Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery of Moon's Surface Gravity Solved

moon gravity mascons grail nasa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

NASA's GRAIL Mission Solves Mystery of Moon's Surface Gravity

www.nasa.gov said:

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory (GRAIL) mission has uncovered the origin of massive invisible regions that make the moon's gravity uneven, a phenomenon that affects the operations of lunar-orbiting spacecraft.

Because of GRAIL's findings, spacecraft on missions to other celestial bodies can navigate with greater precision in the future.

GRAIL's twin spacecraft studied the internal structure and composition of the moon in unprecedented detail for nine months. They pinpointed the locations of large, dense regions called mass concentrations, or mascons, which are characterized by strong gravitational pull. Mascons lurk beneath the lunar surface and cannot be seen by normal optical cameras.      

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

suppose it's like mountains on earth really, most people don't realise they have their own gravitational attraction.
I don't mean like they're dragging the fork out of your hand while you're trying to eat your tin of beans & sausages, but it IS there, and if I remember rightly (?) didn't someone use a mountain to fine-tune the figure (or maybe confirm?) for the strength of gravity?
(ps, that's ANOTHER fine acronym NASA's got there! who comes up with these things?? do they have a special little guy in a back room somewhere that thinks of them all?!
nice work if you can get it I suppose....)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

View Postshrooma, on 31 May 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

didn't someone use a mountain to fine-tune the figure (or maybe confirm?) for the strength of gravity?

I think you are getting confused with the fact that the further away from the centre of the Earth you go to the lower the gravitational attraction. Hence if you weigh an object at sea level and then again at the top of Everest you will get a lower result at the top of the mountain. This has nothing to do with the gravitational attraction of the mountain itself.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,570 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

this is what I had in mind waspie-
http://www.physics.o...sp?page=bigghis
(which also has a little piece on the great (unknown!) john mitchell, who's house is at the back of mine!)
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postshrooma, on 31 May 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

this is what I had in mind waspie-

Interesting. I didn't know of that experiment. Thanks shrooma.

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,383 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

This should be a great aid to all the future missions being planned in the coming century.

Edited by Merc14, 01 June 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#7    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

The thread title is misleading as GRAVITY itself hasn't been "solved". The pictures are the same as I've seen years ago. Why no information on the possible inner core??

Edited by RingFenceTheCity, 01 June 2013 - 06:54 PM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#8    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,787 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

Gee ?  Or as its put  "G" Gravity such a fickle thing we know only a bit about it ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#9    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

pretty interesting though....  gravity may not have been  'solved' .. but it apparently has something to do with mass?   I wonder if the question is.. what is it specifically about mass  that causes attraction?     Maybe that is understood?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#10    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

View Postlightly, on 02 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

pretty interesting though....  gravity may not have been  'solved' .. but it apparently has something to do with mass?   I wonder if the question is.. what is it specifically about mass  that causes attraction?     Maybe that is understood?
Err, no, that isn't understood at all. There's no official mechanism for gravity due to the accepted theory being based on 400 year old non-sensical mathematical speculation.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#11    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

gravity is it really the strongest force there is i think not

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostLex540, on 05 June 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

gravity is it really the strongest force there is i think not
Actually of the 4 forces of the standard theory, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear and gravity, gravity is the weakest.

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostRingFenceTheCity, on 01 June 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

The thread title is misleading as GRAVITY itself hasn't been "solved".

No one said it had. The title specifically refers to SURFACE gravity.

The surface gravity, g, of an astronomical or other object is the gravitational acceleration experienced at its surface. The surface gravity may be thought of as the acceleration due to gravity experienced by a hypothetical test particle which is very close to the object's surface and which, in order not to disturb the system, has negligible mass.
Source: wikipedia

The title is accurate, it's your understanding of it that doesn't seem to be.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 05 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with moon, gravity, mascons, grail, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users