Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Same-sex Marriage Bill passes

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

http://www.stuff.co....riage-legalised

Same sex marriage passed in the Beehive lastnight. History is made.

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

I think a lot of countries will start passing it.  Should anyway, what does it hurt.

#3    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Gay couples should be allowed to marry and have the same rights as Heterosexual couples, a big pat on the back for the NZ parliament and one in the eye for the religious homophobic lobby.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

This is the kind of bills we want passed. :tu:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

This is wonderful, I love hearing news about good things that are happening in the world. This is definitely good news.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#6    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,628 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Since so many people here in the U.S. seem to be against gays marriage, we should just create a new form of it called "Parriage" that has all of the same legal rights, but churches can refuse to perform for.  Then the whole "Marriage is between a man and a women" garbage will become moot.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,391 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

One of our local churches is having a ceremony for a gay couple. It won't be official or legal, but it's going to be a big event.

#8    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• 1,575 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 17 April 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

http://www.stuff.co....riage-legalised

Same sex marriage passed in the Beehive lastnight. History is made.

Fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!! Go New Zealand!

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#9    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

My nephew and his husband have been together over 30 years.  I think they have earned the right to be married.  I'm sorry, but I think to call it anything else would be a slap in the face.

#10    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 17 April 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

My nephew and his husband have been together over 30 years.  I think they have earned the right to be married.  I'm sorry, but I think to call it anything else would be a slap in the face.

That is awesome. They do deserve to be married and have all the rights and recognition of a married couple.

However, the whole being together for 30 years part makes me want to faint. I couldn't image being with anyone for that long.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#11    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostRocketgirl, on 17 April 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

That is awesome. They do deserve to be married and have all the rights and recognition of a married couple.

However, the whole being together for 30 years part makes me want to faint. I couldn't image being with anyone for that long.
ikr, thats almost twice my age.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#12    Gravitorbox

Gravitorbox

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

If you believe marriage is about love then it makes sense to marry gays too.

But it has to do with childbirth, so it makes no sense whatsoever. It was originally conceived to celebrate bringing life into the world, and the economic benefits as a privilege towards those ends.

They re-defined marriage to be "about love" before gays were even accepted in society - so in a way, gays aren't even getting married, it's just something we call marriage. The reason why conservatives are losing is because they failed to realize the real meaning of marriage and resorted to using the Bible as an argument, just constantly stating "Marriage is between a man and a woman.", not explaining WHY or even bothering to make the logical argument - in a way, they deserved to lose.

"Everything we did was criticized. For about thirty years we lived with the world against us, accusing us of things we didn't do!"

- Ian Douglas Smith

#13    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,225 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

Plenty of straight people get married without the intent of having kids though. What if the woman is 50+ years old? Is she only allowed to marry if she can give birth?

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#14    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

I think marriage has evolved into love.
Yes, it may have started for childbirth purposes, but now, marriage is so much more than that.
Even if the conservatives brought that up, it's just about as ridiculous as fighting the "between man and woman" card.
For the time being, we still have a choice on who we marry and who we love. And in modern day society, a large majority marry for love and not so much baby making purposes.

Let freedom ring!

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

#15    Gravitorbox

Gravitorbox

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 17 April 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Plenty of straight people get married without the intent of having kids though.
In the past people didn't get married if they weren't going to have kids.

The thing is gays are right when they say modern people opposing gay marriage are hypocrites because modern people tend to accept the warped narrative anyway. Like I said, they deserved to lose.

I support actual traditional marriage. As it stands now though allowing gays to marry is like desecrating a corpse - it's mocking and unnecessary but hey, she's already dead.

View PostOdd Requiem, on 17 April 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

it's just about as ridiculous as fighting the "between man and woman" card.
No it's not, but then again they'd bring it up in a vacuum devoid of any other traditions, so it would seem arbitrary. They make no effort to enforce traditional marriage anyway, gays or no gays. Modern conservatives are more loyal to money and Jesus than anything, not a real nationalist spirit.

The way I see it though is imagine if in the future people forgot that handicapped parking spaces were only for handicapped people, and then people started to say it was "unequal", forgetting the reason for their existence...so then there was a movement to allow non-handicapped people to use them. Sounds silly at first but it shows how semantic distortion can warp perceptions over time. Granted it would be more obvious but I can't think of a better analogy. Understand though how frustrated I am when someone claims I am "anti-equality" for my views, they don't understand how I see it from my own worldview - but as I said, I concede that modern conservatives have no moral highground and in a way deserve to lose for being such banal idiots.

Edited by Gravitorbox, 18 April 2013 - 12:13 AM.

"Everything we did was criticized. For about thirty years we lived with the world against us, accusing us of things we didn't do!"

- Ian Douglas Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users