Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deer hunter kills rare albino buck

Still Waters

A deer hunter is fearing for his life after he killed a rare albino buck in Missouri and posted photos of its corpse on Facebook, sparking outrage across the social network.

Jerry Kinnaman himself has now become a target since slaying the animal with a bow and arrow on a friend's property in Cape Girardeau County as dawn broke on Tuesday.

'Not my biggest buck but at 7 1/2 years old he might be the oldest,' Kinnaman wrote on Facebook alongside pictures of the dead deer. 'Let the bashing begin!'

http://www.dailymail...s-Facebook.html

http://www.semissour...ry/2143060.html

I don't understand what the big deal is. Just because it was albino doesn't mean much.

Sure, it is unusual for a creature to have survived for all this time but all deer die at some point or another.

Was it beautiful? I don't know, I suppose it was just as "nice" as any other deer. Was it special? Except for the fact it survived as an albino, no.

I am no hunter and do not care for sport hunting but at the same time a deer is a deer, color doesn't really make it special.

I am sure that "beautiful" deer won't be looked at as being so beautiful once it starts killing off saplings because it ate the bark off or pushed them over, breaking them as it rubbed its antlers on it.

• Like 1

I'm an avid deer hunter, but I would have let this one go.

• Like 7

I'm an avid deer hunter, but I would have let this one go.

Why? It's just a deer. Why should its coat color be a determining factor? Unless it was a mommy deer with fawns I don't see the specialness.

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the viewpoint that it was somehow special.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

Why? It's just a deer. Why should its coat color be a determining factor? Unless it was a mommy deer with fawns I don't see the specialness.

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the viewpoint that it was somehow special.

For me albino animals have always held me in awe, mostly wolves and deer.

Albino deer are very rare. If you read it in the article, it was a local treasure. The people of the community, and other hunters left it alone. He was just being a "D" when he shot it. He knew he'd catch grief for it.

Edited by Karasu
  • Like 5

He claims he saved the deer from a cruel fate of starving during the winter. I see that as BS. You show mercy to an animal to alleviate suffering, not to prevent possible suffering in the future. Otherwise it isn't mercy. He just wanted a story to tell and I'l guarantee it's a story he'll tell anyone who will listen for the rest of his life. Very few hunters can claim to have killed an albino animal.

• Like 6

Just a deer this one just so happened to have a genetic mutation,as long as he intends to eat it i dont see the problem or much of a story here.

• Like 2

Sure when a white deer is shot down people say who cares if hes white... low brow i know :w00t:

• Like 3

They should have captured it and charged people to see it then they could make a buck.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 2

Nice rack.

I saw a white buck once when I was a teenager. It was across a ravine on a rock outcropping and I only wish I'd had a camera.

• Like 3

Disgusting. And he say like ' it's not my biggest '... Something to really be proud of, such a beautiful animal and he shot it because 'it would die anyways'. Actually, he didn't shot it he saved it lol

• Like 3

Why do some people take pleasure in killing a wild animal and attempt to justify their actions by calling it "sport"

I never understood how anyone can take pleasure in killing.

• Like 8

Never realized we had so many vegetarians and vegans on UM hmmm...

Good to know ,more protein on earth for me!!!

• Like 1

He claims he saved the deer from a cruel fate of starving during the winter. I see that as BS.

It is BS. If the animal was eight years old then it obviously went through all the seasons and still managed to forage and avoid predation so it did not need to be saved from anything so on that note I agree.

• Like 4

I understand there are hunters who 'do what they do' and don't additionally cause pain in other people.

Sounds he shot it bc he wanted the attention, what a miserable being.

• Like 1

I don't agree with hunters that just shoot and take pics. If you kill a deer, or elk, or whatnot, you need to clean it and bring it home to eat.

• Like 2

Never realized we had so many vegetarians and vegans on UM hmmm...

I'm neither, and still find it disturbing that someone would kill such a rare animal just to make a name for himself. No regard for the animal whatsoever, just out to show off "look what I just killed".

• Like 2

I'm neither, and still find it disturbing that someone would kill such a rare animal just to make a name for himself. No regard for the animal whatsoever, just out to show off "look what I just killed".

As i said in my first post if he ate it this is no big deal,if he just killed it to brag then he is just a d-bag.The animal is only rare because of its color,with an estimated population of 30 million deer in our country we wont be running out of them any time soon....

The saddest thing about this story is how people record every moment of their lives on facebook then whine and cry about their safety when it comes back and bites them in the backside haha

Edited by CrimsonKing

As i said in my first post if he ate it this is no big deal,if he just killed it to brag then he is just a d-bag.The animal is only rare because of its color,with an estimated population of 30 million deer in our country we wont be running out of them any time soon....

The saddest thing about this story is how people record every moment of their lives on facebook then whine and cry about their safety when it comes back and bites them in the backside haha

I've found that Many people who post a lot of facebook are in it for the drama and attention. It is too bad, because FB could be a good way to keep in contact with friends and family if done right. However every other person you meet a the mall wants you to be their FB friend and if you say no, then your a hater, or a a-hole.

The animal is only rare because of its color,with an estimated population of 30 million deer in our country we wont be running out of them any time soon....

All the more reason why he could have left the albino alone.

All the more reason why he could have left the albino alone.

Once again it is just a regular deer with a genetic defect,it is not an endangered species.One out of every 20 thousand deer have this defect.This is not a super rare animal like a white rhino or anything...There is a reason we have deer season here in the states these animals reproduce fairly quickly.

Edited by CrimsonKing

It is BS. If the animal was eight years old then it obviously went through all the seasons and still managed to forage and avoid predation so it did not need to be saved from anything so on that note I agree.

Any deer that survives that long whilst being albino SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN KILLED!

These are the kind of deer and animals you want around to keep breeding to make the population stronger. Obviously this was one tough deer. Why do rednecks have to kill everything??? WWHHYYY??!!!

Any deer that survives that long whilst being albino SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN KILLED!

These are the kind of deer and animals you want around to keep breeding to make the population stronger. Obviously this was one tough deer. Why do rednecks have to kill everything??? WWHHYYY??!!!

Albinism is a genetic defect...How does that make anything stronger through genes?Please explain in detail...

I have no problem with the taking of a deer, being a hunter myself. Around here there is Native American folklore than seeing a white stag will bring good fortune so personally I wouldn't shoot one. I just think that this particular hunter has wanted to shoot this deer for some time and had a chance to fabricate a story to justify it so the locals wouldn't be angry with him. The deer was something of a local 'celebrity', from the article. I see no reason to have shot this deer, for food or not. His friend asked him to come shoot the deer on his property because it was a nuisance. It's not like he just happened across the deer randomly in the wild.

• Like 1