Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harry Potter...

odinsgrl

I happen to like the Harry Potter books, the movies are ok, too. I'm almost 30, and I still like the darn books.

Anyway, I happen to live in Albuquerque, and near me is a small town, that had a BIG uprising about the books, and even held a Harry Potter book burning, that made it to the British News, (personally I think they should have just thrown money on the fire, because they went out and bought the books they eventually burned.) And I recently saw, (on some religous channel), this woman talking about how the scar on Harry's forhead was a symbol of the Pagan God, Thor. And how the children are not good role models,because they lie, and cheat to get out of situations. She also claimed that the books should be taken out of the schools, because they impead on the "seperation of church and state". Claiming that the whitchcraft and wizardry is a direct link to Wicca.

Now, what I want to know is, does anyone else out there think this way? I can't understand how a book, that is supposed to provide entertainment and fun, be consitered wrong? And as for the Wicca thing, I was a Wicca for awhile, I don't know, but I never got taught how to turn a pet into a water goblet. Or learned to play Quiddich, while flying around on my broom. Boy I wish I had!

Input? Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seraphina

• aquatus1

• Nxt2Hvn

• 1Day@aTime

Don't feel bad.. I am 33 and I love the books... have both of the first two movies and plan on buying this one too... and am usually the first "Big Kid" in line to see the movies!

I loved this one along with all the Harry Potter movies.. I know some things were left out... but I still think the movie was great and can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Two thumbs up!

And on the Witchcraft / Wicca issue... I am a Christian and proud of it.... I just hate it when fanatics make things out of nothing.

I have heard of this too... but don't see anything wrong with any of the characters or the story lines.

Edited by Nxt2Hvn

I'm 22 and I love the books! thumbsup.gif

And on the Witchcraft / Wicca issue... I am a Christian and proud of it.... I just hate it when fanatics make things out of nothing. 

I have heard of this too... but don't see anything wrong with any of the characters or the story lines.

I agree. I too am Christian and see nothing wrong with the books. There is not really any religion at all in them. The witches and wizards are born with their powers. They just are what they are.

Wicca on the other hand is a religion and personal choice.

grin2.gif

Edited by Kellalor

I have to add.... what in the world is wrong with "imagination"???

That is what makes things entertaining.... It is so sad to see people making Mountains out of Mole Hills. w00t.gifwink2.gif

Harry Potter Rocks! cool.gif

Yes, I suppose the scar could be analogous to Thor's lightning bolt (or Zeus's, or even Yaweh's been know to use them occasionally). And Hermione's name comes from a Shakespear play. And the Hippogrif come from Greek mythology.

That my goddaughter has started reading books on ancient greek mythology simply because the Harry Potter books inspired her to is worth any number of accusations of witchcraft. That the books are so well written and logically consistent enough that one can find clues leading to the resolution, not just in each individual book, but as a whole series, is doubly exciting. As a former English teacher, I loved showing my kids how to do a critical analysis of a story, then assigning them to write a short story of their own based on that analysis (some of my kids where less enthusiastic, but hey...)

In short, I've yet to see or hear of a single child becoming deeply involved in any sort of religious conversion based on these books. At it's best, it is a stimulation intellectual joyride, at it's worst, it's an entertaining read.

I LOVE Harry Potter.

I'm 20, and a guy. tongue.gif harry potter is amazing, pure and simple.

When the first movie came out, i was all 'guk' and completely skeptical of it. Looks like just a cute movie for kids. But i was forced to sit down and watch it, and damn, i LOVED it. I liked it so much i started reading my girlfriends books. I read 1-4 in under a month, waited a year, saw the secon movie, read the 5th book, can't WAIT for the enxt one! I haven't seen the latest movie yet, i got no one to go with, but damnit i want too!

Harry Potter is a good read for anyone. It's inspiring for kids and a joy for adults. There's no reason to not like Potter at all except for being stubborn and mean. tongue.gif

Personally I can't stand Harry Potter, but hey that's just me I'm not into that kinda stuff. You know powers stuff like that. Plus I forgot who told me, but I was told it was evil you know that scar Harrygots on his heard. It was suppose to represent the devil. Has anyone heard about that? sasmokin.gif

D12, have you bothered to read any of this thread. It's a chore I know, as it runs to a monumental 6 posts before yours, and hey, whose got time to read, like, 6 posts to check that the question they ask isn't the specific topic being discussed in the thread.

dontgetit.gif

[hprant]I've loved HP since I was eight. I got just as exicted as the rest of the world when I first heard about the first movie. It was the single biggest dissapointment of my young life. The graphics were just lame, they left out some of my favorite parts, the characters are all wrong(radcliff's coloration is way off and he's too tall, grint's too short, and for some reason they put watson in that little pink sweatshirt instead of the school uniform).

They did the second one wrong too, the basalisk(sp?) was supposed to have a red plume on it's head.

It's just disgraceful. It annoys the h*** out of me to know that when the sixth book comes out, we're not gonna be able to move there'll be so many people at B & N, half of which never even read the other books, but think just cus they saw the movies they already know everything. Ya don't see people lined up outside bookstores for TP, who IMO is better than Rowling. In all honesty, all this publicity has ruined HP for me. It was a great thing, but they killed it. **sad**[/hprant]

Edited by Angelfish

That the movies fall short of the books is definitely true, though standard when one compares books to movies. The first two movies I consider Cliff Notes versions of the books. At least in Azkaban they do make the effort to have the movie stand independently of the book. They did not succeed, although I will say that it is my favorite of the three. I really feel the three young actors have embodied the personas they represent, and I am curious as to who will play the roles in the later movies (then again, if John Travolta could play a teenager...).

I haven't as of yet watched any of the Harry Potter movies or read J.K Rowlings' books.

But I do feel that I've witnessed the effect of these works in society. I have to say as a result of my nephews and nieces that it seems to be a positive influence.

I see inspiration for research and reading where it was lacking previously, or to a new depth more correctly stated.

As far as the magic is concerned I believe that with proper guidance a child should be shown rational explaination, or even rational speculation, as to its factuality.

Not saying that Santa should be exposed maliciously, but in due time and in the right stages responsibly.

and for some reason they put watson in that little pink sweatshirt instead of the school uniform.

Oh I know! That irritated me too. Everyone was wearing 'street clothes', muggle street clothes! Wizards and witches don't wear muggle clothing!

Rowling gave the okay for it though. sad.gif

After all, they are teenagers. They are going to be wearing those crazy fashions that their parents could never hope to understand ;-)

i am a guy, 21 years old, and my impresion of Harry Poter (movies and books) is eek7.gif :Puke . I cant stand the story...is too bland.....i dont like it at all.

umm..the new movie kinda lacked editing!..infact its probably the worst ever~

The music score and the visuals were a different matter..if only the editing was better whistling2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from my three week stint in the middle of an english village, several miles from civilisation, allow me to share a revelation...

During the whole Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter movie rubbish (on a sidenote I did, and still do, hold that compairing Harry Potter to the Lord of the Rings is absolutely laughable. Compairing a children's book to one of the greatest examples of fantasy literature of all time is much like compairing the striking of a match to the nuclear explosion. In terms of cinematic excellence, and entertainment value, my opinion of the movies is the same), I was a staunch supporter of Lord of the Rings, and didn't do much to acknowledge the existance of Harry Potter.

However, without anything to do down in England, I decided to amuse myself by seeing what all the fuss was about and, as the friend I was staying with had all five books currently available, entertained myself by reading them. Five books, five nights, almost non-stop.

My conclusion of the books is that, as far as actual literary content goes, I could have written them better...so could most people. However, the story, and the telling of it, is actually something more ingenious. What the books lack in great writing technique they certainly do make up for in a strong story, and while the characters are all extremely one dimensional (the goodies are all good and the baddies are all bad), I very much enjoyed them; which is why I read all five of them more or less in one go.

The movies however....well....I've only seen the third one (after reading the books, I decided to see it in Birmingham while I was there), and quite honestly....the word I'm looking for is "urg".

Aside from a complete lack of acting ability from almost the entire cast, little or no regard for actual plot development (99% of the story seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor) and the words "have some chocolate" (I did, by the way, keep expecting to hear "Shiiiiire....Baaaaggiiiinnns..." from the Dementors) ringing out every three lines, the movie had absolutely nothing in it that caught my interest. I ended up sitting for two hours (mercifully, it seemed far shorter than it was...I felt I was only in the cinema for an hour), wondering exactly what was on the screen that seemed to be captivating my friend so much.

The movie did, however, include the lines:

Uh...yeah...You tell those spiders, Ron!"

Which almost made up for wasting as much of my money as it did...

Still, the books I found very entertaining and, having not seen the other two movies, won't paint them with the same brush I did the the third one. I do, however, think the director would probably have difficulty organising a five minute long pantomine, with a cast of two, designed to entertain a carrot.

Welcome back Seraphina!!! w00t.gif

Compairing a children's book to one of the greatest examples of fantasy literature of all time is much like compairing the striking of a match to the nuclear explosion.

Couldn't agree more. Have you ever read the Dune trilogy? I never saw the movie but the books I found quite intriguing.

Welcome back....for real... wub.gif

Have you ever read the Dune trilogy? I never saw the movie but the books I found quite intriguing.

I think I may have, way back in the mirky depths of time...some of the books were utter swill though. The sequals really started to lose the plot after a while. Never saw the movie all the way through, but what I did see of it was sorta so-so. Not really in a position to comment on Dune too much though...sci-fi isn't really my thing tongue.gif

i am a guy, 21 years old, and my impresion of Harry Poter (movies and books) is eek7.gif :Puke . I cant stand the story...is too bland.....i dont like it at all.

story too bland??

the main theme , which isnt explored in the movies is about a dark wizard ( which ruled the world) which persecute and killed non-pure wizards( half wizards-half common people or common people) and wanted to establish his race as the only race in the world. he also used to apply tortures on "non-aryan" wizards. now that wizards has been defeated and lives in the underground but hes coming back as his loyal servers support him no matter what. this story sounds familiar, right?

Can't wait to see the prisoner of Azkaban

Can't wait to see the prisoner of Azkaban

ive enjoyed it.

not as much as the book , but i think it was good.

to those of you who have seen Prisoner of Azkaban and havnt read the book, please keep in mind, the book is WAAAAAAYYYY better, so many things in the movie they didnt explain (like for eg. the marauders map) and they left out soooo much original.gif

• 4 weeks later...

As a teacher and a babysitter, and a student and a friend....I've seen almost all the sides of the effects of Harry Potter.....and i have just a few things to say...

1. IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY KIDS HAVE PICKED UP READING BOOKS AGAIN JUST BECAUSE OF THIS ONE SIMPLE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot tell you how many kids i know and i've seen who never read a book and would instead play a stupid video game because they would say "books are boring". I am thrilled to see the increase of reading coming back into children's lives!!!

2. With technology as it is today, kids today don't know what its like anymore to have to make up games to keep themselves busy. They don't play card games, or board games, or do much with their imagination anymore! It's all on a computer!!! I love how these books do not have pictures, instead Rowling is sort of forcing kids to use their imaginations as to what these people, places, and objects would look like thru her descriptions.

3. As to the whole arguments and questions about the whole "religious" content with the book, i am a non-believer and Rowling does not at all offend me. To quote, "To Each His Own". If somebody has a problem with the book, then that should be just their own affair, but unfortunately with how the world is today with the whole "freedom of this and freedom of that" issues, people take these libereties a little to far. The whole fight with the Board of Educations on banning this book from Schools is just ridiculous in my opinion. The book is NOT used as Required Curriculum...SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??!!! Why the books are at school is because teachers require the kids today to bring a Silent Reading Book to class, so what do they bring? Something they want to read.

At first, i was one of those people who didn't really want to get into them...but my mom when the first book came out made us read one-two chapters a day with her, and we instantly got hooked!!! It's gotten to the point where I am reading them to my boyfriend (who has only seen the first movie and has NEVER read them)!!! and now he's starting to get hooked and is making me read more and more every time we get together! I totally love this series, my parents do, even my GRANDMOTHER loves and is always in line with us in the theaters! Yes, the movies are a disappointment...but I think that the reason why we still go to the theater to see the movie is just simple curiosity. We want to see what the screen shows us compared to what our imagination shows us.

1. IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY KIDS HAVE PICKED UP READING BOOKS AGAIN JUST BECAUSE OF THIS ONE SIMPLE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant agree more!! im one of those kids!! i never liked reading, i hated it infact! then harry potter came along and guess what?? i read!!! ive read the third and fourth books twice and now im re-reading the fifth!! woohoo for me!!

Well Congrats Nordic!!! Let's just hope that you continue reading and inspire other's to pick up reading too!!!!!