Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay conversion killed my son

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com....v-1227138934331

That poor kid .

His parents prayed that they would not have a gay son and their worst dreams came true so they took him to their Pastor for gay conversion .

He died of a drug overdose at 18.

I think that praying to their god for a heterosexual child must be a common prayer for the Christians and other religious theory believers .

Imagine what it must be like to have the finger pointing in YOUR direction !

Everyone knows it is much more pleasant to be the finger pointer .

I know what finger I use to point at them

• Like 2

I'm against gay rights , but making your child choose between Jesus and his sexuality (whatever that means) is freaky

• Like 1

I'm against gay rights , but making your child choose between Jesus and his sexuality (whatever that means) is freaky

You're against other people having the same rights and protection under the law as yourself?

So anyway, I believe that many homosexuals are that way because of early trauma based on stories about their past that I have had related to me by gay friends over the years, but there is no doubt that some are that way because of actual physical differences in the brain (that's pretty much accepted by medical science now is it not?) but regardless of how they came to the point where they feel that way, it's not up to you or I to decide how another must feel, relate, or to a certain extent, behave.

Anyone who finds this out about a family member should try to embrace and accept that person even more passionately than they did before they knew. I have no gay family members accept a step cousin the same age as myself. All through high school (we attended the same school and graduated the same year) it seems like everyone except him knew he was gay. In our early twenties he elected to be honest with himself about who he was. He happened to be roommates with a girl that had grown up down the street from me and had no idea that through her I knew he was gay years before the family in general knew (my uncle his step-father is still in denial as far as I know) After she had confided in me via a very confused and emotional phone call on her part, even though she wasn't surprised and actually happy he was able to be honest with her, she was kind freaked out at first that her friend was actually in the next room with another guy. It was only a few days before we were all at the same bar having drinks when we ran into each other. After about 1 minute I realized that this didn't bother me because here I was having a normal discussion with the exact same guy that I'd loved as much as if we were related by blood for years. It was actually about a year before he came out to me, when he did I think he was expecting me to be revolted or confrontational, I said something like "Yeah I've known that for a long time and it hasn't bothered me before so why would it now?" gave him a firm handshake and a hug (you didn't expect me to get mushy with a gay guy did you?) and kept my mouth shut to the rest of the family.

Sorry for the novelette. Point being don't try to live other peoples lives for them and realize it's not your place to tell other people how they identify with themselves in this life. Chill.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

Personally, I am not interested in people's sexuality.

That part of my identity is reserved for husband.

Notwithstanding that I regard marriage a sacrament,

a union between a man and a woman,

I realize the types of bonds between people vary

as much as different individual's ability to commit

to any 'special other.'

Immoderation is as ugly as excessiveness is ungainly,

which is to say that I despise lechery. Even so,

so long as it is limited to consenting adults

whom are in a private setting,

it is none of my business. In that case,

"Don't tell, and I won't ask" is the one way in which

I agree with Bill Clinton.

Peace be with y'all.

Edited by aka CAT

What you wrote there, was freaky.

• Like 3

Really, there is no such thing as 'gay rights' .. Human rights , everyone should have the same rights , regardless of what your own belief system is and if your belief system is in one of the religious theories , who cares what you think ! having a make believe friend does not give YOU special rights to say who can and who cannot have rights

Yeah, that's still a 'scatter gun' approach towards human rights. The learned masses will sit back and preserve judgement.

• Like 1

This is one of the many reasons why I detest religion.

I don't detest religion, though I may question it. As in, "Why do we need religion?"

Edit: I'm an apathetic, or indifferent agnostic.

• Like 2

The concept of arbitrary sexuality is a relatively modern invention and did not exist in ancient times. It's ridiculous to think that people are born heterosexual and are doomed to that existence by some sort of genetic predeterminism. In ancient times, on could express and exult in one's sexuality at any given moment however one chose. There was no compartmentalization of human sexual behavior in the Greco Roman world.

• Like 1

It shouldn't matter if your born homosexual or if it is by choice. It's freewill. It's basic human rights. It's 2014. These debates should still not even ******* be happening.

• Like 5

First would like to point out there are the LGBT rights.

Anyway, I do not know why they can not be done for manslaughter, they opening admit they forced him towards his death, although unintentionally, but it was still coercion, they threatened him with their religion and after bringing him up all those years in the belief that god loved him and then to make him believe that because of his sexuality, it was not acceptable in the religion he grew up on and now was being forced to make a choice, which he could not do.

They drove him to his death and that should carry a prosecution, religion should not be used as an excuse for mentally abusing someone, infact this is exactly the sort of case which Teresa Mays new law should relate to, but the poor young man lived in the US and its too late for him now.

Surely there is a law in America against coercion, especially when it leads to the abused victims death?

• Like 2

The concept of arbitrary sexuality is a relatively modern invention and did not exist in ancient times. It's ridiculous to think that people are born heterosexual and are doomed to that existence by some sort of genetic predeterminism. In ancient times, on could express and exult in one's sexuality at any given moment however one chose. There was no compartmentalization of human sexual behavior in the Greco Roman world.

Well I dunno about that. There were times and places and there were other times and other places. The usual human reaction to something drastically different from what they themselves are is suspicion and in some people hate (these are known as bigots). The ancients were not free of this. Roman society for example routinely executed homosexual soldiers under Marius and earlier, and only gave it up later, and the homosexual was always seen as an "invert," someone not quite normal. Under Greek (or more accurately, Hellenic, influence, the Romans became more tolerant (although that may not really be the reason the Romans became more tolerant -- it may have just been they became less provincial).

At the end of the Roman Empire the Romans along with the rest of the world reverted to a singularly intolerant and closed frame of mind known as Christianity.

• Like 4

Well I dunno about that. There were times and places and there were other times and other places. The usual human reaction to something drastically different from what they themselves are is suspicion and in some people hate (these are known as bigots). The ancients were not free of this. Roman society for example routinely executed homosexual soldiers under Marius and earlier, and only gave it up later, and the homosexual was always seen as an "invert," someone not quite normal. Under Greek (or more accurately, Hellenic, influence, the Romans became more tolerant (although that may not really be the reason the Romans became more tolerant -- it may have just been they became less provincial).

At the end of the Roman Empire the Romans along with the rest of the world reverted to a singularly intolerant and closed frame of mind known as Christianity.

It certainly wasn't the golden age of homosexuality, as only the dominate partners were treated with respect. Alexander's parents were so afraid he was becoming an effeminate homosexual, they hired courtesans to set him on the proper path of male dominance. He still chose his partners as he pleased, just more forcefully. Don't forget what happened to poor Ovid, and he was straight as an arrow, mostly.
  • Like 1

First would like to point out there are the LGBT rights.

Anyway, I do not know why they can not be done for manslaughter, they opening admit they forced him towards his death, although unintentionally, but it was still coercion, they threatened him with their religion and after bringing him up all those years in the belief that god loved him and then to make him believe that because of his sexuality, it was not acceptable in the religion he grew up on and now was being forced to make a choice, which he could not do.

They drove him to his death and that should carry a prosecution, religion should not be used as an excuse for mentally abusing someone, infact this is exactly the sort of case which Teresa Mays new law should relate to, but the poor young man lived in the US and its too late for him now.

Surely there is a law in America against coercion, especially when it leads to the abused victims death?

Sadly, hiding behind religion seems to be a valid excuse to lead people to their deaths (and an excuse for ignorance, racism, discrimination, abuse, etc.), like with refusing to give medical help, vaccination etc. because of religious reasons. They should be sentenced the same as other criminals imho.

• Like 1

http://www.news.com....v-1227138934331

That poor kid .

His parents prayed that they would not have a gay son and their worst dreams came true so they took him to their Pastor for gay conversion .

He died of a drug overdose at 18.

I think that praying to their god for a heterosexual child must be a common prayer for the Christians and other religious theory believers .

Imagine what it must be like to have the finger pointing in YOUR direction !

Everyone knows it is much more pleasant to be the finger pointer .

I know what finger I use to point at them

The preacher gave him drugs?

Why blame a or the God when it is clearly human folly as is the case here ?

~

• Like 3

You're against other people having the same rights and protection under the law as yourself?

So anyway, I believe that many homosexuals are that way because of early trauma based on stories about their past that I have had related to me by gay friends over the years, but there is no doubt that some are that way because of actual physical differences in the brain (that's pretty much accepted by medical science now is it not?) but regardless of how they came to the point where they feel that way, it's not up to you or I to decide how another must feel, relate, or to a certain extent, behave.

Anyone who finds this out about a family member should try to embrace and accept that person even more passionately than they did before they knew. I have no gay family members accept a step cousin the same age as myself. All through high school (we attended the same school and graduated the same year) it seems like everyone except him knew he was gay. In our early twenties he elected to be honest with himself about who he was. He happened to be roommates with a girl that had grown up down the street from me and had no idea that through her I knew he was gay years before the family in general knew (my uncle his step-father is still in denial as far as I know) After she had confided in me via a very confused and emotional phone call on her part, even though she wasn't surprised and actually happy he was able to be honest with her, she was kind freaked out at first that her friend was actually in the next room with another guy. It was only a few days before we were all at the same bar having drinks when we ran into each other. After about 1 minute I realized that this didn't bother me because here I was having a normal discussion with the exact same guy that I'd loved as much as if we were related by blood for years. It was actually about a year before he came out to me, when he did I think he was expecting me to be revolted or confrontational, I said something like "Yeah I've known that for a long time and it hasn't bothered me before so why would it now?" gave him a firm handshake and a hug (you didn't expect me to get mushy with a gay guy did you?) and kept my mouth shut to the rest of the family.

Sorry for the novelette. Point being don't try to live other peoples lives for them and realize it's not your place to tell other people how they identify with themselves in this life. Chill.

I did liked this story, because of the majority of it. Although, what I highlighted in red, and I know you are saying this out of your own opinion and I respect it's your own opinion, I, in my opinion, think it's not because of the trauma despite that maybe a lot of this. I think it's coincedence that it comes out this way, because of the majority of them being treated this way. I know a lot of homosexuals of both genders who grew up in areas and families who pretty much accepted them and loved them when they came out, and thus never had a lot of that trauma, and they were homosexual nevertheless. Anyways, your story is pretty much tells me how accepting we should be. And the interesting thing is, it is telling how it's not a choice, when in a lot of cases, while the individual is wrestling with themselves and their sexual identity, everyone else pretty much knew already.

OP why was there a need to post that photo?

Two people lost their son.

I am not sure how I feel about the posted photo, but yeah two people lost their son, but it's not like they lost him to someone else's mistake. They were pretty much the ones responsible for his death, so I do not have that kind of sympathy for them.

I'm against gay rights ,

So you want them to be mistreated?
  • Like 2

I suspect if SolarPlexus were gay he would see it differently. It is typical to suppress the rights of others, and revealing.

There is disagreement as to the cause of homosexuality, and most authorities don't think there is a scientific basis for any decision. One thing though seems clear -- gays are born that way just as straights are born straight and all the other flavors in between are either genetic or at least pre-natal. Protective mothers and cold fathers and various forms of childhood trauma or being molested as a child is not relevant.

• Like 1