Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Easter still about religion for most?

Still Waters

A large, feathery Easter egg stands in the middle of a small street in a shopping area in north London.

Beneath it is an Easter message: "This egg is to remind people to shop at independent retailers".

I had thought that it might be to remind people of the other message of Easter - the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, for example, which churches across the country will be marking on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32160786

• Like 1

It's about chocolate for me.. :)

And bunnies. You must'n forget the bunnies.

small-milk-chocolate-bunny.jpg

• Like 3

Easter egg hunt for the kids. Its an event day and its for fun. That whole jesus thing is not even a thought.

• Like 3

11skxaq.jpg

This is a real world problem I face. Do I bite the butt, or the ears off first?

Edited by DefenceMinisterMishkin
  • Like 1

I am look forward to the day after 1/2 price chocolate goodies. Have a good holiday, y'all whatever you celebrate.

• Like 3

It is a remembrance of the happiest event for all mankind to those who believe in Christ's sacrifice. It's a day when death was defeated, finally. The irony - and tragedy - is that so few accept the free gift it made available. So I'd agree that it has become less and less about "religion". Soon enough it will be viewed altogether differently again I think :)

• Like 2

It is a remembrance of the happiest event for all mankind to those who believe in Christ's sacrifice. It's a day when death was defeated, finally. The irony - and tragedy - is that so few accept the free gift it made available. So I'd agree that it has become less and less about "religion". Soon enough it will be viewed altogether differently again I think :)

What gift? Would have been great if he shared how he "defeated death" then some of my old friends from the children's cancer ward might still be alive.

• Like 1

What gift? Would have been great if he shared how he "defeated death" then some of my old friends from the children's cancer ward might still be alive.

The gift of eternal life, man! You're too young to be such a cynic ;) I get the whole "I don't want to hear it" bit. I was that way myself for 35 years or so. But in this strange world of unexplained mysteries, why is it so hard to believe THIS one? It's your choice. But don't think those friends on that ward are in a grave. Only that thing they walked around in here is gone. THEY are quite alive - and that is what Easter is about for a Christ believer. But to each his choice. If life is just a series of days that have no meaning and everything is random for you then that's cool too. I hope you enjoy this day and all the others - sincerely!

Personally it's about time off work for me ,if you're a believer then I have no problem with that.

• Like 1

Well watching babies and children dying of cancer with tubes sticking out of them while their parents push back the tears and hold their child for what might be the last time while forcing a smile to comfort them will leave you rather cynical.

Kind of hard to believe In an all loving God when your presented with that.

• Like 2

for my very catholic family, yeah, it's still about religion. for my very atheist self, it's one of fhe days i go to church in order to keep my mother from being sad.

and then we eat easter breakfast, which makes anything worthwhile.

we were never much for the easter bunny, that nightmarish beast.

• Like 1

It's about Jesus' resurrection in my family... But the Easter bunny is coming very early tomorrow! Can't wait to see my little Grandsons on the Easter egg hunt :)

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 3

Easter is about religion for Christians. For others Easter is more about spring and the rebirth of nature.

Then of course there's the chocolate...the chocolate is for everyone!

h025.gif

• Like 3

Easter is about religion for Christians. For others Easter is more about spring and the rebirth of nature.

Then of course there's the chocolate...the chocolate is for everyone!

h025.gif

Except me..:(

For me it's the chocolate and the refreshing feeling I get in spring anyway. The little things.. :whistle:

• Like 1

It hasn't been about religion since I read the bible.

• Like 1

I'm not Christian, so I use Easter as a day for honoring family both past & present, and thanking Mother Earth for all her beauty and for sustaining life.

• Like 2

Well I am not a Christian. Work etc recently has been totally exhausting and I have spent a lot of time away so for me it has been about the immediate family and connecting back with myself. And relaxing.

For which I am most grateful.

i never really 'got' easter, when I was growing up as a Jehovahs Witness,holidays were never celebrated other than the Passover.

So i just figured it was another day for parents to spend money on goodies for kids and for family get together.

I just found out today that there is an easter challenge, sort of makes me think JW's may have had it right, that no holiday is one Jesus would want.

http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/stone.php

Now of course I look at most things with a nod and a smile and smirk :P

I am happy being agnostic/atheist.

Originally, Easter is a solar pagan holiday marking the Vernal or spring equinox in pre-Christian Europe and I guess in many cultures throughout the northern hemisphere (most of Asia, northern Africa and north America). It marked the return of life, fertility and maternity with effigies and statues of earth mother goddess either pregnant or with an infant on her lap. Christian Easter is actually a lunar holiday always falling after Passover in the Jewish calendar on the full moon between mid-March and mid-April.

Children in the US look forward to the Easter bunny known to leave hidden painted eggs and candy treats in baskets behind. My kids were so good this weekend, they didn't awakened to broken eggs on the house wall, candy wrappers on the back yard lawn or rabbit droppings everywhere (what bunnies/rabbits do best, ROFL).

For me, it's another crowded day at the beach. As a "Christian," I don't see it as a religious holiday, or I should say that everyday is a "spiritual" holiday (as in the spirit or essence or soul, not a philosophical mind thing). It has a similar ring to Ministry's lyrics "...cuz Halloween is everyday...," but not quite the same.