Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Harvestman Yet to Be Named:

Karlis

A harvestman with a leg span of more than 33 centimetres.

The creature found during a research trip to Laos is one of the largest representatives of the entire order worldwide. Experts have so far failed to properly identify it to species level.

Read more

• Like 3

What a sweetie! :yes: (Although ............. I don't like to suddenly come across him marching through my home :no: )

We had a lot of the smaller-sized ones around as kids. We used to pretend they were our pets. This one could pretend kids were his pet. lol

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

What's a harvest man?

Many believe an old wives tale that they are deadly poisonous and their mouth parts are just to small to bite us but in reality they are non venomous and have no fangs. More commonly known as Granddaddy Long legs.

Edited by mfrmboy

Many believe an old wives tale that they are deadly poisonous and their mouth parts are just to small to bite us but in reality they are non venomous and have no fangs. More commonly known as Granddaddy Long legs.

Don't start that again! Daddy Longlegs' have wings.

As for a name for him ....... how about Harold? ;)

• Like 2

What's a harvest man?

Click on the article link and you'll find out.

Oh but Fred is so common and this fellow isn't, is he?

That's the perfect name!

Let's see. The title say's "Giant Harvestman Yet To Be Named"

How about naming it "Giant Harvestman" :passifier:

• Like 2

I heard when you're asleep these guys will wrap their long legs around your head and perch over your mouth like the thing from aliens. Then it poops.

• Like 1

Wow! 33 cm. That is a third of a meter, over a foot. I've seen a few big daddy longlegs (What we in Oregon call 'em) but they probably topped out at about 7 inches from foot to foot. So the critter stood about 2 inches high with the legs going up and back down.

I skimmed the article, and did not see if these spiders were larger, or if they just had way freakishly long legs.

• Like 1

Grandaddy / Daddy Long Legs do not have wings they are S P I D E R S. :yes: Google it . :tu:

Edited by mfrmboy

Grandaddy / Daddy Long Legs do not have wings they are S P I D E R S. :yes: Google it . :tu:

If you google 'daddy longlegs UK' you will discover that the crane fly is commonly known as 'daddy longlegs' here, as well as in Ireland, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

A harvestman is a harvestman!

Here in the US Daddy longlegs are spiders and if you google grandaddy or daddy longlegs you get spiders.

In reality Harvestman spiders are actually not even spiders they are a relative of spiders.

Edited by mfrmboy
  • Like 1