Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snakes hold no sting for Indian mountain man bitte

vampgirl

NEW DELHI (AFP) - A 92-year-old man living in a Himalayan village in India has survived 272 snake bites by following a simple tip -- never eat salt.

Amar Singh, whose home is deep in the remote Narag valley in India's mountainous Himachal Pradesh state, loves the creatures and despite being bitten never hits or kills them, the United News of India said Monday.

Instead, he picks up the hissing snakes and deposits them in their jungle homes. Singh received his survival tip more than 50 years ago from a traditional healer of snake bites, the report said.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Britannica

• Talon

• moe eubleck

• vampgirl

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate snakes, they scare the crap out of me.

It's one of the reasons I like living in the UK, the land of bland harmless wildlife grin2.gif

It's one of the reasons I like living in the UK, the land of bland harmless wildlife

2 words: Scottish Adder tongue.gif

user posted image

But they tend to flee humans on site thumbsup.gif

Edited by Talon S.

Tis a sad state when snake handlers credit good luck to a low sodium diet.

2 words: Scottish Adder tongue.gif

RUN AND HIDE!!!! scared.gif

Why couldn't you just let me think I was safe? crying.gif

But (*clinging desperately to own sanity*) they are called SCOTTISH adders so they wouldn't venture as far south as ohh...Devon, would they??? wacko.gif

Why couldn't you just let me think I was safe? 

But (*clinging desperately to own sanity*) they are called SCOTTISH adders so they wouldn't venture as far south as ohh...Devon, would they??? 

England and Wales have them too, we share a border remember tongue.gif but the highest numbers remain in the Highlands. They are really only found in marsh lands or areas with lost of bolders to hunt in. Don't worry, their poison can only kill children, after 10 you would just get really sick if bitten. And they wouldn't bite unless provoked, prefering to flee if they meet anything bigger than a rat.

We also have a breeding population of large cats such as panthors after the 1970s introduced laws which restricted who could have them. May large cats were released into the wild rather than being turned into zoos, and its now widly accepted large cat populations do exist in the UK. But they mainly go after cattle and sheep, nobody has been killed yet.

They also resently reintroduced the wolf back into the wild in Scotland after 300 years of extinction in the UK. Again, we share a border so given time they may get into England. But don't worry, to date no adult has been reported killed by a wolf, we're just not their prefered prey (at least I'm pretty sure attacks on humans are just stories huh.gif )

Don't worry, the UK is still safe compared most other places, grin2.gif I mean, when was the last time anyone died of 'wild animal attack' in the Uk barring the odd being it by a charging deer.

Edited by Talon S.

OK, I think I can deal with the wolves and the big cats, they actually sound quite interesting original.gif

There's just something about snakes I can't stomach...probably some backwards cavewoman instinct I haven't shaken off yet... whistling2.gif

Anyway, thanks for the info, interesting that Scotland's wildlife is a bit...wilder than the rest of the UK's thumbsup.gif

Anyway, thanks for the info, interesting that Scotland's wildlife is a bit...wilder than the rest of the UK's 

Actually most big cat sightings are in in England huh.gif

user posted image

The snakes we share ... so really its just the wolf we have extra.

But if you want scary, in 1961 I think is was, a Great White Shark swam up the Clyde. I think it was one of the, if not thee, most northern siting of one. grin2.gif

Britannica, where abouts in Devon do you live?

I used to live in Torbay, until i moved to canada. Ooooh do i miss it.

we dont have snakes in hawaii tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif people cant even have them for pets! they are one of the most illigal things here!!!!!

i was once bitten by a timber ratteler (yes its a type of rattlesnake), and my mother wouldnt bring me to the docter, she just had to do it herself, so for the rest of my life i cant feel the lower half of my fingers. i dont know what did it, but the venom must have damaged soem nerves or something. what sort or snake was it that the man obcesses about?

we dont have snakes in hawaii

yes but we do have devilishly large pure evil straight from hell insects

user posted image

actual size shown

...oh GAWD no !!!

Edited by moe eubleck

I love snakes! I have a grey banded kingsnake.

i dont know what did it, but the venom must have damaged soem nerves or something

Pit viper (which is the group in which rattlesnakes are in) venom contains an enzyme that digests the walls of blood vessels, leading to internal hemorrhaging, and a natural anticoagulant that prevents blood clotting.

Britannica, where abouts in Devon do you live?

North Devon - Bideford, although I dont expect you to have much knowledge of it - teeny town that it is. original.gif

You dont really miss Devon do you? huh.gif