Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Living for ever good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

If humans get to the point were we will be abel to live forever is this good or bad?

Would you want to live forever if it was a option in this life?

Iv asked questions like this and iv got a 50/50 split it seems like. Some people just dont want to live longer then a normal life span and some people think it would be horrible for our race. Some think i is just unnatural.

I personlly would like haveing the option of deciding when to die so living forever would be good.

But what does everyone on UM think :) ?

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Bad. People need to die to keep the world going. Over-population is bad enough now.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,284 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Bad. People need to die to keep the world going. Over-population is bad enough now.
Too true!
can see it now, buildings covering every inch of the countryside, alongside factories mass producing processed food to accommodate the demands, animals being made to breed constantly in cages to produce the demand for meat, deceases spreading rampantly, the health service collapsing under the pressure....the list is endless and not pretty.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Too true!
can see it now, buildings covering every inch of the countryside, alongside factories mass producing processed food to accommodate the demands, animals being made to breed constantly in cages to produce the demand for meat, deceases spreading rampantly, the health service collapsing under the pressure....the list is endless and not pretty.
Very scary and accurate view of that scenerio.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#5    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

If we live long enough, we will be able to eventually leave this planet when technology catches up. I say this is good. Who wouldn't want to explore the universe and take all the time needed to do so? That would be a grand adventure. I think that if one were able to live forever, they may only be allowed to have one child? Maybe none? There would have to be a safeguard against overpopulation while on the Earth, it could possibly be removed after we've found alternate planets where human life can flourish.

Edited by WoIverine, 16 January 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#6    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Good for me, bad if everyone else gets to. ;3

Posted Image

~MEH~

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,284 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 16 January 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

If we live long enough, we will be able to eventually leave this planet when technology catches up. I say this is good. Who wouldn't want to explore the universe and take all the time needed to do so? That would be a grand adventure. I think that if one were able to live forever, they may only be allowed to have one child? Maybe none? There would have to be a safeguard against overpopulation while on the Earth, it could possibly be removed after we've found alternate planets where human life can flourish.
i doubt everyone would be allowed to go. Humans still have not found a way to live side by side peacefully on this planet.
I am sure there will be many protesting about who will go.....i do not want to be seated next to some serial killer or pedophile or expenses fiddling MP while traveling round the universe.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,680 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

It is a common human fantasy to want to live forever, humanity seems to have taken to the idea that we are above nature and we are somehow SO great that we should be immortal.

Personally I would NOT want to live forever, especially in the same body, on the same world seeing and doing the same things over and over.

I don't want to wait for thousands of years before general life on this planet becomes something more than just a quest to endlessly chase after jobs and worry oneself sick about whether one will even have a job the next day.

All life dies eventually.

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,322 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Not good IMO...Heck, I'm tired just thinking about it!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#10    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

One thing I remember about the Highlander series, all the immortals were wealthy. They worked, learned about finances for a long time, made their fortunes and were set for the rest of their immortal lives. Work for say 100 years, save your money, invest it and liquidate it wisely and you're set for a few hundred years on interest alone. With a good interest rate, 1 million in the bank can net you 50k + per year.

Edited by WoIverine, 16 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,290 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Boring.  Living forever would leave people unenthusiastic about things.

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,284 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

One thing I remember about the Highlander series, all the immortals were wealthy. They worked, learned about finances for a long time, made their fortunes and were set for the rest of their immortal lives. Work for say 100 years, save your money, invest it and liquidate it wisely and you're set for a few hundred years on interest alone. With a good interest rate, 1 million in the bank can net you 50k + per year.
I would rather not be around to see what the banks are going to do next, let alone save with them!

#13    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Immortality: due to scientific advancement, I'm assuming?
Provided all fields of knowledge (and human nature itself) have followed in this progress, and can solve our many problems, then sure, sounds good!
Immortality unleashed on this world of political unrest, war, overpopulation etc sounds like trouble and raises many questions about how society would adapt.
What level of immortality are we talking?
Regenerative?
Indestructible?
Resurrection?
Probably regenerative if we can choose when we die.
Sorry for all the ?s.
I think I would go for it.

#14    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostHDesiato, on 16 January 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

Immortality: due to scientific advancement, I'm assuming?
Provided all fields of knowledge (and human nature itself) have followed in this progress, and can solve our many problems, then sure, sounds good!
Immortality unleashed on this world of political unrest, war, overpopulation etc sounds like trouble and raises many questions about how society would adapt.
What level of immortality are we talking?
Regenerative?
Indestructible?
Resurrection?
Probably regenerative if we can choose when we die.
Sorry for all the ?s.
I think I would go for it.

yeah i was thinking regenerative when i made this post. Idk it seems the most likely to me.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#15    Theater of Dreams

Theater of Dreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• 'Open your eyes, Victoria!'

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostOverSword, on 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Boring.  Living forever would leave people unenthusiastic about things.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Dream Theater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users