Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Jodi Arias Trial


  • Please log in to reply
840 replies to this topic

#796    regi

regi

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,714 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Mistrial has been called in the penalty phase, as jurors were unable to reach a unanimous decision.

There will be a retrial for the penalty phase beginning July 18th.


#797    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,509 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

This case! Been away from UM but still following this, especially after I found a live feed that worked here in the UK.

So the penalty phase has to be done again with new jurors. Either way I wish they could have come to a decision, stop this rumbling on for even longer. My heart goes out to the Alexander family, it really does.

Posted Image

#798    Aaronsmom

Aaronsmom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

I admit being a little surprised as to the hung jury on the DP, but to me this is an example of what's wrong having the DP. If the public, and DA offices, could get over being so blood-lusting about the DP, this kind of waste wouldn't happen. The jury decides the verdict and the judge sentences according to state statutes and her discretion as a seasoned professional of the CJ system. DP is off the table, so no further need for the jury--either natural life or possibility of parole after 25 yrs (or whatever it is). This DP deliberation is such an extravagant and needless use of the taxpayers' money. But the other part of this I see as ridiculous is why does the court need a unanimous decision by the jury for life in prison? I see it with the DP--we don't want to put people to death if the whole jury isn't in agreement. But why can't the procedure be, if the jury can't be unanimous about the DP, then instead of retrial (of the penalty phase), it hands off to the judge for sentencing?  The idea of getting a whole new jury to hear the arguments for life or death again is ludicrous IMO. So extreme!

Anyway, I saw this somewhere some years ago that stats show when cases are retried, the advantage goes overwhelmingly to the Prosecution, not the Defense. I really don't like the message that this retrial sends the new jurors: it's like a not-so-subtle pressure to choose the DP. Why is killing someone--even a waste of human life like JA--so high a priority in society? So high we devote so many resources to achieving it?


#799    docyabut2

docyabut2

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,134 posts
  • Joined:12 Aug 2011

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

Well they said one women jurer was crying and said to the Alexander family she was sorry, another women jurer was wringing her hands and crying, so I guessing they were some of the few that thought Jodi was a victum of some kind of abuse, and just could`nt give her the DP.


Well this just in, there were eight for the DP and four were against,since there were eight men and four women, I guessing it was the women that were against giving Jodi the DP.

Edited by docyabut2, 24 May 2013 - 02:57 AM.


#800    Aaronsmom

Aaronsmom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

Wow, thanks for the update docy. I had not heard that. While it is not certain the votes broke down along gender lines, still it's a good theory, and is interesting if it was true. Would it be that the women jurors gave some weight to the Defense's claim of abuse and sexual exploitation, just enough to mitigate a teensy bit in the penalty phase? Would a male juror view the murder and the sheer brutality of it as beyond the pale of allowing for mercy? It's quite possible we will get more specifics. Most of the time, juries in these high profile cases give interviews eventually.


#801    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,192 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 24 May 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

Well they said one women jurer was crying and said to the Alexander family she was sorry, another women jurer was wringing her hands and crying, so I guessing they were some of the few that thought Jodi was a victum of some kind of abuse, and just could`nt give her the DP.


Well this just in, there were eight for the DP and four were against,since there were eight men and four women, I guessing it was the women that were against giving Jodi the DP.
Probably not a very good idea.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#802    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,509 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostAaronsmom, on 24 May 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

Anyway, I saw this somewhere some years ago that stats show when cases are retried, the advantage goes overwhelmingly to the Prosecution, not the Defense. I really don't like the message that this retrial sends the new jurors: it's like a not-so-subtle pressure to choose the DP. Why is killing someone--even a waste of human life like JA--so high a priority in society? So high we devote so many resources to achieving it?
I agree, I've heard multiple times on the various coverage of the trial that with the trial being so drawn out, and Arias' 18 days of her own testimony, that the jury have got to know her as a human being too well for them to decide to give her the death penalty. A new jury won't have that at all. They'll be coming into this knowing she has been convicted of 1st degree murder (and that it was cruel?) AND they will probably have seen all the interviews she's done with news outlets when she thought the jury wouldn't hear. They'll have seen how cold she is in those interviews.

Posted Image

#803    docyabut2

docyabut2

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,134 posts
  • Joined:12 Aug 2011

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

A whole new retrial and jury July 18.I see a problem here how will the defence find 12 jurers who are not bias by all the media coverage, they will claim it would`nt be a fair trial.Some how I think Martinez  the proscuter who does like to lose wants to go forward to win the DP. But I think he`ll leave it up to Alexander family that has to suffer all through it again to decide to settle for a plea bargain or go foward.


#804    blueberrycakes

blueberrycakes

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined:14 May 2013

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

She was not a victim of abuse. Travis made it clear to her that their relationship was purely sexual, therefore she knew what she was getting into.


#805    blueberrycakes

blueberrycakes

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined:14 May 2013

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostAaronsmom, on 24 May 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

I admit being a little surprised as to the hung jury on the DP, but to me this is an example of what's wrong having the DP. If the public, and DA offices, could get over being so blood-lusting about the DP, this kind of waste wouldn't happen. The jury decides the verdict and the judge sentences according to state statutes and her discretion as a seasoned professional of the CJ system. DP is off the table, so no further need for the jury--either natural life or possibility of parole after 25 yrs (or whatever it is). This DP deliberation is such an extravagant and needless use of the taxpayers' money. But the other part of this I see as ridiculous is why does the court need a unanimous decision by the jury for life in prison? I see it with the DP--we don't want to put people to death if the whole jury isn't in agreement. But why can't the procedure be, if the jury can't be unanimous about the DP, then instead of retrial (of the penalty phase), it hands off to the judge for sentencing?  The idea of getting a whole new jury to hear the arguments for life or death again is ludicrous IMO. So extreme!

Anyway, I saw this somewhere some years ago that stats show when cases are retried, the advantage goes overwhelmingly to the Prosecution, not the Defense. I really don't like the message that this retrial sends the new jurors: it's like a not-so-subtle pressure to choose the DP. Why is killing someone--even a waste of human life like JA--so high a priority in society? So high we devote so many resources to achieving it?


I agree 100% with your post. She's going to suffer by spending the rest of her life in prison anyway. And due to the strict confinement she might even commit suicide. Just give her LWOP and call it a day


#806    Gummug

Gummug

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,375 posts
  • Joined:14 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 May 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

To me, it sounds like you are sucked in more than most. I know what is happening in the trial, but not the details and not to the point where I watch news shows about it. That's the great thing about the TV remote.
Sorry Myles, maybe I missed something but I just thought Yamato was being sarcastic there.

Posted Image


#807    docyabut2

docyabut2

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,134 posts
  • Joined:12 Aug 2011

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

View Postblueberrycakes, on 24 May 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

She was not a victim of abuse. Travis made it clear to her that their relationship was purely sexual, therefore she knew what she was getting into.

Right like even the foremen of jury had said they did believe Jodi was a victum of mental and verbal abuse. Kind of  reminds of how these priests abuse children, Jodi seens is so child like, he baptizes her into his religion and then right after turns around and stick into her !***% like most victums of this abuse thinks it their way of  their love. Jodi is not like a seril  killer that should get the DP that kill for fun.Travis did used and abused  her.

Edited by docyabut2, 25 May 2013 - 04:35 AM.


#808    Aaronsmom

Aaronsmom

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2011
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Just to clarify a point, the entire trial won't be retried, just the penalty phase. Someone on HLN said they will bring the new jury up to speed on the trial--the entire transcript of the trial will probably be read aloud to jurors. That will take a long time--probably a few weeks, but not all the months the first jury sat through. Yikes! What a job!

The same expert said they will no doubt move to change venue, so will probably go to a region of Ariz that's about as far from Phoenix as they can go and stay within the state. He talked about the population of another county being in the hundreds of thousands and not every last one followed the trial or its coverage. He said they may have to go through hundreds or thousands of jury pool, but they ought to be able to find 18 people (12 jurors, 6 alts) who don't watch HLN or any news programs, and don't read papers.

I agree with the poster who said new jurors won't form the same emotional connection with Arias that the original, even if only on a subliminal level. Having a transcript read aloud to them will be much more clinical and detached than sitting through the whole trial. They won't see or hear the sobbing. They will go into deliberation with the message in the back of their minds saying, "the State wants to put this killer to death. The first jury failed in their duties. We are counting on all of you to correct the error and do the right thing for your state. Come back with a unanimous vote for the DP!" And I think they will.


#809    blueberrycakes

blueberrycakes

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined:14 May 2013

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 25 May 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

Right like even the foremen of jury had said they did believe Jodi was a victum of mental and verbal abuse. Kind of  reminds of how these priests abuse children, Jodi seens is so child like, he baptizes her into his religion and then right after turns around and stick into her !***% like most victums of this abuse thinks it their way of  their love. Jodi is not like a seril  killer that should get the DP that kill for fun.Travis did used and abused  her.
Jodi was a fully adult woman (late 20s) when she engaged in sexual acts with Travis.  She was old enough to consent. After they broke up, Travis made it clear that he just wanted a sexual relationship and she agreed to it. I don't see her a as a victim but a willing participant. If she didn't wanted to be used then she should have moved on to someone else who wanted a committed relationship with her.

Edited by blueberrycakes, 25 May 2013 - 02:36 PM.


#810    regi

regi

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,714 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Arizona's position is that cold-blooded murderers (in other words, those who commit 'premeditated, especially cruel' murders) should be put to death, but regardless, what they need from a jury is a unanimous decision re: life or death, and they didn't get it.

Edited by regi, 25 May 2013 - 04:00 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users