Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comfort Food Is a Myth

Still Waters

I've done my own personal research extensively on this particular subject, while I absolutely love food and most of the food I love is absolutely terrible for you it most certainly doesn't enhance my mood. Most of the time it just gives me indigestion, heartburn, long bouts of laziness and lack of energy.

Since changing my eating habits to that of a much healthier diet, lots of veggies, fruits, high protein foods and I pretty much cut out any grains or dairy I have felt phenomenal. My energy levels are through the roof, my mood has changed dramatically for the better and I'm losing weight (duhhh).

Though a little bit of comfort food every once in a while never killed anyone...... Or has it? :alien:

• Like 1

My honest opinion is that certain foods can change my mood a lot. Possibly it is because I'm bi-polar but for instance if I eat a McDonald's Cheeseburger with fries and a coke then I have special fast energy like an aggravated wolf. In a good way.

Edited by George Ford
  • Like 2

The point of "comfort food" is not the eating of it, but the motivation for the eating of it. It is a psychological process whereby the eating of the food coincides with the mental/emotional relieving of whatever stress was causing the discomfort.

That the 'study' focuses on certain types of foods (ice cream, chocolate, etc) is completely missing the point. Any food can be a "comfort food". That people choose certain types of food is purely down to their desire at the time to "spoil themselves".

• Like 5

I've done my own personal research extensively on this particular subject, while I absolutely love food and most of the food I love is absolutely terrible for you it most certainly doesn't enhance my mood. Most of the time it just gives me indigestion, heartburn, long bouts of laziness and lack of energy.

Since changing my eating habits to that of a much healthier diet, lots of veggies, fruits, high protein foods and I pretty much cut out any grains or dairy I have felt phenomenal. My energy levels are through the roof, my mood has changed dramatically for the better and I'm losing weight (duhhh).

Though a little bit of comfort food every once in a while never killed anyone...... Or has it? :alien:

Good for you mate! I found when I changed my eating habits, my moods stabilized. Specifically when I cut out dairy and sugar.

Anyone can find out in 21 days... cut out all dairy and see how much more energy and how much better you feel... the draw of cheese alone though is too much for most and they find this impossible. Took a few months for me to stop craving cheese, but the rest went easily. After a few years, dairy is now repugnant. If you want to prove you're a rock star, cut out all sugar and watch your moods stabilize after the initial shock to the system wears off.

Three years ago, I was able to avoid a lifetime of pharmaceuticals for high bp, cholesterol and blood sugar by going on a 90 day blood cleanse using a diet of high phytochemical fruits, veggies and herbs, cutting out dairy and reducing meat and sugar. I used a 3hp blender to micronize the produce so I could add things like the pit of the avocados to maximize the effect.

I told my GP what I was planning and agreed if I couldn't affect change, I'd start the meds. He was amazed at the turn around in my blood work and is now following a similar diet for preventative measures himself. Food is medicine or poison.

Many foods bring me comfort, mainly from the nap immediately afterwards. Though certain foods make me happy when I know I'm going to have them and while I'm preparing them. Anticipation and sharing cooking with those you love is good for mood.

• Like 2

Chocolate stimulates the release of endorphins, natural hormones produced by the brain, that generates feelings of pleasure and promotes a sense of well being. So I dont know how they can say this wouldnt work... Study is completely crap

food has such an emotional effect in many people it acts like a drug, just like sex, coffee, booze or anything else that can induce an effect on consciousness or body...

• Like 2

food has such an emotional effect in many people it acts like a drug, just like sex, coffee, booze or anything else that can induce an effect on consciousness or body...

Plus it is often more readily available, cheaper and with a quicker cleanup afterwards.

• Like 1

Plus it is often more readily available, cheaper and with a quicker cleanup afterwards.

true enough.. unless you combine it with sex... then... :P

• Like 1

After quitting sugar and caffeine, I noticed how much they impacted me... staggering.

Now I'll notice how others chase those two highs more than just about anything else...

• Like 1