Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ideas For The UM Website

4dplane

I'll go first - I would like to see who voted for what on the polls. To me it would make them a bit more valid because some people would be less prone to lie about what they voted on.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• mypaddedroom

• 4dplane

• jack0fhearts

Guest Lottie

UM is a fab website and as far as I see Saru has it perfectly under control.

As for voting, voting is a personal and private thing and should be kept that way.

Edited by Lottie

I think we should have the option to change our vote. I've had countless times when I accidently clicked on the opposite of what I wanted to vote for.

And whatever happend to that clown smiley?

How about a graph page that gives you the outlook of the number of people on UM and what page they are on, this way one could clearly see what’s going on at all times.

These are all fine ideas, but in order for them to be added they must first be written into the next version of Invision Power Board, or released as a modification. To make changes like the vote changer or graph for example, requires a lot of time and work changing the code in the scripts, and would take me quite a long time. Because of that i tend to only use pre-made feature modifications, or wait until a feature has been built into the forum software itself.

I do appreciate all the suggestions though, it gives me an idea of what people are looking for and which modifications I should be looking out for thumbsup.gif

I tend to agree that keeping the votes in polls private would be best, i doubt people would be as eager to vote if everyone could see what option they voted for.

• 2 weeks later...

This one would be very useful when looking though previous posts.

Go to profile options and select "Find member's posts". When selecting a post it would be great if you were taken to the page of the post you clicked on - as of now, when you select the post you are taken to the first page only - point is, the topic may be 50 pages - that’s a lot of pages to sift though to find the original post.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a definite must have - the ability to change the title / sub title of a thread you have started.

wink2.gif

Go to profile options and select "Find member's posts". When selecting a post it would be great if you were taken to the page of the post you clicked on - as of now, when you select the post you are taken to the first page only - point is, the topic may be 50 pages - that’s a lot of pages to sift though to find the original post.

448518[/snapback]

Erm....maybe my computer is just special, but when I do that and click on "Post preview" it does take me right to the post I selected, despite whatever page number it may be on. Are you sure your clicking on the right part?

OMG really it does????? U mean I've been using it wrong for MONTHS!!!!!!! blink.gif

EDIT:- It DOES work!!!!!

And how spooky bardude, i clicked on ur profile and on any of the previews.... just a random one, and it took me to the post where sppoks told u not to break my heart ohmy.gifgrin2.gifwub.gif

YEY u xxxx

Edited by Snowbaby

This is a definite must have - the ability to change the title / sub title of a thread you have started.

wink2.gif

464349[/snapback]

That could cause some problems and or confusion, if you wish to edit or change your topic title or sub-title, just email a mod and they can do it for you. thumbsup.gif

448518[/snapback]

Erm....maybe my computer is just special, but when I do that and click on "Post preview" it does take me right to the post I selected, despite whatever page number it may be on. Are you sure your clicking on the right part?

464631[/snapback]

Ya - it does work, I was always clicking on the title of the post - I did not notice until you mentioned it, that there is a Post Preview button at the bottom center of every post.

Thanks, thebarman

See I knew it was a good idea grin2.gif

wink2.gif

464349[/snapback]

That could cause some problems and or confusion, if you wish to edit or change your topic title or sub-title, just email a mod and they can do it for you. thumbsup.gif

464851[/snapback]

True, but there could be a edit mark on the 1st post telling users that the thread starter edited the title or sub-title. Not much different then the current ability to edit posts.

Asking a mod to change it for you is not bad, just thought it would make things easer for everyone.

You'd have to go to Invision Board with some of these suggestions really, these are more ideas for the forum software developers.

^ Would that include a "modified" thread search? It would be easier if when you use the search command it only searches for the word(s) that were mentioned in the title or subtile, not word(s) that were mentioned in the posts.

Would that include a "modified" thread search? It would be easier if when you use the search command it only searches for the word(s) that were mentioned in the title or subtile, not word(s) that were mentioned in the posts.

That feature already exists, click "more options" on the search screen, then click the radio button for "search titles only".

You'd have to go to Invision Board with some of these suggestions really, these are more ideas for the forum software developers.

466190[/snapback]

I have that ablility on Musical Metaphysics, although it's because MC gave it to me. Is it possible to give everyone this ability?

The option to let people edit their own topic titles is available, it's just disabled.

What I was referring to was what 4dplane suggested afterwards about a system that displayed an icon to show that a topic title has been changed, which isn't presently available.

UM is a fab website and as far as I see Saru has it perfectly under control.

As for voting, voting is a personal and private thing and should be kept that way.

433762[/snapback]

I agree with both these statements...

The option to let people edit their own topic titles is available, it's just disabled.

What I was referring to was what 4dplane suggested afterwards about a system that displayed an icon to show that a topic title has been changed, which isn't presently available.

466336[/snapback]

Ahh, ok then.

But, other then confusion, is there any reasons why people shouldn't be able to change the title of their topics?

Would that include a "modified" thread search? It would be easier if when you use the search command it only searches for the word(s) that were mentioned in the title or subtile, not word(s) that were mentioned in the posts.

That feature already exists, click "more options" on the search screen, then click the radio button for "search titles only".

466300[/snapback]

ohmy.gif

My life is now easier.

But, other then confusion, is there any reasons why people shouldn't be able to change the title of their topics?

A significant concern is the possibility for abuse, it would be too easy for someone to rename some of their own threads to offensive/obcene titles, or to keep renaming them all the time to try and get their thread to appear higher up in the forum search engine results. We would probably also end up having long-running threads renamed on a whim and then nobody being able to find them.

um needs a thread for arguing. yes as weird as it is some people like to argue viciously why not make a place where they can without it getting deleted? like call it the battlefield or something. the reason behind this idea is that some people can get offended easily so if they dont want to hear it then they just dont click on it

um needs a thread for arguing. yes as weird as it is some people like to argue viciously why not make a place where they can without it getting deleted? like call it the battlefield or something. the reason behind this idea is that some people can get offended easily so if they dont want to hear it then they just dont click on it

I don't think we should be trying to encourage overly aggressive arguing, even if it was restricted to one thread. I'd rather people didn't use the forum for having a go at and insulting one another.

It would be good if you could link to images from the gallery, a couple of times I've found it would have been handy to do so but it's disabled. I'm guessing because of potential copyright issues??

What about a system whereby when you are writing your post you had an "Insert picture from gallery" option which would enable you to browse the gallery for the image you wanted and have it in your post but still have remote linking disabled?

This would save having the same image uploaded twice or having to remote link it from another site.

I'd love personalised galleries on the homepages. Just a seperate page that shows all of your pictures, maybe even in thumbnail view at the bottom of the homepage or something.

Also, i saw this on a different invision board, a warning meter?

Basically it's something only you, the mods and the admins can see, and it starts off at 0%. With each warning you get, it goes up for an amount of time and if you continuously break the rules, the warning meter would get to 100% resulting in a suspension of the account. Twice this happens, you're out.