Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do people believe in religion because they...

belief god truth evidence paranormal

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#121    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 July 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

Like I said, it is your own belief  and nothing more...As for the dodging of questions asked by myself and others.. I feel no further need to continue this with yourself.. No offence..
I take no offence when it come to you. In fact, I'm happy for you. As for dodging... I do ignore certain questions, especially when the question is redundant or not well thought out.  On the other hand, I PM certain people.

https://www.youtube....ix3pVUX86yBWWzS  (playlist)

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#122    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 12 July 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

You are the one making the claim. I simply ask you to prove it. You can't. You cannot provide one empirical piece of evidence for a soul, can you? No, of course you can't. And no offense, but better men than you have tried. So you may as well drop it because short of showing me a soul in some measurable capacity, you will never convince me that it is not anymore fictitious than the giant turtle that lives under my couch.

Good post..  I think sometimes people get mixed up in what a belief and what facts really are..So if you ask someone to prove something they have claimed to be fact.. and they give you the run a round? That makes their side of the argument look weaker...and they cannot see it.. I prefer talking with  the religious folk who fully understand what a belief is, and they admit it is their belief..at least they are being most rational about it and it makes the discussion so much easier......But you will always get a few that cannot ever understand the difference and it goes down hill fast .

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 July 2012 - 12:48 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#123    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,112 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 13 July 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

Good post..  I think sometimes people get mixed up in what a belief and what facts really are..So if you ask someone to prove something they have claimed to be fact.. and they give you the run a round? That makes their side of the argument look weaker...and they cannot see it.. I prefer talking with  the religious folk who fully understand what a belief is, and they admit it is their belief..at least they are being most rational about it and it makes the discussion so much easier......But you will always get a few that cannot ever understand the difference and it goes down hill fast ..It does get a bit daft at times...

I have a few religious friends that I discuss things with regularly and they never just say "It's true" or whatever and plug their ears. I don't know why I even let this last exchange go on for so long.
Not one person has been able to give an example \opf a soul or a way to measure one. They just cover their ears and try to scream louder. It's just sad. Whatever happened to backing up your claims? I've noticed a lot people doing this on here the past few weeks. They just make outlandish claims and then just keep saying it's true, like if they say it enough it will be.
I dunno, I'm rambling. I'm just gonna go to the bar.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 13 July 2012 - 12:53 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#124    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 July 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

I have a few religious friends that I discuss things with regularly and they never just say "It's true" or whatever and plug their ears. I don't know why I even let this last exchange go on for so long.

I have just put an end to one the same as yours  previously in this thread..It was going nowhere and so I moved on...I never see any point in dragging on something that goes nowhere and no answers ever given..it is pointless..  I would rather if a person  was honest and they said - "Well it is my belief that yadda yadda"  and so on.. At least when they state it is a belief, you can say - fair enough and let it be..

I for one believe we have a soul..but see that is just a belief I hold.. I cannot tell you for sure we have them..I sure as heck cannot go proving it to you or anyone like you..so with that, all I can tell you is - it is just something I believe in..

Not one person has been able to give an example \opf a soul or a way to measure one. They just cover their ears and try to scream louder
I know what you mean..But see when they do that, it is proof they have no idea how or what to do next.. If I ever do meet someone who can explain more and give more answers, then it would be most interesting.. I love it more when people post up what they call facts and they put effort into explaining, this gives you more to think about, and it makes it worthwhile.......But to cover their ears when asked for proof of their factual claims.. is making them look so foolish and they don't see it..

Whatever happened to backing up your claims? I've noticed a lot people doing this on here the past few weeks. They just make outlandish claims and then just keep saying it's true, like if they say it enough it will be.  

I have no idea...normally when you make a claim, you at least back it with something others can read and understand, it kinna helps ya know? OR you point out that the claim you made is just part of your belief.. at least you are being straight with others about it.......  I now just move on when I see no real answers or further explaining is provided when asked..  I sometimes think people that do this  only do so knowing you will get annoyed and end it  ...it is their only way to get out..lol.... And others who do it, simply don't understand what they have landed themselves into, it could be that they never thought that far ahead and didn't think anyone would ask them to back their claims?   Which is a bit silly I know..but you will always meet at least a few in your time...
I love to watch people like that on TV debate shows. ( usually old ones with Jeremy Paxton ) . They make some stupid claim.. the other will say - "Can you back that up?"...then they sit looking so awkward and freak out and start yelling and showing anger and it gets out of hand..  Some will act the politician and give the other person the run around and not answer the questions, thinking it will put the person off, but in reality looking at them react like that over a simple question.. they do not realise they are looking so weakened by it all .

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 July 2012 - 01:26 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#125    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 July 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Not one person has been able to give an example \opf a soul or a way to measure one. They just cover their ears and try to scream louder. It's just sad. Whatever happened to backing up your claims? I've noticed a lot people doing this on here the past few weeks. They just make outlandish claims and then just keep saying it's true, like if they say it enough it will be.
I dunno, I'm rambling. I'm just gonna go to the bar.

I don't think there is any 100% way to define a soul...in the dictionary it has couple different meanings, so I think it's just one of those things that is up to the individual to decide what they want to believe it is. I don't know that any which way either you view it as a spiritual thing or part of your conscience or whatever, is going to be right or wrong as long as you have a beautiful one;)  Now what bar are we going to number1??? Hehe!!

#126    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

• (Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostVC-10, on 12 July 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

You can deny having one all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you do have one. The reality of a soul is not nor should it be a threat to your core beliefs.
I do understand why people want proof. It boils down to finding the ones who are really ready for it. Have you ever heard the song by Soft Cell called "Entertain Me"? Think about it: who wants to change the equilibrium or balance of his or her life? Most people just want to vege and be proded. Unless something extreme happens, a person usually doesn't want to be bothered. On the other hand, this particular thread attracted people who are eager and willing to change.

Distinguish between spin doctoring and truth. Keep in mind that truth is ALMOST impossible to figure out when it comes to ancient holy book.

#127    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,112 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostViviana98, on 13 July 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I don't think there is any 100% way to define a soul...in the dictionary it has couple different meanings, so I think it's just one of those things that is up to the individual to decide what they want to believe it is. I don't know that any which way either you view it as a spiritual thing or part of your conscience or whatever, is going to be right or wrong as long as you have a beautiful one;)  Now what bar are we going to number1??? Hehe!!
We ended up at the same local watering hole that we always do, and while I may not have seen a soul, I certainly ran a foul of a few spirits!

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#128    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,112 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 13 July 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

I do understand why people want proof. It boils down to finding the ones who are really ready for it.

That's such spiritualist B.S., man. One does not have to be "ready" for facts or objective reality. Things either exist or they do not, independent of belief or ones desire for something to be true.

#129    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 13 July 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

That's such spiritualist B.S., man. One does not have to be "ready" for facts or objective reality. Things either exist or they do not, independent of belief or ones desire for something to be true.
It's B.S. according to you. I'm not the one who's looking for a soul because I've already seen one, two, three -- you get the idea. Since you haven't seen one, there must be something wrong with your current pattern; therefore, you have to change. It's just the way things are. You can either fight it, or find a way to get what you want. Fighting it is definitely not it. Saints and mystics have sacrificed their lives to get a glimpse of the otherworldly wonder. What makes you so special? Like I said, most people don't really want to rock their world, their balance, their equilibrium...unless extreme situations happen to them. Alas, you're not going to find an ephemeral-like soul on the internet. On the other hand, there are monetarily free ashrams to start your journey. B.S.? Be Steadfast (in your goal).

#130    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Speaking of Soft Cell... Some of the posts remind me of a line in "Chips on my Shoulder": "I'm making a stand while I sit on my ar$e."

#131    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,831 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 13 July 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Speaking of Soft Cell... Some of the posts remind me of a line in "Chips on my Shoulder": "I'm making a stand while I sit on my ar$e."
Blowing hot air while pretending you have something of substance, isn't much better.

#132    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 July 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Blowing hot air while pretending you have something of substance, isn't much better.
Nah, that's your upbringing speaking out. I merely pushed a button. And certainly, I don't pretend. Substance? Go beyond it. Rock your boat. I'm not here to appease your peace of mind. Peace of "mind" is another word for equilibrium.

Edited by braveone2u, 13 July 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#133    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,831 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 13 July 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Nah, that's your upbringing speaking out. I merely pushed a button. And certainly, I don't pretend. Substance? Go beyond it. Rock your boat. I'm not here to appease your peace of mind. Peace of "mind" is another word for equilibrium.
It's just excuses with you isn't it? Maybe you aren't pretending and you are that delusional you think you have something.
The only time you rock boats is when you fall out of them due to your own incompetence.

#134    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 July 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

It's just excuses with you isn't it? Maybe you aren't pretending and you are that delusional you think you have something.
The only time you rock boats is when you fall out of them due to your own incompetence.
Just as I thought -- empty words. :yes:

#135    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,831 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

View Postbraveone2u, on 13 July 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Just as I thought -- empty words. :yes:
You don't read the crap you post then do you. lol

Also tagged with belief, god, truth, evidence, paranormal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users