Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reflection: Wounded Knee Anniversary

Commander CMG

American Indian activists took over the tiny village of Wounded Knee on South Dakota's sprawling Pine Ridge Indian Reservation on Feb. 27, 1973, in what would become a 71-day, fatal standoff with FBI agents that attracted national attention to the impoverished reservation and the plight of local tribes.

On Wednesday, the occupation's 40th anniversary, some of the protest's central figures — most notably the American Indian Movement's charismatic leader, the late Russell Means — will be noticeably absent from a commemoration at the reservation. But organizers hope the events remind people of the struggles that led to the standoff and problems still reverberating throughout Indian Country, as well as changes the protest helped spark.

Read More

• Like 4

Reminds me of a quote:

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people

• Like 1

It is wrong that Leonard Peltier ever went to jail in the first place. After all these years it is a stain on the american moral condition. I'm ashamed of my government.

• Like 1

AIM is the original Occupy movement ,literally ,except they couldn't get the press Occupy does,unless they held a stand off .

What was done to the Lakota Sioux will be paid for in the afterlife ,by everyone who participated .

Such a tragic tale. :(

I looked up Wounded Knee on Wiki and first thing that struck me was the first image which looks like the genocide pics from the 20th century. Made me shudder but reminded me that we are no angels. (by 'we' I mean us in the 'civilised West')

• Like 1

Reminds me of a quote:

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from the red people

I don't like that quote at all. My father was drafted, no one told him it was just for black people.

It dishonors all those soldiers that went when they were asked to. And it's a crock of bs.

• Like 1

Those that continue to live in the past, will have no future.

How many generations of family do I have to have until I'm considered a 'native american'?

It's whiney white guilt that does this. I didn't steal any land from anyone, and I certainly don't think I should bear the burden of it.

Reminds me of a quote:

Yeah because no white people were ever drafted. Oh wait, never mind.

It is wrong that Leonard Peltier ever went to jail in the first place. After all these years it is a stain on the american moral condition. I'm ashamed of my government.

Unless you consider the murder of two FBI agents to be not wrong, then you have a point.

• Like 1

Yeah because no white people were ever drafted. Oh wait, never mind.

Its only a quote fgs!

Makes me laugh that people are saying that white people were drafted too.....we all know that! but no one seems to mind about the bit were they stole it off the red people.

Rolling_Eyes.gif

Its only a quote fgs!

Makes me laugh that people are saying that white people were drafted too.....we all know that! but no one seems to mind about the bit were they stole it off the red people.

Rolling_Eyes.gif

A dumb, inaccurate quote is still dumb and inaccurate.

Most countries stole the land they currently occupy from someone else, who had stolen it from someone else.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides

Its only a quote fgs!

Rolling_Eyes.gif

I addressed both.

It's just a bad quote. Nothing personal.

I got Indian in me, I feel for my ancestors and the tribes. But I have no reason to be mad about the death of my ancestors long ago, but I will defend the tribes today, because they are my heritage. I just hope they don't lose their way, become fixated on taking revenge when they should be more focused on preserving theirs and my culture from extinction.

• Like 2

Its only a quote fgs!

Rolling_Eyes.gif

Nothing was stolen. They lost the war.

Was Texas stolen from Mexico? Oh wait, you probably think it was.

Nothing was stolen. They lost the war.

Was Texas stolen from Mexico? Oh wait, you probably think it was.

The Indians lost the war? That simple huh?

Conquered is more of a term. Indian's were already weaken by smallpox, so only a few pockets of tribes left. Now can we get off this retched subject for now? I hate people throwing my ancestors tragic past into the face of others, to justify fighting over already established land. GET OVER IT! It is the past, move on, respect current borders. It insults me more than anything, when someone uses my ancestors as a example for other to smuggle humans across the border or to fight deportation when they never made any efforts to become citizens. Why do you think I get very mad and emotional when it is compared to my ancestors tragic past? Illegal Immigrants are opportunities and insensitive to my tribe's history.

Edited by Uncle Sam

The Indians lost the war? That simple huh?

A dumb, inaccurate quote is still dumb and inaccurate.

Most countries stole the land they currently occupy from someone else, who had stolen it from someone else.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides

America is not a country, its a whole continent. When Thucydides quoted that, he was not referring to the same kind of thing at all. I would not have said he Indians were weak and that they had to suffer what they must!

America is not a country, its a whole continent. When Thucydides quoted that, he was not referring to the same kind of thing at all. I would not have said he Indians were weak and that they had to suffer what they must!

America is commonly used to refer to the United States of America. North America and South America are commonly used to denote the continent's. Sorry if I confused you with my post.

If the Indians were stronger than the invaders they would have won. They weren't and didn't. They were not equal in strength therefore they suffered what they must.

America is commonly used to refer to the United States of America. North America and South America are commonly used to denote the continent's. Sorry if I confused you with my post.

If the Indians were stronger than the invaders they would have won. They weren't and didn't. They were not equal in strength therefore they suffered what they must.

The law of nature... either live strong or die weak.

I would like to think that strength wise, the Indians were must stronger, its the guns and the power it gave the Europeans, which the Indians could not compete with.

I would like to think that strength wise, the Indians were must stronger, its the guns and the power it gave the Europeans, which the Indians could not compete with.

Physically they probably were, militarily they were not. It is military strength that wins wars, not physical strength. The days of one champion fighting another champion to decide a war are long gone.

I am not saying that what happened was right, just that it was the norm. Stronger countries/peoples took from weaker countries/peoples.

The law of nature... either live strong or die weak.

One of my favorites quotes from "A Game of Thrones" is: In the game of thrones you either win or die.

Conquered is more of a term. Indian's were already weaken by smallpox, so only a few pockets of tribes left. Now can we get off this retched subject for now? I hate people throwing my ancestors tragic past into the face of others, to justify fighting over already established land. GET OVER IT! It is the past, move on, respect current borders. It insults me more than anything, when someone uses my ancestors as a example for other to smuggle humans across the border or to fight deportation when they never made any efforts to become citizens. Why do you think I get very mad and emotional when it is compared to my ancestors tragic past? Illegal Immigrants are opportunities and insensitive to my tribe's history.

I was not at all meaning it as an insult. it was just a quote, how it has got to be taken apart like this I do not know! I by no way apologize for putting it, I apologize to you if you felt insulted by it, but I never thought some would have seen it as deep as they have. personally i find that extremely petty. No more will be said by me about it.

I was not at all meaning it as an insult. it was just a quote, how it has got to be taken apart like this I do not know! I by no way apologize for putting it, I apologize to you if you felt insulted by it, but I never thought some would have seen it as deep as they have. personally i find that extremely petty. No more will be said by me about it.

I just get mad of people using the past justify actions today. Today is today, today is not the past.

I just get mad of people using the past justify actions today. Today is today, today is not the past.

You are right, so lets stick to what this thread is really about: The Wounded Knee Anniversary "But organizers hope the events remind people of the struggles that led to the standoff and problems still reverberating throughout Indian Country, as well as changes the protest helped spark."