Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge Everglades Python Shows Invasive Issue

Anomalocaris

A giant python — about as long as a shipping container — that was captured in Everglades National Park in Florida earlier this month has now been euthanized, authorities say. The accidental finding of this snake shows how easily even huge pythons can remain hidden in Florida's swampy south, experts say.

Snake in the Grass! Huge Everglades Python Shows Invasive Issue

that's a good size snake and would have been better served if kept alive in some exhibit ~ such a shame ... large snakes aren't really that common

~

I think that snakes in exhibits may have contributed to the problem of invasive species, 3rd_eye.

Maybe the laws regarding ownership of pets should limit that ownership to only native species - in the case of non-domesticated animals, that is.

• Like 1

I think that snakes in exhibits may have contributed to the problem of invasive species, 3rd_eye.

Maybe the laws regarding ownership of pets should limit that ownership to only native species - in the case of non-domesticated animals, that is.

I understand the situation regarding the possible threat of decimating some of the native species by this invasive specie (here I'd like to add that the effects are now thought to be not as serious as was first suspected, these pythons aren't as insatiable a predator as was feared, the weather is keeping their feeding cycle low due to the cold and many don't survive the cold spells, also baby snakes is preyed upon by many bird species along with some mammals, crocs, alligators and native snakes )

just in this particular case and with this particular specimen it seems to me perhaps keeping it alive might have served a better purpose for both Science and the public ... a snake that size is pretty rare subject for study and is a sight to behold.

~

• Like 1