Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How little money can a person live on?

Commander CMG

There's been weeks of debate over how much money benefits claimants should receive. But just how little money can someone realistically get by on?

The government says no family on benefits should receive more than the £26,000 - after tax - the average family earns.

A benefits cap estimated at £350 a week for a single adult and £500 a week for a couple or single parent - regardless of how many children they have - is being piloted in four areas of London. From July it will be rolled out across England, Scotland and Wales.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

It all depends on where you live and how you live.

Living in the town is always going to cost a lot more, what with council tax and all the other charges the government enforce. My cost of living is very low, I do not claim benefits and use solar power, logs burners, have free internet and my husband works online. We do not want the luxuries of 5 t.v`s, American fridge freezers and t.v licenses.

YAY let's crucify the poor and unemployed.

I got a really "out there idea" why don't we discuss how much members of the government get in pay and benefits and see how much they could live on and give them the appropriate wage and tax. Also while we are at it, we can discuss their offshore bank accounts and how much tax they dodge.

• Like 4

YAY let's crucify the poor and unemployed.

I got a really "out there idea" why don't we discuss how much members of the government get in pay and benefits and see how much they could live on and give them the appropriate wage and tax. Also while we are at it, we can discuss their offshore bank accounts and how much tax they dodge.

Do you mean things like this: MP Jim McGovern's battle to put £24 train fare on expenses lands taxpayers with £27,000 legal bill

• Like 2

Haha, that's ridicules. I don't know why we let them get away with this sort of ***. He should be fined for the 27k.

Edited by Coffey

There is something basically wrong with the idea of a government giving people money to live on. It distorts the politics of a country, tends to create a class of dependent people, messes all hell with the labor structure and economy, and raises the tax burden.

Yet what are you gonna do?

Benefits is pittance. I wonder why the government don't discuss the wealthy pensioners getting money thrown at them that they don't need.Or the fatcats that have obscene wages.

Or the scrounging royals? Oh I didn't think so. There to busy picking on the poor, disabled and youth

• Like 3

There is something basically wrong with the idea of a government giving people money to live on. It distorts the politics of a country, tends to create a class of dependent people, messes all hell with the labor structure and economy, and raises the tax burden.

Yet what are you gonna do?

You do know most people (like myself) who are claiming their benefits are not being given money, they are claiming back what they have paid in National Insurance Contributions over many years.

I'm getting sick and tired of this view that I am getting something for nothing, when in my case the reality is completely different. From the age of 16 up until March of this year I have been in constant employment. That's 11 years worth on NI Contributions that i have accrued. Contributions I have never claimed for.

Now, for the first time in my life I'm out of work, and I am well within my rights to claim a bit of that money back to help me whilst i find another job.

Not everyone is a ******* scrounger!!

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 7

You do know most people (like myself) who are claiming their benefits are not being given money, they are claiming back what they have paid in National Insurance Contributions over many years.

I'm getting sick and tired of this view that I am getting something for nothing, when in my case the reality is completely different. From the age of 16 up until March of this year I have been in constant employment. That's 11 years worth on NI Contributions that i have accrued. Contributions I have never claimed for.

Now, for the first time in my life I'm out of work, and I am well within my rights to claim a bit of that money back to help me whilst i find another job.

This is what riles me, there are many in your situation and everyone claiming seems to be placed in the same category. If you have worked and paid into the system then darn right you are entitled to claim in times of need.

It is heartbreaking when people you know lose their jobs and even worse when they are made to look like scroungers because they want some of the money they have paid over the years back to help them.

Our governments use our money to pay for themselves and their luxuries and for others who have never paid into the system, let alone the aid they send abroad, and yet when a real worker and genuine person has fallen on hard times, they are made to look like the scrounger!

I wish you well and it would please me to know that my hard earned tax money along with yours will help you at this time.

This is what riles me, there are many in your situation and everyone claiming seems to be placed in the same category. If you have worked and paid into the system then darn right you are entitled to claim in times of need.

It is heartbreaking when people you know lose their jobs and even worse when they are made to look like scroungers because they want some of the money they have paid over the years back to help them.

Our governments use our money to pay for themselves and their luxuries and for others who have never paid into the system, let alone the aid they send abroad, and yet when a real worker and genuine person has fallen on hard times, they are made to look like the scrounger!

I wish you well and it would please me to know that my hard earned tax money along with yours will help you at this time.

Thank you kindly.

It's horrible being unemployed, there is absolutely nothing positive about it. In a paradoxical way I can't get negative about it though, there are jobs out there and there's no reason why I can't do the majority of them.

• Like 1

Thank you kindly.

It's horrible being unemployed, there is absolutely nothing positive about it. In a paradoxical way I can't get negative about it though, there are jobs out there and there's no reason why I can't do the majority of them.

I so wish you the best, but something tells me your determination will get you through. My husband lost his trucking business a few years back, it could have broken him mentally but we looked at the situation and in the end set up an online business which is now doing well, he took whatever lorry job he could at first to build up funds and never saw it as a step down, it was a step towards the next step, it worked.

You got too much going for you not to find something, the lucky employer will find you one day.

I think when people discuss benefits its not the deserving like yourself who has worked and paid into the system. its the scroungers out their who have never worked and have no intention of working. but like i've said in your case the benefits system is working as it should, as intended.

the argument is there should be no lifestyle choice to make when it comes to claiming benefits for decades. no one can defend anyone who is able to work and has not done for an extended period of time. The Government because the issue is so politically hot, they cannot target the long term useless without collateral damage.

Q. How do you make a small fortune?

A. Start with a big fortune and run a farm!

arrow3.gifView: Read more

I think the money that a family can live on is fairly minimal, if they had to.

I claim benefits as well and it's horrible.I hardly have enough money to even eat.

I just can't stand it when you get these idiots who say were all scroungers!

If you look for work and apply for jobs like I do every day your not a scrounger.

It's just very difficult to find a job,especially if you live in a crap hole like me!

As i've said before in my earlier post, the gov should go after the scrounging royals. living of our money. They should also go after the fat cats with their inflated wages. And the super wealthy pensioners who don't need winter fuel allowance, like Peter Stringfellow!