Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The children who really do see dead people

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,358 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

www.aolnews.com said:

Haley Joel Osment shocked millions of American moviegoers when he said, "I see dead people" in "The Sixth Sense."

Turns out, what's really shocking is how many kids can actually communicate with spooks -- or at least feel they do.

So says Caron Goode, a Fort Worth, Texas-based psychotherapist and author of the new book "Kids Who See Ghosts: How to Guide Them Through Fear" (Weiser Books).

Goode says that while some kids play with imaginary friends, there are others who are convinced they are being visited by spooks and apparitions.

Well, are they?

Depends on your upbringing, Goode says.

"Are ghosts real? In some cultures they are and others they aren't," she says, adding that there are many factors that can make people feel they are seeing one -- including stress and their brain waves being in a "theta" or daydreaming state.

On the other hand, there are many people -- including Goode -- who have had experiences that they believe could only be caused by another entity and are not hallucinations.

So how can you tell if your kid's chat with his dead Uncle Leo is normal child's play or a paranormal experience? Well, age appropriateness is one way.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Father Of Evolution

Father Of Evolution

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• I was not; I have been; I am not; I do not mind.

-Epicurus

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

Schizophrenia anyone?  :whistle:

Spoiler

#3    czech_mate55

czech_mate55

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

My 6 year old son has seen things.  The most memorable was the "old" man standing under the tree in a cemetery.  He was scared of him and wanted to leave (He was probably 4 at the time and had never been to a cemetery before).  But, he's never had an imaginary friend.

#4    sagestar

sagestar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

My daughter see's ghosts. She has seen them since she was a toddler, she is 11 now.  She also had an what you would call an "imaginary friend" that she would talk to and play with.  I know she does see these ghosts, because I can see them to, and we would see the same ghost, and describe the ghost to each other.  As a baby, her battery operated toys would go off in her room all the time, while she was sleeping.  We continue to get spirits in our home.

#5    J Gab

J Gab

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

I don't like to talk about my own strange experiences, but I'll give out one.

I recall as a child that I would play with these figures that were very human-like. They didn't sport any characteristics, they would simply be a human figure but everything else was white as if they were made of fog or a cloud.

I also remember being tormented at this restaurant we used to go to. The mouth thing you do with your hand? I used to always see something doing one of those outside the window of the restaurant. Same place every time. It acted as though it mocked me, for when I told my mom or grandma- whomever I was with- to look it would duck down when they did. I'm still horrified by that thing, and have no idea what it was...

A Simple Letter (Yes, I have a book!)

#6    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

View Postczech_mate55, on 20 June 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

My 6 year old son has seen things.  The most memorable was the "old" man standing under the tree in a cemetery.  He was scared of him and wanted to leave (He was probably 4 at the time and had never been to a cemetery before).  But, he's never had an imaginary friend.

you didnt think he could have actually seen a Real, creepy looking man under a tree, visiting a grave in the cemetary?

the truth is out there....

#7    freeman88

freeman88

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds."

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

i saw lots of **** when i was younger. i saw a top half of a tux float down my hallway, i saw what looked like a man that had been chewed up n spit out walking across our lawn with a tool box, ive seen rocks thrown across my old hallway when no one else was home, n one time i heard a bunch of crashing around in a bathroom when everyone was in the field and when they came in the tap was on full blast n flooding the bathroom:blink: just to name a few though. it seems as ive got older i no longer see things, which is fine by me. i still do have experiences though. ill be woken up a couple times a week around 2-4 and it always sounds like someone says my name right as im comming to :wacko: maybe ive always just had an overactive imagination, that or im a little skitzo :rolleyes:

#8    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

View Postsagestar, on 20 June 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

My daughter see's ghosts. She has seen them since she was a toddler, she is 11 now.  She also had an what you would call an "imaginary friend" that she would talk to and play with.  I know she does see these ghosts, because I can see them to, and we would see the same ghost, and describe the ghost to each other.  As a baby, her battery operated toys would go off in her room all the time, while she was sleeping.  We continue to get spirits in our home.

although i question your experiences with your young child, the toys have nothing to do with spirits. electronics malfunction all the time.

#9    RAGE4TRUTH

RAGE4TRUTH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 20 June 2010 - 03:40 PM, said:

you didnt think he could have actually seen a Real, creepy looking man under a tree, visiting a grave in the cemetary?

Did you consider they may have just had a real paranormal experience? Are you 100% sure they didn't without a doubt?

Posted Image

#10    Long_Gone

Long_Gone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

View Postczech_mate55, on 20 June 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

A 'real' man standing under the tree in a cemetery?.

#11    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostRAGE4TRUTH, on 20 June 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

Did you consider they may have just had a real paranormal experience? Are you 100% sure they didn't without a doubt?

where did i say i was 100% sure they did?
i cant find that post.

#12    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

I would never call anyone here a liar but at the same time I think it's important that children who make such claims are examined by a doctor. IMO the odds are much greater for a child to have a psychological issue than a paranormal one.

#13    RAGE4TRUTH

RAGE4TRUTH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 20 June 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

where did i say i was 100% sure they did?
i cant find that post.

Calm down buddy,  its was a question just saying   :w00t:

Posted Image

#14    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

View PostRAGE4TRUTH, on 20 June 2010 - 06:16 PM, said:

Calm down buddy,  its was a question just saying   :w00t:

...calm down, from...what?
i dont get it. write something coherent next time.

#15    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

View PostRAGE4TRUTH, on 20 June 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

No. Since logic dictates different. Especially when we are talking about the imaginations of kids.

Edited by The Skeptic Eric Raven, 20 June 2010 - 06:28 PM.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users