Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have physicists discovered dark matter ?

Saru

Hard evidence for the existence of dark matter is expected to be announced within the next two weeks.

Physicists may have finally found hard evidence for the existence of dark matter. And reports from the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston say the announcement could come within the next fortnight - if the data holds up.

arrow3.gifRead more...

We live in a golden age of physics.

Quite true frank!The only downside to it is when we make these huge breakthroughs we first try to figure out a way to control it,then weaponize it.After that then we try to figure out other uses for its potential.

"But don't get too excited - he added the findings were a "small step" and doesn't anticipate a true understanding of dark matter for many years."

I am not too happy because they already in a way postulated this force earlier on in their physics model, indicating that it may exist then only the world and the observed phenomena may exist as we know it.

But then also if they completely prove it experimentally, its a good news.

• Like 1

"But don't get too excited - he added the findings were a "small step" and doesn't anticipate a true understanding of dark matter for many years."

I am not too happy because they already in a way postulated this force earlier on in their physics model, indicating that it may exist then only the world and the observed phenomena may exist as we know it.

But then also if they completely prove it experimentally, its a good news.

Your caution is merited; I don't understand your second paragraph.

In the article Links it states: "How could it correctly describe the motion of the bodies in the Solar System, as Einstein's theory is known to do" when in fact it is Kepler and Newton that describe this, and it is their Maths that are used in Solar System exploration and extra planetary probes.

The article also states that Einstein was the first to propose that "Empty space" was not in fact empty. This is again incorrect, because in Victorian times, and even in Newtons era, a proposal was forwarded related to the "Aether"... something that prevented a perfect vacuum, and was ubiquitous, and made up of (unknown) particles that encompassed all.

Rant over: I hope there is something really exciting to come from this endeavour, but even the experimenters are not predicting Hard Evidence.

This may be a desperate attempt to shore up a theroy for idelogical and dogmaic reasons basicly String Theroy.

String Theory is not related to Dark Matter so I do not understand your comment.

@Frank Merton: why do you think that String Theory is anything to do with Christian Fundamentalism? You sound like a Luddite!!

The aether was not conceived as a property of space but as something in space. Your first objection borders on picking nits. If classical physics is used to describe something, that is only because greater accuracy is not perceived as needed.

Even just bits of information about the 80% of matter in the universe we can't see, and know practically nothing about seems a very important discovery.

This may be a desperate attempt to shore up a theroy for idelogical and dogmaic reasons basicly String Theroy.

lol String theorists seem to me to be like fundamentalists in a way in their enthusiasm for their theory. With no empirical evidence to back string theory up so far, it's almost a belief system.

That's my rant. As for dark energy, I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this study.

The aether was not conceived as a property of space but as something in space. Your first objection borders on picking nits. If classical physics is used to describe something, that is only because greater accuracy is not perceived as needed.

NO... just wrong, it was considered to be fundamental to space.

Christian fundamentalists do the sort of thing you were suggesting, not scientists.

I am an atheist - and what you are suggesting is plain dumb - Christian Fundamentalists could not even concieve of String Theory, goes agains the Bible

String theory has the huge attractive aspect that gravity just falls out of the numbers uninvited but most welcome. I suppose this is the closest theoretical physics gets to sheer beauty, so of course they like it. I don't think however that they are going to fudge results to get what they want. This particular activity is too easy to double-check.

I am an atheist - and what you are suggesting is plain dumb - Christian Fundamentalists could not even concieve of String Theory, goes agains the Bible

You are being insulting in my view beyond the line. And do a little research.

lol String theorists seem to me to be like fundamentalists in a way in their enthusiasm for their theory. With no empirical evidence to back string theory up so far, it's almost a belief system.

That's my rant. As for dark energy, I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this study.

String Theory desreves investigation, because if verifiable it will answer lots of questions. If it becomes unverifiable then that is another story - but at a fundamental level it is trying to describe interractions that almost by definition cannot be detected by our current state of experimental testing.

This study is only looking at Dark Matter, Dark Energy is promulgated (without evidence either) to make up 73% of the Universe. Dark Matter only some 23%, with Matter (as we know it) being in the region of just 6%

You are being insulting in my view beyond the line. And do a little research.

In my view your original statement suggesting that String Theorists are also Christian Fundamentalists is by far the worse accusation here. You would like to stifle Scientific Endeavour by belittling its more esoteric proponents, and theorists.

Eisteinian Gravity theory (along with GRT and SRT) is far from being an unassailable topic, and why people think it such is a mystery to me. His work is plagiarised, his math inconsistent (or plain wrong), his Thought Experiments shown to be flawed.

I continuously research, either to prove or disprove my own beliefs (it doesn't matter to me which is the outcome)

So next time, please forward a Theory, rather than calling a whole branch of Physics as being the work of Religious Fundamentalists, without supporting that claim.

Just one more thing: please describe precisely what "Gravity" is you would be the 1st person to do so

Edited by keithisco

Wasn't this already posted here?

I think when he said the physics was beyond him, it kinda scared everyone off from posting more. Now we have this one instead. But you are right.

• Like 1

I think when he said the physics was beyond him, it kinda scared everyone off from posting more. Now we have this one instead. But you are right.

Lol, when Waspie doesn't understand it, run.

Eisteinian Gravity theory (along with GRT and SRT) is far from being an unassailable topic, and why people think it such is a mystery to me. His work is plagiarised, his math inconsistent (or plain wrong), his Thought Experiments shown to be flawed.

Can you provide examples?

Just one more thing: please describe precisely what "Gravity" is you would be the 1st person to do so

A mutually attractive force that scales with inertia.

Folks, can we please cut out the personal comments and Christian bashing please, This is not the Spirituality vs Skepticism section. Thank you.

• Like 1

Lol, when Waspie doesn't understand it, run.

There are many, MANY, things I don't understand, including, but not limited to, physics, income tax, the meaning of life, the universe and everything, cubist art and women. I was, for a while, a chemist, but I don't really understand chemistry either.

Edited to add

Having reread this it seems I don't understand when to use "their" and "there" either. Still I've changed that so no one will notice ;)

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 5