Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How you can spot a psychopath

regeneratia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10737827/Psychopaths-how-can-you-spot-one.html

Psychopaths: how can you spot one?

We think of psychopaths as killers, alien, outside society. But, says the scientist who has spent his life studying them, you could have one for a colleague, a friend – or a spouse

Quote from link:

"Hare’s test is simple: a list of 20 criteria, each given a score of 0 (if it doesn’t apply to the person), 1 (if it partially applies) or 2 (if it fully applies). The list in full is: glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, pathological lying, cunning/manipulative, lack of remorse, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, unwillingness to accept responsibility for actions, a tendency to boredom, a parasitic lifestyle, a lack of realistic long-term goals, impulsivity, irresponsibility, lack of behavioural control, behavioural problems in early life, juvenile delinquency, criminal versatility, a history of “revocation of conditional release” (ie broken parole), multiple marriages, and promiscuous sexual behaviour. A pure, prototypical psychopath would score 40. A score of 30 or more qualifies for a diagnosis of psychopathy."

A while ago, I read a book on how to spot an substance-abuser based on prototypical behaviors nearly every one of them displays. Now it think it is time to be able to spot the sociopath and the psychopath.

I was just wondering if you want to relate your personal experiences with psychopaths that have crossed your life.

Do you think you are one?

I know I have had multiple marriages (2, still in the second one) and had an unregrettable GREAT time when I was young regarding sexual behavior (never committed adultry tho). I never had realistic long-term goals, not since I gave up singing at the age of 19. So I have a few of these, my score being 8, subjectively. Um, wondering what my siblings would rate me. What would I rate them?

• Like 3

I scored 3. :)

• Like 2

Most people in positions of authority, the wealthy...your boss...are psychopaths. Generally, you have to be able to separate yourself from your "human" emotions to perform certain jobs well and that takes a psychopath to be able to do that.

I think I am surrounded by psychopaths...

paranoia.jpg

• Like 2

I find this offensive!!

Right at the bottom of the article they say "Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go To Work "

That gets my goat. Leave snakes out of it, snakes are wonderful.

Anyway I scored a 3 too but I'm not sure how to answer emotional shallowness. I think most people would have to give a 1 for self worth though(and if people with a large post count vs years don't score this then I don't think I should lol), I do tend to get bored sometimes and can be impulsive but that's only because I follow rabbits.

() ()

( . . )

c(")(")

(so I suppose this post counts as being impulsive?) I find it hard to tell where the line is with these types of things.

• Like 3

i think people toss this word around a bit too liberally

Agreed, they do.

People don't see things in the shades of grey that are there, either people are normal or psychopaths.

in reality, everyone has machiavellian tendancies, and alrtruistic tendancies. Anyone can find a way to justify anything they do.

• Like 2

Agreed, they do.

People don't see things in the shades of grey that are there, either people are normal or psychopaths.

in reality, everyone has machiavellian tendancies, and alrtruistic tendancies. Anyone can find a way to justify anything they do.

1456070_10152351046421753_8982027774560250301_n_zps51dc6c96.jpg

• Like 1

My daughter scores about 25 or 26 on that.. she's still young so could at a later date score more. Ive always wondered if she's a bit of a psychopath. She's terribly cruel to me and very emotionally abusing.

Edited by sea-dove

My daughter scores about 25 or 26 on that.. she's still young so could at a later date score more. Ive always wondered if she's a bit of a psychopath. She's terribly cruel to me and very emotionally abusing.

Separate yourself from her, if she's of age.

you've always wondered this but never took her to a therapist or other professional?
  • Like 1

I saw a British-produced program that put people with established mental disorders in a house with highly experienced psychiatrists. The goal was for them to observe the people doing various tasks and interview them afterwards in an attempt to correctly identify what disorder each person had.

They almost completely failed. They did identify a germaphobe because he was avoiding door handles but the rest were so aware of their behavior that they had few problems hiding the symptoms of their disorders even under stressful conditions. It was surprising how well people could fight what are normally disabling phobias when they're being observed.

"glibness and superficial charm, grandiose sense of self-worth, pathological lying, cunning/manipulative, lack of remorse, emotional shallowness, callousness and lack of empathy, unwillingness to accept responsibility for actions, a tendency to boredom, a parasitic lifestyle, a lack of realistic long-term goals, impulsivity, irresponsibility, lack of behavioural control, behavioural problems in early life, juvenile delinquency, criminal versatility, a history of “revocation of conditional release” (ie broken parole), multiple marriages, and promiscuous sexual behaviour. A pure, prototypical psychopath would score 40. A score of 30 or more qualifies for a diagnosis of psychopathy."...Well,that would be about 90% of the people in the world.It explains why the big news is myley Cyrus, Kim Kardashian,justin Bieber,and all of the politician's that "run" the U.S.A.

Edited by Arkitecht

I'm about a 4 but alot of these are hard to define and i believe that it's even harder to score yourself on these kinds of things.

"Let's see... am i emotionally shallow, impulsive or irresponsible?"

No one will admit to all of these no matter who you are and who sets the limit for how much of one of the requirements you have to be? Yes at one point in time i was irresponsible. I forgot to brush my teeth last night, am i irresponsible? I feel like taking a shower. I guess i'm impulsive too.

I just find it hard to gauge myself along these guidelines. And i'm afraid the only one who could truly do that is someone intimately close to you or atleast someone you feel comfortable enough to show all of yourself around, and i have a feeling those people are few in number for most people.

Didnt even bother but I'd say its the one stabbing the victim repeatedly, both metaphorically and empirically....thats most of us isnt it?

Psychopaths are just humans without the inherited emotional and social barriers - they're almost primitive in a way.

Taking the Hares test I scored a 37.

Pretty sure it's just another thing out there to try and divide people.

I scored a 10. I think it's tough to get any kind of accuracy with this though when you're testing yourself. People tend not to notice their own flaws.

• Like 2

How can you spot a psycopath? Theres no need, the psychopath will spot you first....

• Like 5

How can you spot a psycopath? Theres no need, the psychopath will spot you first....

dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn *flash of lighting fade to blaaaaaaaaaaaaack*

• Like 2

I scored a 3.

This explains why I'm not out clubbing baby seals for fun.

Also explains why you take those same seals out to clubs for fun

• Like 3

I scored a 3.

This explains why I'm not out clubbing baby seals for fun.

Forget the seals ...... I LOVE that leopard!

Also explains why you take those same seals out to clubs for fun

So you scored a 37. Does that mean you club baby seals for fun?