Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas Is Indicted

questionmark

AUSTIN, Tex. — A grand jury indicted Gov. Rick Perry on two felony counts on Friday, charging that he abused his power last year when he tried to pressure the district attorney here, a Democrat, to step down by threatening to cut off state financing to her office.

The indictment left Mr. Perry, a Republican, the first Texas governor in nearly 100 years to face criminal charges and presented a major roadblock to his presidential ambitions at the very time that he had been showing signs of making a comeback.

Grand jurors in Travis County charged Mr. Perry with abusing his official capacity and coercing a public servant, according to Michael McCrum, the special prosecutor assigned to the case.

Read more

Guess we wont see him in the '16 primaries....

This looks like some House of Cards stuff. A whopper out of nowhere. What's the difference between this and threats of a pen and a phone up on The Hill?

• Like 2

Our current president does this kind of thing all the time. Too bad Perry can't play the race card.

His critics asserted that he used that power as leverage to try to get an elected official —Rosemary Lehmberg, the district attorney in Travis County — to step down after her arrest on a drunken-driving charge last year.

Wow, Shame on Rick Perry. :innocent:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

So basically he defunds her department if she doesn't quit and that's illegal because it is coercion of a public official? How is that different from the cries to defund the IRS if Lois Lerner doesn't testify?

• Like 2

So basically he defunds her department if she doesn't quit and that's illegal because it is coercion of a public official? How is that different from the cries to defund the IRS if Lois Lerner doesn't testify?

In that, by defunding the IRS, they won't have any tax revenue to spend on the cellar sauna?

• Like 1

I guess the powers that be weren't pleased with his decision to theatrically do nothing about illegal immigration. Either that or it's really coincidental timing.

• Like 1

I guess the powers that be weren't pleased with his decision to theatrically do nothing about illegal immigration. Either that or it's really coincidental timing.

It is coincidental timing. If Perry wanted to defund the Texas Dept. of Agriculture nobody would have given a rusty nail but he was defunding the 3d arm of government, the judicial. And that makes it interesting.

Our current president does this kind of thing all the time. Too bad Perry can't play the race card.

His critics asserted that he used that power as leverage to try to get an elected official —Rosemary Lehmberg, the district attorney in Travis County — to step down after her arrest on a drunken-driving charge last year.

Wow, Shame on Rick Perry. :innocent:

I find it incredible that there is no rule that she didn't HAVE to be removed after such an indiscretion. How can she be in charge of an office that prosecutes citizens for the very crime she herself committed? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe a single DUI is or should be a career ender but in most cases for many professions - it is. Whatever happened to leading by example?
  • Like 3

ind it incredible that there is no rule that she didn't HAVE to be removed after such an indiscretion. How can she be in charge of an office that prosecutes citizens for the very crime she herself committed?

Arrest does not equal conviction.

• Like 1

Simple, the later was a THREAT while the former something he actually did.

It's the difference between saying "bugger off or I'll break you're nose" and actually breaking someone's nose.

I don't think he did anything wrong...sorry.

I'm not a fan of his, but this woman needed to be removed from office...no it is not ok for a public official in her position to get slap @ss drunk and act the fool. Want to see the videos?

This is NOT acceptable for a District attorney.

[media=]

[/media]

The country prosecutor where I live got caught up in a domestic violence charge and violated a restraining order. The county had to hire special prosecutors to handle all kinds of domestic violence cases while he is going through his trial. This is taking months. The special prosecutors are costing the country tens of thousands of dollars. They have asked him to resign to save the county money and he has refused...repeatedly. The county has now passed a resolution to have him removed from office...and I agree with them.

People in these positions should be held to a different standard...if they cannot measure up...they need to be big about it and step down.

Being put in the position that someone has to remove you or force your resignation does not speak well of someone's character when considering the facts of the cases involved.

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

I tend to agree with Jerimiah. While Perry may have technically committed a crime it really just looks like politics. It doesn't even look like dirty politics but if it is it's really small potatoes in the world of dirty politics where technical crimes and backstabbing are just part of the game. Seriously, worse things happen everyday in politics. For a sudden and swift grand jury indictment to pop out of nowhere I think Perry p'd off the wrong guy.

I tend to agree with Jerimiah. While Perry may have technically committed a crime it really just looks like politics. It doesn't even look like dirty politics but if it is it's really small potatoes in the world of dirty politics where technical crimes and backstabbing are just part of the game. Seriously, worse things happen everyday in politics. For a sudden and swift grand jury indictment to pop out of nowhere I think Perry p'd off the wrong guy.

Like the District Attorney ;)

• Like 1

I don't really know much about the case, but a good friend of mine is a died in the wool flaming liberal judge in Arkansas and even he says the whole thing is BS. That's about all I need to know.

• Like 2

Like the District Attorney ;)

Yea but he's the governor. I'm thinking someone higher up the chain on the Hill or a player behind the scenes. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy but if there is that is what I think it'd be. Headlines like this don't just pop up everyday. Maybe it's been news in Texas but Perry is a well known and recognized politician and there would normally be a scandalous build up in the national news for something like this. Then again, maybe I missed it but it looks like everyone else has too. Just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Guess we wont see him in the '16 primaries....

Just democrats doing what democrats do. They tried it on Scott Walker and he kicked your asses. Your party will be trying this all over the country this election year (got nothing else do you?) so you'll be busy posting rubbish. Hopefully this leads to tort reform of some kind, with serious financial damage for frivolous, politics based lawsuits like your sect is doing here

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

What does criminal charges have to do with tort reform? He is looking at jail time not a lawsuit.

Do you even know what the case is about? Criminal indictment over a veto battle. LMAO. It is an absurdity and very destructive to our political system. Progressive's last gasp before the long time out.

edit: Tort reform means there is a punishment for frivolous lawsuits, criminal and civil. That will stop this.

Edited by Merc14

Even David Axelrod smells a fish. What does that tell ya?

http://www.theblaze....blow-your-mind/

When he beats this one they'll bring another. Questionmark and his party believe this is a good way to run the country, sue the opposition, yet we have a disaster in nearly every democrat run state and now the country is a mess beyond imagining, yet they want to continue. Why? Who wins? I understand those on the public dole not wanting a change but why do smart people want this destruction? We have a progressive government and it is a disaster and the solution is more of the same?

• Like 3

Do you even know what the case is about? Criminal indictment over a veto battle. LMAO. It is an absurdity and very destructive to our political system. Progressive's last gasp before the long time out.

edit: Tort reform means there is a punishment for frivolous lawsuits, criminal and civil. That will stop this.

As I said before: If Perry would have tried to defund the department of agriculture nobody would give a ****. But he was trying to defund an independent arm of the government, the judicial, and that makes it interesting.

As I said before: If Perry would have tried to defund the department of agriculture nobody would give a ****. But he was trying to defund an independent arm of the government, the judicial, and that makes it interesting.

They filed over 100 indictments against Palin up in Alaska, filed a few against Walker in Missouri, now they are after Perry. There are probably more I am not aware of. It is the new democrat way to influence elections and the reason is because the democrats are losing at the state level at an alarming rate (for them).

I think you are confusing law suits with criminal charges still.

The point is they drag them into court again and again on frivolous lawsuits or silly charges that go nowhere but cost much in time and money to defend.

I don't think he did anything wrong...sorry.

I'm not a fan of his, but this woman needed to be removed from office...no it is not ok for a public official in her position to get slap @ss drunk and act the fool. Want to see the videos?

This is NOT acceptable for a District attorney.

[media=]

[/media]

The country prosecutor where I live got caught up in a domestic violence charge and violated a restraining order. The county had to hire special prosecutors to handle all kinds of domestic violence cases while he is going through his trial. This is taking months. The special prosecutors are costing the country tens of thousands of dollars. They have asked him to resign to save the county money and he has refused...repeatedly. The county has now passed a resolution to have him removed from office...and I agree with them.

People in these positions should be held to a different standard...if they cannot measure up...they need to be big about it and step down.

Being put in the position that someone has to remove you or force your resignation does not speak well of someone's character when considering the facts of the cases involved.

If we held public officials to a higher standard half the House & Senate would be vacant. Actually, that may not be a bad thing. The law presumes innocence until guilt is proven and we are all entitled to a jury of our peers.

• Like 1