Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Army recruitment at 16 'should stop'

Commander CMG

I guess this will make it difficult for me to get my National Concription bill through Parliament when I become PM?

The "outdated" practice of recruiting 16-year-olds into the Army is wasting up to £94m a year and should stop, two human rights groups have said.

Child Soldiers International and ForcesWatch claim it costs the Ministry of Defence (MoD) twice as much to train a 16-year-old as it does an adult.

That is due to longer training and a higher drop-out rate, they say.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

I can see their point, but shouldn`t the human rights brigade be concentrating more on the 6 year old kids being forced to fight in third world countries first? I know they were on the case years back, but its still happening today and is far more frightening than this.

• Like 1

I can see their point, but shouldn`t the human rights brigade be concentrating more on the 6 year old kids being forced to fight in third world countries first? I know they were on the case years back, but its still happening today and is far more frightening than this.

I could tell you a few stories..(save that for another time)..

You don’t need to look much further than Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), There are more but I am using him as an example, to see the problem with child soldiers.

Over 100,000 abducted children forced to become soldiers & child-sex slaves…

• Like 1

My step son is 16 in December and wants to join the RAF, he seems FAR FAR too young to me. But I guess that is the step mum part of me speaking. Although he will be doing A levels first anyway so he wouldn't be 16 at joining. I guess to parents our kids will always seem too young for that kind of thing. Having said that, I do know some other parents who have had kids join at 16 and have said it was amazing watching how the kids grew and changed in to adults, so much faster than their friends who went on to college or uni.

My step son is 16 in December and wants to join the RAF, he seems FAR FAR too young to me. But I guess that is the step mum part of me speaking. Although he will be doing A levels first anyway so he wouldn't be 16 at joining. I guess to parents our kids will always seem too young for that kind of thing. Having said that, I do know some other parents who have had kids join at 16 and have said it was amazing watching how the kids grew and changed in to adults, so much faster than their friends who went on to college or uni.

I know what you mean.. I see the bodies of our fallen being flown home and most look like babies.

I guess this will make it difficult for me to get my National Concription bill through Parliament when I become PM?

arrow3.gifView: Read more

I think we should test kids at the age of 14 and if its unlikey they will get at least 5 GCSEs at grade C ship them off to the army. They should stay in until 21 and be taught discipline, team working skills and a trade.

If war happens they should be used first to reduce their numbers. This would counteract the bottom end of society breeding like rabbits and lowering the average national IQ level.

• Like 1

I think we should test kids at the age of 14 and if its unlikey they will get at least 5 GCSEs at grade C ship them off to the army. They should stay in until 21 and be taught discipline, team working skills and a trade.

If war happens they should be used first to reduce their numbers. This would counteract the bottom end of society breeding like rabbits and lowering the average national IQ level.

You are joking right?

• Like 2

Fodder.. Loved that post for all the wrong reasons.... going to have to make you Deputy PM when I am in No10..

Edited to Add for all the wrong reasons

Edited by xsas
  • Like 1

Stupid Editorial!!

The Army , Air Force, and RN give the best training available, and some of the very few organisations that give credibility to offering an Apprenticeship (very rare in the UK). The quality of education and training are second to none. None of these 16 yr olds will be sent into Combat Situations but will learn Mechanics, Electronics, IT, Strategy etc etc.

In short, they will have a career ahead of them whether inside or outside of the Armed Forces: that is their choice when they turn 18Yrs of age.

• Like 2

Fodder.. Loved that post for all the wrong reasons.... going to have to make you Deputy PM when I am in No10..

Edited to Add for all the wrong reasons

Thanks, let me know where to send my cv

Stupid Editorial!!

The Army , Air Force, and RN give the best training available, and some of the very few organisations that give credibility to offering an Apprenticeship (very rare in the UK). The quality of education and training are second to none. None of these 16 yr olds will be sent into Combat Situations but will learn Mechanics, Electronics, IT, Strategy etc etc.

In short, they will have a career ahead of them whether inside or outside of the Armed Forces: that is their choice when they turn 18Yrs of age.

valid points made throughout, especially the part in bold. - one of our greats Horatio Nelson joined the Royal Navy at the age of 13.