Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stimulus $ goes to cocaine for monkeys.

AROCES

Prior to signing his federal “stimulus” bill in early 2009, President Obama warned, “If we do not move swiftly to sign (the act) into law, an economy that is already in crisis will be faced with catastrophe.”

Here in North Carolina, Governor Perdue similarly declared that we were “facing the consequences of the national economic crisis,” and that failure to pass the stimulus bill would “jeopardize the education of our children and the health care of our citizens.” She further noted that the stimulus will help “create jobs, stimulate the economy, and provide relief to North Carolina's families.”

One year later, the debate over the stimulus bill’s effectiveness rages on. A close inspection of stimulus grants and contracts awarded to North Carolina reveals a rather questionable strategy for the disbursement of stimulus funds. Many projects seem completely unrelated to avoiding an economic “catastrophe,” but rather an ad hoc satisfaction of countless dubious wish lists.

The Civitas Institute poured through the federal website charged with tracking stimulus spending, and created the following list – The 10 Worst Federal Stimulus Projects in North Carolina.

1. Study of monkeys using cocaine: $71,623

Wake Forest University was granted money to “study the effects of self-administering cocaine on the glutamate system on monkeys.” Well, at least the monkeys will be stimulated.

http://www.jwpcivitasinstitute.org/media/publication-archive/policy-brief/hot-flashes-dead-bugs-and-cocaine-monkeys-10-worst-federal-st

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• Ignus Fatuus

• Harte

• Voyager10

Top Posters In This Topic

One year later, the debate over the stimulus bill's effectiveness rages on.

No it doesn't. Nice try at cherry picking.

No it doesn't. Nice try at cherry picking.

I would agree cherry picking myself if it was not a very recent article. Here is the problem ... you want to study monkeys snorting coke, look at the sick "us" who do it daily.

We sober people are already paying for "our" addiction to coke ... hmmmm how do you call it picking cherries when the cherries are sitting in a huge bowl in front of you already picked???

No picking necessary ... the coke headed monkeys would be sober enough not to do this!!!!

Tell that to the monkeys.

You bet ... coked out of their heads the monkeys would be ill looking at the cherries. I bet that in this study they have also found the fastest weight loss system for monkeys as well as poor humans. Just shove powder and such up the nose of monkeys and those two children down the street will go just a little more hungry this year.

Though just a tale, Washington as he could not lie said "yes father, :blush: I cut down the cherry tree" ... now Washington says screw you father :angry2: (father being the people)!!! I own this cherry tree!!!

Have you no compassion?

These monkeys are in great need. It is not your place to criticize them.

Have YOU ever had to deal with life with a human on YOUR back?

Harte

harte are you advocating the use of narcotics? that would be terrible irresponsible of you imo. is it just me or does that heart keep beating faster and faster.. and faster... what have you been subjecting your sinuses to lately?

Wake Forest University was granted money to “study the effects of self-administering cocaine on the glutamate system on monkeys.” Well, at least the monkeys will be stimulated.

Self-administering? No wonder it's costing so much money :no:

What's wrong with a fraction of the stimulus money going to scientific research? I'm the first to say that the stimulus was a profoundly awful idea and is just propping up the system temporarily and delaying the inevitable and making the inevitable crash worse... but why go after scientific research specifically?

This research is examining the effects of cocaine addiction on the glutamate system in monkeys. This is a loop of neural circuits that does a hell of a lot in your brain, and is involved in addiction. You would prefer that we study the biochemistry and neurology in humans? This sort of research is how we learn how our brains work, how to treat addicts, and how various neurological diseases are caused and can be treated. Basic research is where we get the basic information that the applied researchers take in order to produce useful products and procedures.

What's wrong with a fraction of the stimulus money going to scientific research? I'm the first to say that the stimulus was a profoundly awful idea and is just propping up the system temporarily and delaying the inevitable and making the inevitable crash worse... but why go after scientific research specifically?

This research is examining the effects of cocaine addiction on the glutamate system in monkeys. This is a loop of neural circuits that does a hell of a lot in your brain, and is involved in addiction. You would prefer that we study the biochemistry and neurology in humans? This sort of research is how we learn how our brains work, how to treat addicts, and how various neurological diseases are caused and can be treated. Basic research is where we get the basic information that the applied researchers take in order to produce useful products and procedures.

Many here know what the research is for ... yet we are not in well enough financial shape to provide snort for monkeys. The war on drugs is much more simple than "they" are making it out to be.

Here is my problem not as much with "snorting monkeys" as it is with the whole stimulus ordeal. Fractions add up into whole numbers, as in a whole lot of numbers. Stimulus ... should do what it is meant to do and stimulate the economy, not monkeys.

"How to treat addicts"??? Go after the cause ... pharmacies, doctors, the pill pipeline!!! We have 12 year old children here in my hometown in Ky, overdosing on pain pills. Basic research??? How about bust the pipeline!!! ... :yes:

The percentage of addicts in the U.S is growing everyday ... time for us to stop monkeying around!!! Time for us to concentrate on the cause ... not treatment for what the cause causes.

Edited by Ignus Fatuus

Those particular grants didn't add up to much more than a million, if even that mark, combined, but if these are just the tip of the research iceberg they funded. . . then they did it all wrong. And no, AROCES didn't cherry-pick. Nothing he quoted was unique within the article, the entire article was in that vein. It would have been cherry-picking if the article had mostly been in the opposite vein, and that one quote was simply acknowledging some small problem in a mostly great idea. Definition-fail.

The stimulus should have gone to getting American jobs back from China, opening up more manufactories and resource jobs /here/, not sticking it in multinational coprporations that need to burn in H.E. Double Hockeytsticks. Too big to fail? Try so big that they need to ****ing fail.

The gov is a corporate flunkie now, nothing more or less. Both parties.

Oh, and either legalize the softer drugs we're not allowed to have, or use the excess soldiers we're getting back from Iraq this year as DEA heavy force, and destroy weed fields before declaring war on the Latin American drug countries and exterminating the cartels by lethal force. Drug problem: Solved.

Edited by J.B.

harte are you advocating the use of narcotics? that would be terrible irresponsible of you imo. is it just me or does that heart keep beating faster and faster.. and faster... what have you been subjecting your sinuses to lately?

LMAO!

Actually, it speeds up everytime I look at Emma Acid's avatar!

Harte

Obama said we need to act now to create growth and jobs.,

So how does that create jobs in the next year or two?

Where does the coke come from? Isn't the government essentially funding illegal drug manufacturers here?

Obama said we need to act now to create growth and jobs.,

So how does that create jobs in the next year or two?

Silly Aroces. That $70,000 "saved or created" many scientist jobs. :rolleyes:

Where does the coke come from? Isn't the government essentially funding illegal drug manufacturers here?

I agree... cocaine and heroin are manufactured in their host countries before being shipped somehow, someway into western nations.

Believe it or not but the cocaine has got to be the most inexpensive part of the experiment.

What if the monkeys could be trained to sell the cocaine?

lightbulb_idea%5B1%5D.jpg

:)

They should train some of the monkeys to sell, and train some of the others to be like the monkey-Demons from the movie/book Congo. Heh, they could not only sell the Coke, but take out the cartels and end up running the whole drug empire.