Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Maggots Heal Wounds

Still Waters

Yes, maggots are creepy, crawly, and slimy. But that slime is a remarkable healing balm, used by battlefield surgeons for centuries to close wounds. Now, researchers say they've figured out how the fly larvae work their magic: They suppress our immune system.

http://news.sciencem...eal-wounds.html

Just don't think that they're worms, when you're trying to heal your wounds with their help, fellas :innocent:

I've heard that leeches are being used more often in medicine again also. They attach them onto reattached fingers, etc to reduce swelling where venous blood return is slowed.

I watched a documentary where a hospital was using maggots on a festering wound a patient had, the wound was bad and needed a skin graft but it was so infected that it was practically decaying.

Maggots were used to clean up the bad stuff, leaving raw yet healthy tissue alone and then they could commence with the skin grafts.

Leeches were also shown in the same documentary as well and I thought it was a pretty neat idea. It's easy, doesn't involve pharmaceuticals and is non-toxic plus nature is doing the dirty work and is not a strain on the body.

I think it is great.

• Like 1

Still waters, I love the informative things you throw at the forum.

They're always nice and interesting reads :)