not like the claims are that it shoots lasers out of its head. Electric shock is a scientifically cataloged form of defense in nature by some animals. As is the spitting of acid. I won't commit 100% belief into its existence until I see one, sure. But that doesn't necessitate that I have to commit 100% disbelief in its existence just because I haven't seen one.

Problems I have with this story...

First, Is the electrocution. It works for something like an electric eel because their prey & predators are submerged in a conductive liquid. Out on a sandy desert all electric discharge would disperse straight into the ground. One would have to physically touch it with non-rubber soles on to receive the shock.

Second is it's food source. It's told that it lives off goyo. A common plant in Gobi. If that were the case an animal that deadly would easily have no predators and would spread as much as their food source allowed. There should be thousands maybe millions out in that desert by now.

Third a poison that is so strong and corrosive that you die instantly from skin contact. Thats just too perfect and fantastic of a claim for me to believe. The most poisonous animals on earth have to pierce your skin and you still have minutes to get an antidote.

Nothing about this animal really makes sense to me.

#18    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

Could always be some attributes get wildly exaggerated

A two-foot long worm becomes a five-foot monster; an animal poisonous to eat becomes venom-spitting, etc

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

#19    Mike G1

Mike G1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

View PostGorrak, on 26 April 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

Problems I have with this story...

First, Is the electrocution. It works for something like an electric eel because their prey & predators are submerged in a conductive liquid. Out on a sandy desert all electric discharge would disperse straight into the ground. One would have to physically touch it with non-rubber soles on to receive the shock.

Second is it's food source. It's told that it lives off goyo. A common plant in Gobi. If that were the case an animal that deadly would easily have no predators and would spread as much as their food source allowed. There should be thousands maybe millions out in that desert by now.

Third a poison that is so strong and corrosive that you die instantly from skin contact. Thats just too perfect and fantastic of a claim for me to believe. The most poisonous animals on earth have to pierce your skin and you still have minutes to get an antidote.

Nothing about this animal really makes sense to me.

True, but it is noteworthy that the natives have not conjured up any outwardly identifiably supernatural attributes or lore to this creature. As in it possessing the ability to take one's soul, or attribute its presence to negative spiritual forces, for example. For most intents and purposes, they seem to approach its existence and speak of it as they would any other potentially dangerous animal in and around that environment. It just seems that if it were merely folkloric in nature, the stories wouldn't be so scientifically plausible and mundane. Or course, I mean that comparatively to something a bit more mystical like, say, a mermaid and its reputed tendency to charm sailors to their death by chanting. All of the defensive and offensive characteristics described as belong to the Death Worm do in fact exist to some extent or another within nature. Mostly by animals that are in no way native to the Mongolian desert by any stretch and therefore largely foreign to the common populace. Unless we are to assume that the average witness carries around a biological reference dictionary around with them to study as they shepherd animals to and fro, again, what explanation can be proposed to dispel the fact that this animal and its reported abilities do not extend beyond what is known to be naturally plausible?

Posted Image

#20    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

View PostCryptozological Mascot, on 26 April 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

Icky Icky Icky poo poo!
Totally, that soundz very reasonable.  ^_^

I am an Emin of truth!

#21    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

View Postminuteman, on 26 April 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image
One of my favourite episodes of South Park. Except that the Mongolians never tore down the Great Wall, they just rode around it. :P Terrible foresight on China's part.  

But I can recall when the Mongolian Death Worm was brought up on UM before, and a member who was from Mongolia never even heard such a thing. To me, it's most likely just a local legend. And if not that, then just an undiscovered species, only one much more mundane than a giant worm that shoots electricity/acid.

Edited by Doctor_Strangelove, 28 April 2011 - 01:22 AM.

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

#22    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

Perhaps the Death Worm is the laval stage of a Mothman.

#23    Erowin

Erowin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

I don't think its misidentifying a centipede or something. Wasn't this thing supposed to be as big as a car?

Yeah, I'll chock this one up to local legend. Giant, sand-burrowing, electrical, acid spitting worm. Out of the many undiscovered species in Mongolia, I am sure this is not one of them.  :P

#24    undertheflow

undertheflow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

• To have little is to possess.
    To have plenty is to be perplexed.
    --Lao Tzu

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

I did a little research on this matter a few years ago.  I'm not convinced.

#25    Herectic

Herectic

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• "No Gods or Kings only Man."

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

I believe a giant worm could live underground. There's really no way to find out if it exists or not.

#26    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,665 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Is it anything like the Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka?

#27    TheFlyingDutchman

TheFlyingDutchman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 170 posts

• When there is no more room in hell, the dead shall walk the earth.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

View Postswoop1234, on 26 April 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

GOD DAMN MONGORIANS!
You just made my day, thank you!

#28    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

• "Do you have any evidence for that?"

"there's more to life than evidence. "

......"Get in the ****ing sack"

Dara O'Brien

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

well I guess there is one thing you can say about this worm. Its defiantly not a worm, a true worm could never survive the climate. I personally don't believe it exists.

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#29    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Its just a local legend,Like the boogeyman.

#30    George Ford

George Ford

Shadow Slayer

• 2,660 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

I think it's a mixture of stories all mixed together over time. So one man describes a snake that bit and killed someone almost immediately. Then someone else says have you heard about the black snake that lives under the water, it can leap out and electrocute people and can even kill a mighty crocodile. Then another guy says there is a snake with legs that causes you do go mad and then die in pain.

And a drunk in the corner overhears bits of this and then tells his mate and it all starts from there, over time bits have been added.

here is a video of an eel killing a croc!

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users