Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

World's First Solar Powered Plane

solar powered plane moffett field bertrand piccard andre borschberg

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 41,846 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

On May 1, the world’s first solar-powered plane will take off from Moffett Field in Mountain View, California — the home of NASA’s Ames Research Center – and fly across the US to New York. Even though the Solar Impulse plane could probably fly non-stop, day and night with no fuel, instead it will make several stops in US cities such as Phoenix, Dallas, and Washington, D.C. This would be a kind of “get to know you” tour for the US while the founders of Solar Impulse, Swiss pilot Bertrand Piccard and and pilot Andre Borschberg, want to spread their message of sustainability and technology.

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,844 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Solar powered plane, look how much fuel that would save.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,852 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I am well aware that solar planes - or solar anything - do not need constant, direct sunlight in order to operate, but it is amusing to imagine a flight path from CA to NY that meanders the country avoiding all of the clouds. LOL

I hope something like this is put to good use and we see more of them available.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#4    Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostHilander, on 02 April 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Solar powered plane, look how much fuel that would save.

Not that much, because not everyone will jump at the plane when its sucessfull. atleast not for another 10-30 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users