Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Digital files to be stored on DNA

seeder

Science now says it can save every movie in the world, every book in the world, and every mp3 - ever

On DNA. Which apparently can last for 1000's of years!

"Forget hard disks or DVDs. If you want to store vast amounts of information look instead to DNA, the molecule of which genes are made. Scientists in the UK have stored about a megabyte's worth of text, images and speech into a speck of DNA and then retrieved that data back almost faultlessly. They say that a larger-scale version of the technology could provide an extremely dense and long-lived form of digital storage that is particularly well suited to data archiving"

http://physicsworld....sing-dna-memory

and

"Half a Million DVDs in Your DNA"

At the storage density achieved, a single gram of DNA would hold 2.2 million gigabits of information, or about what you can store in 468,000 DVDs

http://news.sciencem...n-your-dna.html

Edited by seeder

If I store all the knowledge in the world on my DNA and implant it back into my body, will I become a walking super computer?

1bgs.jpg

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 2

If I store all the knowledge in the world on my DNA and implant it back into my body, will I become a walking super computer?

well its good for storage of files.. but HEY?

isn't that what DNA does anyway? We have every generation before us in our genes!

and?

do you know kung fu?

Edited by seeder

YES.

pic_morpheus.jpg

I'm a volunteer for Bruce lees memory storage! And Jackie Chan! And Mohammad Ali!

• Like 1

Holy molly! Those are some huge figures! This could be like a vial of this which connects on USB or some faster port and it would look like you connected loads of hdds.. They need to develop a port which will be able to process such amounts of data faster than usb.. Actually you need to design a whole new computer series for such technology.

So the contents of a book would be in the range of kB to MB (.txt file or otherwise)

So they would be storing the information in the range of something like 1/2.000889e^-12 to 1/2.0489106e^-9 grams of DNA.

This is cool but I'll be happy with the first big heavy 1 Petabyte HDD.

Science now says it can save every movie in the world, every book in the world, and every mp3 - ever

Only thing is right now you would have to watch it in sequence. A slight step backwards having to fast forward for a couple of years to get to your favorite movie!

So I can carry around my movie collection with me?? and what about blue rays?? are they compatible with dna too???

Edited by ancient astronaut

So I can carry around my movie collection with me?? and what about blue rays?? are they compatible with dna too???

Well a 4TB HDD will hold about 80 full HD movies (@~50GB each) ripped straight from Blu-ray disks without compression. So you could easily carry around your whole collection already...

"DNA computing storage", huh?

I guess that will bring new meaning to the term "computer virus" :w00t:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I guess this is what they mean by it must be in the DNA.