Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cloning

Battlestar Scralatchtica

Is cloning wrong?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is cloning wrong?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moe eubleck

• TheLight

• bathory

• kwaherutan

Its wrong!!! tongue.gif

Why do you think it is wrong?

Its wrong!!! tongue.gif

Why would a technology be wrong ? It's just a technology, that's the use we make of a technology that really matters. It's like saying nuclear reactions are wrong, you can produce electricity out of it but also make weapons.

In my opinion every progress in technology is good and most of the time is the use made by the military that is wrong.

TheLight

Cloning isn't just any technology, It's playing with life. I can see it's medical benefits....new body parts, and organs. I just think that creating new life only to give it's organs to the "original" is wrong. That's all I really know about the subject, and there may be other uses for cloning. I guess it would be fitting to bring back a species whose extinction was caused by man.

People are just getting too desperate to live longer. If it comes to using a cloned part so that I can live....forget it thumbdown.gif

I think the idea of cloning humans to serve as organ donors for other humans is very, very wrong. However, growing a kidney or a liver in a petri dish for someone who desperately needs it is not. As long as your only growing the specific organ. Am I making sense here?

As long as your only growing the specific organ.

They can do that? Maybe Gonzo needs to watch the news more often blink.gif

I think cloning is wrong myself. It would take away all value of human life. Just like there might be a way to decide if your child is a boy or a girl, what color eyes it has, what color hair, and so on. That's just rediculous. When it comes to human life, technology shouldn't get in the way. Except for when it comes to saving someone, but if you are trying to make people immortal - no. Haven't you ever seen the movie "The Sixth Day". Cloning just seems to me to be trouble in the making.

I think that most of the people made a mistake, you have to separate a technology and its applications. And what you're all judging are the applications of the technology, not the technology itself.

I mean there are far more reasons to be worried about genetically enhanced crops but people feel less treatened because it modifies plants rather than animals. What a mistake...

Human cloning can be very useful, one could clone body parts only not the full person. Well I'd like to be fully cloned so that my clone can go to work in my place while I keep making music on my computer wink2.gif

It could be also very interesting to genetically alter human beings to increase the brain capability for example, just a shortcut for evolution... And again it would probably be less dangerous that genetically modifying crops and growing them in the open as it is already done nowadays in USA. The problem with plants is that they reproduce by the mean of pollen (dragged by the wind) and can disseminate without control. One application if DNA modified seeds is to make crops that are sterile, e.g. the seeds they produce won't grow. The goal ? To sell them to people of the 3rd world, they can grow them once only but they can't grow it twice and thus get independants and self-sufficient. They have to go back to the big american corporation and buy the seeds again for the next season... Besides any moral aspects (or should I say immoral aspects), the real problem is that these crops pollens might contact non genetically modified crops and induce sterility into them, and that could put the whole earth biosystem at risk.

So people it's about time to wake up and open your eyes !

TheLight

i think its fine if they clone me. What if i die before my children grow up? I hate to leave my babies alone. I think I have alot to offer them as a father. ( sounds egotistic I know)

But I can see the arguement. Its one of those issues that are both right and wrong. It all depends on what your take is on other issues. A conspiracy theorist would have every right to fear human cloning as an army of clones made by the GOVERNMENT would be a scary proposition. a feminist may fear the cloning of women for pleasure drones. . or a prolifer may oppose the use of clones for human experimentation. wacko.gif .god i have gotten so off topic. I need to stop watching sci-fi movies.

Well, I don't know for sure if they can clone individual organs yet or not, I'm thinking it's probably a good possibility. As for genetically modified crops, yeah, there's reason to be concerned, for the reasons the light pointed out, but there are also a lot of good applications they can be put to. For instance, hardier crops to sell to those very same third world countries, which never seem to be where the best farm land is. As for sterility, I can't say I've ever heard of that, seeing as how I'm an artist, and only have a broad general view of things, I could be wrong. As for the technology itself being more important than it's possible applications... why do you think technology exists in the first place? If we didn't need to find new and more efficient ways to do things, we wouldn't have invented tools and would never have gotten out of the woods.

You can use a knife as a tool to cut your food but you can also use it to stab someone. That doesn't mean the knife is a bad technology, it just depends on its application. Biology (thus cloning) is the same and in general a technology is used for the worse purpose when it's put in the hands of people starving for power (the army or the big corporations)...

By the way, sterile crops exist as of today and are the main motivation for research, another example of bad technology use by big corporations. The danger is real and is already present as of today.

I think it's morally wrong - it's like playing God. It's distusting and appaling. I by far am a meat eater......but I will become a vegetarian before I ever eat cloned meat! I don't even agree with invetrofertilization - they need to leave it alone! I don't have a problem with organ donation provided that the donor can continue to live a normal healhty life without that organ. Nor do I have a problem with someone who wishes to donate his or her organs after they are decesased. Thats taking nature and applying it to nature. Cloning is taking something that is freakish and applying it.

Strange that people still mix religion and science... Didn't you learn from the past ? In the 16th century people were burn't for saying the earth was round (Copernic) or force to step back (Galileo). I'm just quoting two but there are many more. So saying we're playing God is already thinking along the same lines as 400 years ago. If mankind still exists in 400 years, I wonder what they're going to think of us. Cloning is already everywhere in nature, how do you think cells reproduce themselves ? Cellular division = cloning. So I don't think it's worse than dumping fertilizers and all kind of chemicals to grow plants (since you mention you'd rather be a vegetarian think about that), not to mention all the genetically enhanced crops...

Light - did you miss the part where I said I BELIEVE - not what scientists believe or what the general population believes. Thanks for critisizing my religion and beliefs. If it wern't for God your unbeliving rear wouldn't be here and then we wouldn't be having this discussion about how totally unmoral cloning is.

Cellular division is a NATURAL occurance... it is untouched by man. There is nothing that man does to make cells reproduce.

Genitcally altered food is wrong as well. Fertilizing plants to make sure they have the proper nutrients is not.

TheLight: the real problem is that these crops pollens might contact non genetically modified crops and induce sterility into them, and that could put the whole earth biosystem at risk.

So people it's about time to wake up and open your eyes !

that cant happen, hints sterile plants. they cant produce and fertalize. cant "mate" with other plants.

CASTOR

Cloning is sort of a double edged sword...

While I do think it would be wonderful for medical purposes (as someone said, growing new organs that, since they're from the origonal, wouldn't have any chance of being rejected) or even lost body parts (we can already grow human shaped ears on the back of rats)...

I also don't see anything wrong with picking and choosing the genes of an embryo, so long as it's for medical reasons...I read about this couple in the US, one of whom had a defective gene that meant any child they had would have a 50% of dying, and they were given permission to have that gene taken out of the zygote, as they'd already lost a child to it.

That, quite frankly, is what this technology SHOULD be used for...while I don't agree with made to order babies (I don't, for example, think you should be able to choose if you're child will have blue eyes or grey eyes, and so forth), I do think the technology itself could vastly improve our lives from a medical standpoint.

On the other hand...there would need to be a limit on exactly what we cloned...cloning whole people, I think, should never be allowed (and, so far as I know, there are plans to ensure it's made illegal should the technology ever come about). The further we went down the road, the easier it would be to abuse it.

Like has been repeatedly stated, it has its good and bad points!

To be able to clone an individual organ that is failing, to insure that its not ejected, is up to the sick person to decide, and only for them. To say its wrong, and not give them a chance at life is very wrong.

But to clone a complete human, is, purely in my opinion, wrong. Who are we to act like gods? We take enough life from wars, prejudice and anger, but by giving it back (in a sense) through cloning, isn’t right.

But… to bring back extinct animals, that man is responsible for destroying, or helping out breeds that are on the verge of extinction, can only be good.

As has already been said, the procedure is not bad; it’s only the way in which man uses it that makes it wrong. And because we all know what human nature is like, that’s why we are all a little pensive about this subject, because we know what mankind is capable of! crying.gif

Its wrong!!! tongue.gif

Why do you think it is wrong?

MC - she doesn't know, clearly. She just had a posting itch which she satisfied with this beautiful piece of prose.

*grinds teeth*

• 1 month later...

thumbdown.gif Cloning I believe is just too creepy I mean if you don't use it for a organ bank your clone may look like you and but she/he won't have your memories. And I believe the reason why companies who do this they just use the clones for organ banks. Agree or disagree?

Cloning is not wrong for me, it will be wrong only when I ll have another stupid ME

(See "Cloning Saddam" No2...No3.......No4................ )

Clone some IQ mr.Spok

wacko.gif

You can modify the clone to make it whiut brain, or head....just a body coneccted to machines, ready for when you need a new lung, or kidney, or whatever.

does this mean Moe gets to abuse the liver, lungs, brains he already has? Well then, its off to Amsterdam! tongue.gif

Cellular division is a NATURAL occurance... it is untouched by man.  There is nothing that man does to make cells reproduce.

Genitcally altered food is wrong as well. Fertilizing plants to make sure they have the proper nutrients is not.

If your definition of natural is untouched by man, then you shouldn't eat cabbage, apples, bannanas, brocolli, rice, or corns. Pretty much everything that is dosmeticated and genetically engineered in some way, using artifical natural selection (couldn't find any better term than artifical-natural selection).

Regarding playing God, I cannot find anything in the bible that say "thou shalt not clone." In fact Jesus gave food for 5000 people with only 2 fish.. how was it possible? Cloning? wink2.gif

I agree with TheLight in this case. There is nothing wrong with cloning. It is a technology. Wether it is good or not depends on how you are going to use it. As far as human cloning is concerned, I'm against it because of ethics. What is going to happen to him psychologically? "Good boy, what's your name?"

"Hi, I'm John"

"Where is your father?"

"I don't have a father"

"Oh, I'm sorry about him"

"That's OK sir, I don't have a father because I'm a clone"

Now, is there anything wrong with a cloned meat?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Meat from a cloned cattle has exactly the same structure as the meat from its original organism, as they have the same DNA. In fact they are much safer than the genetically-engineered corns or the radioactive-sterilled strawberries. I can argue further that meat from cloned cattles are safer than the meat from the naturally born cattle, as the natural one may contain mutagenes. As long as it is meat from a living cattle, natural birth or cloned, it is safe. But if they start to grow meat on plates in a factory, well, ..., I'll consider vegetarian

I concern more about the use of genetic engineering that actually modify a gene in the DNA, as there is no guarantee on the side effect of this new gene. USA is unfortunately known for this kind of technology used in the food production. Corns are definitely engineered this way. I don't know about chicken, but I have eat the real, natural chicken in Asia and they do taste a LOT better that the one available here. and ...

that cant happen, hints sterile plants. they cant produce and fertalize. cant "mate" with other plants.

CASTOR

You misunderstood what she said. They can mate with other plants, but the resulting plant will be sterile. It is common in breeding between two different species, and one criteria in defining a species: two individuals that can produce new fertile individuals.

OK, I have to go back to may lab. My army of clone is almost ready. MWAHAHAHAHAHA devil.gif

Mortal man has NO right to play God! We who can not even raise our own children right now desire to change all of life as our fancy see's fit? Well is it said"Lord what fools these mortals be."

Mortal man has NO right to play God! We who can not even raise our own children right now desire to change all of life as our fancy see's fit? Well is it said"Lord what fools these mortals be."

of course, because we all believe in your god disgust.gif