Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pot, alcohol, and the Federal Gov

Bama13

When alcohol was made illegal there was a constitutional amendment propsed to make it illegal. When the proposed amendment was ratified by the required number of States a law was passed (the Volstead Act, I believe). Pot, on the other hand, was simply outlawed. No amendment deemed necessary. Why?

Alcohol is regulated, mostly, at the local/state level. They set the legal age (although big brother tries to force them into doing what big brother thinks is best), decide where and when you can purchase alcohol, and the punshiment for violating those laws. These laws vary from state to state and they very from local to local within the a state. I grew up in a "wet" city located in a "dry" county. Why isn't pot treated the same way (at the local level)?

Alcohol's easier to control then pot.

Why? Everybody who wants to can make his own moonshine (until caught, that is).

• Like 1

I got a DUI for alcohol a few years back. Weed makes you do things a lot less stupid IMO. You laugh, get hungry, then tired (unless you go outside in the winter then you wake right up) and it would be absolutely impossible for me to get into a fight while high. Plus you don't feel like crap the next day. Why would this stuff be illegal?! Haha always joke with my brothers about this.

When the older generation die out pot will be legal. Its a matter of when, not if.

• Like 2

I believe it was the power of the Liquor companies made it easy to get pot put down. And again the power of the Liquor companies lobbyists made a law against liquor impossible.

When the older generation die out pot will be legal. Its a matter of when, not if.

I don't believe it's an age thing. The Liquor companies have vast power.

Do you mean people older than the ones that were teenagers in the 60's? :lol:

• Like 1

Because sometimes you get under age people abuse drugs even if it is legal

Under age people abuse alcohol also. I'm not seeing your point.

• Like 1

I don't think it is illegal to make moonshine, just to sell it. I know you can make your own beer and/or wine legally.

Do you mean people older than the ones that were teenagers in the 60's? :lol:

At 26 years old its 50/50 after retirement its 80% against legalizing

Picture-2.png

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

At 26 years old its 50/50 after retirement its 80% against legalizing

Picture-2.png

Sounds about right...it shoots up dramatically with people over 65 who were married and raising kids by the hippy era.

Edited by Michelle

Most people are way too lazy nowadays to do that. What I meant is, there are alcohol companies nowadays, no pot companies, a least none as big as the alcohol industry.

Edited by Hasina

Under age people abuse alcohol also. I'm not seeing your point.

Yes but alcohol don't make people crazy or strange

you don't seem to know any alcoholics.

• Like 4

Perhaps it was thought that an amendment was required for alcohol in part because of alcohols history. Perhaps by the time pot was brought to the table there was already enough other law in place that an amendment wasn't thought to be necessary. Perhaps at the time, it was considered wise not to make a new amendment about pot considering that the amendment about alcohol had just been nixed. A lot of folks might not have taken kindly to that. Perhaps they thought that using an amendment for such a thing just wasn't a good idea in general.

Perhaps it had something to do with how everything went down with alcohol was a rather different situation than pot. Perhaps hemp had an impact on the whole thing.

And at the local level, pot is treated a lot like alcohol. At least in the sense that laws are all over the place depending on where you go. One can be in a "wet" state and still find dry pockets, particularly where the LEO is concerned. Or in a "dry" state, but it can change from county to county or in city limits what is tolerated or allowed to pass. Hemp is allowable or not depending on state, but the feds don't really like that an that's a whole nother side to the cannabis issue that's linked to but separate from the pot issue.

The only one law that seems to go across the board is the feds and their scheduling. And even that isn't straight up wet and dry. The general people are dry, but the pharms and medical have wet rights. The feds don't like us growing hemp, but allow the import of hemp goods from other countries.

Alcohol.. Making and distribution of distillates without a license is completely illegal. So is beer and wine, but usually distillates are cracked the most. Making distillates for home consumption can vary by state to state and further local, and just how much is made can play a factor. It is way easier to get licensing for ethanol for fuel use than distillates for human consumption.

And personal transporting of alcohol can be a major no-no depending on the state.

All of this runs kind of roughly with pot too. Got or grow a little, and the laws might be iffy, do it in big batch or with intent to distribute, get into trouble, transport it get into trouble.

• Like 2

I believe it was the power of the Liquor companies made it easy to get pot put down. And again the power of the Liquor companies lobbyists made a law against liquor impossible.

has nothing to do with alcohol, but i would like to post a source that gave you this idea.and once you done that, google Harry J. Anslinger, to see what how it really happened

you don't seem to know any alcoholics.

Spot on Q. I've known alchies and potheads. 4/5 times the alchoholic is crazy and strange. As for strange and crazy potheads I think they're just born like that. Weed makes people dumber if anything at all. Alchohol does with you what it wants. That said, I like both in moderation and I understand each and it's effects on myself perfectly fine. Alchohol is by and far the most dangerous of the two. I want neither I go away.

As for the guy who said they couldn't tax pot. Why not? Legalize it, companies will spawn. Regulate it like everything else. Sell it like cigarettes and beer in stores or in bars. They pounce on the oportunity to tax everything else, even natural elements like carbon. There would be billions in taxes to be gained. Or would the loss of the budget needed for marijuana related DEA operations outweigh what they'd get in taxes?

Lets see why they wouldn't legalize it...

Less people in jail saves tax payers money/more people in jail costs tax payers money: screw all tax payers out of more money means more money in federal hands. That's a good reason for them not to legalize.

Tax the weed/loss of funding for government drug operations: if taxed only some tax payers are taxed, if kept illegal all tax payers get taxed for drug operations. That's another good reason for them not to legalize.

BTW incase you need to know, I refer to the good reasons from a power hungry how can we squeeze the most out of tax payers government POV.

• Like 1

Pot doesn't make anyone crazier or stranger than alcohol. I have encountered plenty of mean drunks, but rarely a mean stoner.

• Like 1

Pot doesn't make anyone crazier or stranger than alcohol. I have encountered plenty of mean drunks, but rarely a mean stoner.

A mean stoner is not possible dude lol.

• Like 1

Weed makes people dumber if anything at all.

Lets get in the "Way Back" machine for a moment. When I was in high school (Ok, the "Way Way Back" machine) I took Calc at the local junior college because it wasn't offered in my high school. On the way to class every morning a friend and I got high. We made the highest grades in the class. That seemed to only work in math classes (at least for me). History, English, or Science classes not so much.

• Like 1

A mean stoner is not possible dude lol.

I knew one dude in college that got paranoid, then mean when he got high. Only case I know of. Exception that proves the rule?

I knew one dude in college that got paranoid, then mean when he got high. Only case I know of. Exception that proves the rule?

Paranoia is a common trait among people habitually doing something illegally or forbidden. That has nothing to do with the type of drug he/she is getting high on. Naturally, due to the fact that all drugs (including alcohol) diminish your self control, traits well hidden otherwise become visible.

Edited by questionmark