Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysteries Fires in Canneto di Caronia

EllJay

A thread here on the forum on Spontaneous Human Combustion made me think of another case of spontaneous fires and extraordinary incidents which was The Mysteries Fires in Canneto di Caronia. There was of course the usual `the-devil-did-it´ from the religious flank. Some find that a bit irritating, but equally irritating was the sub par bullsh** debunking and dismissal from all kinds of debunking skeptics. The fact remains they don't know f--* all of what happened there and what caused it. It still stands out as one of the most profound and mysteries cases ever, and to brush it of as "some sort of static electric charges" as some do to explain all the happenings there just don't cut it. So most "pro"-debunkers who arrogantly try to dismiss or debunk things just like to slide pass this case and ignore it.

What is amazing is that case like this with tangible evidence doesn't attract more investigations. I think it might be that scientists rarely like to take on a case that might lead them in directions they are not comfortable with, or have to reach conclusions that totally contradict their biased ideologies.

It's like the Hessdalen phenomenon, they dont want to "peek behind the curtain".

Sure, there are investigations done in Hessdalen but the amount of interest and resources one would think should go in to such an phenomenon is almost non-existing.

In January 2004, something very strange was happening to Canneto di Caronia, a small town located in Sicily, Italy.

Appliances, starting with a television and evidently including a cooker and vacuum cleaner, were reported to catch fire spontaneously. Fires also struck wedding presents and a piece of furniture, the type of which is unknown. One article also claimed that a water pipe caught fire, though this report seems dubious.

At least one person, either a police officer or, according to one report, a scientist, was said to have observed an unplugged electrical cable ignite while he was directly observing it. ENEL, the Italian power utility, cut off the town's power supply, but the outbreaks continued.

The authorities ruled out arson fairly early.

English news articles were mixed as to the reaction of the villagers: most pegged them as blaming demonic forces, while some others cast them as blaming the railroad or other man-made agencies. A Catholic exorcist, Gabriele Amorth, suggested that the causes are supernatural; others, such as (according to some sources) the mayor, Pedro Spinnato, assume a natural cause.

Authorities seemed to agree that some sort of electrical anomaly was responsible, and many experts traveled to Caronia to investigate. A few people have blamed volcanic oddities, others speculate that someone was intentionally creating an electrical phenomenon for nefarious ends, possibly including a con on the villagers, with a Tesla-type Magnifying Transmitter or similar device. (Although this raises the question of why the villagers have not heard the thunderous noise produced by it, unless it is very well hidden indeed, and the fact that no attempt at extortion has yet been reported seems odd.) Many aspects of the case were typical of poltergeist phenomena

On April 29th, 2005 the Italian government charged the region of Sicily to create a Task Force (composed among the others by high-ranking army officers, engineers, architects, geologists and physicists) in order to both investigate and monitor the situation in Canneto di Caronia, a very small village located in Sicily, 39 inhabitants whom experienced a long series of extremely strange phenomena: so far, the task force has NO CLUE what is going on there since January 2004: or, better, they know what’s going on but they don’t know why. What follows is the official truth (not to mention, of course, what the speculations are): the task force is the only group of study which had the opportunity to work on all the documentation available, so the independent analysis are based on incomplete data.

Here's a quick list of the unexplained phenomena occurred so far in Canneto di Caronia: all stuff witnessed, reported, observed, caught on camera etc..

TV, refrigerators, washing machines, mixers etc. that switch on by themselves.

Cell phones charging their batteries spontaneously, even when unplugged.

Boats, Cables, beds, sofas, chairs, cookers, vacuum cleaner, TV, refrigerators, washing machines, cables catching fire spontaneously, even when unplugged.

Air conditioners literally melting spontaneously

Car glasses imploding

Car glasses found with small, perfectly rounded holes, as being hit by some invisible bullets

Aubergines coloured like rainbows

Plants burst into flames selectively, on a squared area

Unexplained magnetic fields peaks detected

Pen drives getting erased spontaneously

Compasses … loosing their orientation

Automatic gates opening and closing randomly

Car alarms ringing with no reason, and randomly

Mysterious death of animals, both from ground and sea

…and the list continues, up to fill in a database containing 350 records about cases documented / witnessed / reported / caught on camera by common people, military, journalists, policemen etc.. 

Just to have an idea about the situation, you may want to know that the inhabitants (39 people) were evacuated for three months. And the phenomena continue, until today: even after ENEL, the Italian power utility, cut off the town's power supply the outbreaks continued.

On April 29th, 2005 the Italian government charged the region of Sicily to create a Task Force (composed among the others by high-ranking army officers, engineers, architects, geologists and physicists) in order to both investigate and monitor the situation in Canneto di Caronia, a very small village located in Sicily, 39 inhabitants whom experienced a long series of extremely strange phenomena: so far, the task force has NO CLUE what is going on there since January 2004: or, better, they know what’s going on but they don’t know why. What follows is the official truth (not to mention, of course, what the speculations are): the task force is the only group of study which had the opportunity to work on all the documentation available, so the independent analysis are based on incomplete data.

What the task force did:

Aerial Photo-Remote Sensing campaign by Aeronautica Militare

Physical, Geo-Physical and Geo-Chemical data assessment campaign by National Geophysics and Volcanology institute

Oceanographic campaign by the boat "Galatea" from Water institute of Marina Militare on a wide sea area, in front of the coast of Canneto (magnetometry, Physical and Chemical parameters, sedimentology)

Detection and measurement campaign made with Geo radar

Magnetometric and Electro-magnetic fields detection and monitoring campaign by Marina Militare

Radio-electric spectrum monitoring campaign by the Ministry of Telecommunications and by the Regional Agency for the protection of the Environment - Sicily

Measurements of the environmental and meteo climatics parameters by Regional Meteo-Agricultural Institute - Sicily

Mapping of all the devices involved within the radio electric spectrum within a range of several Kilometres from Canneto, by Ministry of Telecommunications

Aerial detection, mapping and measurements of the total intensity of the ground magnetic field by National Geophysics and Volcanology institute on a wide area of side between Ustica e le and Aeolian Islands

The cause remains unknown.

Sources:

http://www.ingv.it/u...neto-di-caronia

http://www.ilgiornal...gli-alieni.html

http://palermo.repub...-2-anni/1507851

http://www.hwh22.it/.../caronia00.html

http://www.corriere....44f02aabc.shtml

http://archivio.ambi...za3428-2005.htm

http://espresso.repu...ciliano/1845007

http://espresso.repu...iano/1845007//1

http://www.telegraph...-officials.html

http://www.theregist...eto_di_caronia/

http://everything2.c...neto Di Caronia

https://docs.google....8bLTqa1xv7TFsrQ

The Fires in Canneto di Caronia is an exceptional incident and has strangely enough (or not so strangely) been ignored worldwide.

Canneto di Caronia Journal - Electricity Goes Wild. Did the Devil Make It Do It? - NYTimes.com

Canneto di Caronia Journal; Electricity Goes Wild. Did the Devil Make It Do It? - Page 2 - New York Times

http://espresso.repu...ciliano/1845007

http://espresso.repu...iano/1845007//1

Edited by Saru
Added source links
  • Like 3

I read about this a couple of years ago and it's one of my favorite mysteries. I'm surprised the story is not more well-known.

Interesting. I had not heard of this incident. Too bad the NYT article seems to be a dead link. I would have enjoyed reading their interpretation of events.

As to what happened, who knows. It does truly appear to be an unexplained mystery. That happens on occasion in this world.

But just because it's unexplained does not mean I'm ready to start jumping to conclusions like UFOs, demons, or ghosts. Lack of evidence for rational explanations does not mean evidence for non-rational ones.

By the way, in looking up info on this incident, I came across a post on the Skeptiko podcast forum from a guy named Pollux that is pretty much word for word what you posted above. Are you one in the same person?

Oh yeah, one more thing, I find it interesting that you claim this incident has been "ignored worldwide" and yet four of your six links are from the New York Times and L'Espresso - two of the most prominent publications in the Western World.

Edited by Rafterman

I heard of a desert in Mexico where everything loses power and signal. This stuff reminds me of that. Perhaps the magnetic fields are out unbalanced there? No idea, but it sounds like a real life nightmare. Hope it works out for those people.

Maybe linked to the sponteaneous fire on the 787 parked at Heathrow and mystery plane crashes in general. There's a lot of them. More than people know about.

Edited by NatureBoff

Maybe linked to the sponteaneous fire on the 787 parked at Heathrow and mystery plane crashes in general. There's a lot of them. More than people know about.

Spontaneous as in the fire was caused by pinched wires on an incorrectly installed battery?

787 fire investigation looks at pinched battery wiring

Investigators believe the July 12 fire on a 787 Dreamliner at Heathrow was likely caused by incorrect installation of a battery that pinched some wires and caused a short circuit.

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021456975_787firesourcexml.html

Interesting. I had not heard of this incident. Too bad the NYT article seems to be a dead link. I would have enjoyed reading their interpretation of events.

As to what happened, who knows. It does truly appear to be an unexplained mystery. That happens on occasion in this world.

But just because it's unexplained does not mean I'm ready to start jumping to conclusions like UFOs, demons, or ghosts. Lack of evidence for rational explanations does not mean evidence for non-rational ones.

By the way, in looking up info on this incident, I came across a post on the Skeptiko podcast forum from a guy named Pollux that is pretty much word for word what you posted above. Are you one in the same person?

Oh yeah, one more thing, I find it interesting that you claim this incident has been "ignored worldwide" and yet four of your six links are from the New York Times and L'Espresso - two of the most prominent publications in the Western World.

Yep that's correct. Also is, that what happened there goes against many things we state as facts from a "rational"-world kind of thinking. Acknowledging that and work out of that premise to get, if not an answer, at least some insight and realising that things like this could happen and are not brain-farts and hallucinations. We don't get a lot smarter by saying just that UFO´s, demons or ghosts did this, but also not get smarter by saying; "it was an unexplained mystery, that happens" and call it a day. Instead, take it on unbiased, and work with what we got and leave room for speculation and pattern-finding to try to brocading the field of vision and not close the door to something just because one might have a preconceived notion of how things "ought" to be. Things that happened there are up to par with other reported poltergeist phenomenon that usually are just brushed away. This case was on a pretty big scale. Leaving it at; "it was an unexplained mystery, that happens" is a cop-out

What I meant by weak response from around the world I didn't mean that it wasn't in the paper. It would be pretty messed up if it wasn't, considering what actually happened there. But the response wasn't on the scale one would expect, and that people were not more curious to what was going on there and determined to find out the cause, come hell or high water. It was a pretty big *****n deal if you ask me. The Italians tried to do some investigation into it but it was pretty lame considering the resources we have and the implications of the event.

PS: BTW, the links to NY-times works OK for me, but I can paste in what they wrote if you cant access it for some other reasons. I do it in my next post.

Edited by EllJay

The NY-times article that some people have a hard time connecting to:

Canneto di Caronia Journal; Electricity Goes Wild. Did the Devil Make It Do It?

There are many ways for evil to arrive but perhaps only one way to get rid of it: exorcism. That about sums up the collective psyche of this stone-filled village perched above the sea after a series of puzzling electrical shorts, unexplained fires and smoky outbursts that struck in nine houses, displacing 17 families.

First to explode was Nino Pezzino's television, two days before Christmas.

Fuse boxes then blew in houses all along the Via Mare. Air-conditioners erupted even when unplugged. Fires started spontaneously. Kitchen appliances went up in smoke. A roomful of wedding gifts was crisped. Computers jammed. Cellphones rang when no one was calling, and electronic door locks in empty cars went demonically up and down.

http://www.nytimes.c...e-it-do-it.html

http://www.nytimes.c...e-it-do-it.html

Edited by Saru
Please do not copy and paste whole articles

Yep that's correct. Also is, that what happened there goes against many things we state as facts from a "rational"-world kind of thinking. Acknowledging that and work out of that premise to get, if not an answer, at least some insight and realising that things like this could happen and are not brain-farts and hallucinations. We don't get a lot smarter by saying just that UFO´s, demons or ghosts did this, but also not get smarter by saying; "it was an unexplained mystery, that happens" and call it a day. Instead, take it on unbiased, and work with what we got and leave room for speculation and pattern-finding to try to brocading the field of vision and not close the door to something just because one might have a preconceived notion of how things "ought" to be. Things that happened there are up to par with other reported poltergeist phenomenon that usually are just brushed away. This case was on a pretty big scale. Leaving it at; "it was an unexplained mystery, that happens" is a cop-out

What I meant by weak response from around the world I didn't mean that it wasn't in the paper. It would be pretty messed up if it wasn't, considering what actually happened there. But the response wasn't on the scale one would expect, and that people were not more curious to what was going on there and determined to find out the cause, come hell or high water. It was a pretty big *****n deal if you ask me. The Italians tried to do some investigation into it but it was pretty lame considering the resources we have and the implications of the event.

PS: BTW, the links to NY-times works OK for me, but I can paste in what they wrote if you cant access it for some other reasons. I do it in my next post.

But the point is, some things just remain unexplained. The incident was looked into and there were no definitive solutions, just several theories and some informed speculation. Some of which seem to be pretty good possibilities in my opnion. Sometimes that's the best we can do.

Look at something like the Bloop. It was technically unexplained for almost a decade, although there were several very good theories as to what it was (one of which ended up being correct in the end). But that didn't stop the "believers" from spinning all kinds of yarns about everything from Cthullu to underseas UFOs.

You mention Hessdalen in your OP as another example of incidents that scientists and skeptics are shying away from for some reason. Hessdalen may seem compelling to you, but to me and many others, it's fully explained as misidentification of aircraft landing lights. What many believers feel are such compelling mysteries are simply not really that mysterious or compelling to science. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

But the point is, some things just remain unexplained. The incident was looked into and there were no definitive solutions, just several theories and some informed speculation. Some of which seem to be pretty good possibilities in my opnion. Sometimes that's the best we can do.

Look at something like the Bloop. It was technically unexplained for almost a decade, although there were several very good theories as to what it was (one of which ended up being correct in the end). But that didn't stop the "believers" from spinning all kinds of yarns about everything from Cthullu to underseas UFOs.

You mention Hessdalen in your OP as another example of incidents that scientists and skeptics are shying away from for some reason. Hessdalen may seem compelling to you, but to me and many others, it's fully explained as misidentification of aircraft landing lights. What many believers feel are such compelling mysteries are simply not really that mysterious or compelling to science. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

The thing is to take incidents like the fires in Canneto di Caronia, that was pretty substantial, and weigh them in with other cases of poltergeist phenomenon and try to to discern patterns of similar occurrences and see where it leads. If we just say; "it was maybe some sort of static electricity" "that's the best we can do" that just leads nowhere. Scientists are pretty reluctant to be shown wrong, or have their fundamental preconceived notions challenged, so they fear cases like this where they might have to say; "we were wrong about a lot of stuff and this have us stumped, and we have to get back to the drawing-board on this one" . This just doesn't happen, instead they ignore it and say "strange $h1t happens, move along, nothing to see here".

The Bloop isn't even on the map of matching this case in any shape or form. Its like lumping in Loch Ness with NDE´s.

Hessdalen, aircraft landing lights? Are you shittin me? It is seen down in the valley of the mountains doing zigzag movement, disappearing and then comes back on a bit further on but now 4 lights doing irregular movements of each other, sometimes near the houses in the valley. Aircraft lights?..yeah right. A ball-lightning and plasma occurrences perhaps, but we don't even know what the hell they are either, or how they come into being there, and how they seem to react intelligently avoiding structures and moving around them.Lights "waiting" for another to catch up before they take off together etc and so on.

They have ONE unmanned container with some webcams and some reading instruments, that's all. If you really would like to find out what's going on there you need a lot more of an effort than that.

These two cases ARE compelling and mysterious to EVERYONE -scientists and layman- with exception to perhaps some debunkers maybe.

[media=]

[/media]

I've never heard of this. How fascinating. A poltergeist, or a bunch of poltergeists, do you think?

The thing is to take incidents like the fires in Canneto di Caronia, that was pretty substantial, and weigh them in with other cases of poltergeist phenomenon and try to to discern patterns of similar occurrences and see where it leads. If we just say; "it was maybe some sort of static electricity" "that's the best we can do" that just leads nowhere. Scientists are pretty reluctant to be shown wrong, or have their fundamental preconceived notions challenged, so they fear cases like this where they might have to say; "we were wrong about a lot of stuff and this have us stumped, and we have to get back to the drawing-board on this one" . This just doesn't happen, instead they ignore it and say "strange $h1t happens, move along, nothing to see here".

The Bloop isn't even on the map of matching this case in any shape or form. Its like lumping in Loch Ness with NDE´s.

Hessdalen, aircraft landing lights? Are you shittin me? It is seen down in the valley of the mountains doing zigzag movement, disappearing and then comes back on a bit further on but now 4 lights doing irregular movements of each other, sometimes near the houses in the valley. Aircraft lights?..yeah right. A ball-lightning and plasma occurrences perhaps, but we don't even know what the hell they are either, or how they come into being there, and how they seem to react intelligently avoiding structures and moving around them.Lights "waiting" for another to catch up before they take off together etc and so on.

They have ONE unmanned container with some webcams and some reading instruments, that's all. If you really would like to find out what's going on there you need a lot more of an effort than that.

These two cases ARE compelling and mysterious to EVERYONE -scientists and layman- with exception to perhaps some debunkers maybe.

[media=]

[/media]

You have a very misunderstood view of science, scientists, and the scientific method. Do you really think there is a scientist out there that wouldn't want to discover some kind of new phenomenon that caused the fires? Do you understand the fame, funding, and prizes that would go along with something like that?

There's only so much that can be done in a case like the fires. Everything is after the fact so all you're left with is eyewitness testimony, perhaps a video or two, and some burned materials. Once you test those, what's left? If they don't show anything abnormal, there's not much you can do except set up a monitoring station to try and catch the phenomenon again - which is exactly what they've done.

To then jump into the realm of spirits, demons, and poltergeists, is just silly. If you're going to do that, why not say Bigfoot did it? Or perhaps it was the Mothman? Or Springheeled Jack? Or maybe it was a pyromaniac Slender Man? Or maybe it was one of NatueBoff's dogmen or luminescent entities? All are equally valid when you go in that direction.

Regarding Hessdalen, we'll have to agree to disagree. If you'd like to start another thread on that topic, I'll gladly participate.

• Like 1

To then jump into the realm of spirits, demons, and poltergeists, is just silly. If you're going to do that, why not say Bigfoot did it? Or perhaps it was the Mothman? Or Springheeled Jack? Or maybe it was a pyromaniac Slender Man? Or maybe it was one of NatueBoff's dogmen or luminescent entities? All are equally valid when you go in that direction.

Err, no. In the case of the mystery fires of appliances off Sicily, a mystery force emanating from the ground is a distinct possibility. This could also explain the numerous mystery fires aboard airliners and many mystery crashes/disasters all over the world. The evidence of a mystery force comes from the Earth-flyby anomaly, which is currently unexplained by modern science. The Juno spacecraft id due for a fly-by in two months time. Let's wait and see. If there's an anomaly, it will be BIG news again.

Err, no. In the case of the mystery fires of appliances off Sicily, a mystery force emanating from the ground is a distinct possibility. This could also explain the numerous mystery fires aboard airliners and many mystery crashes/disasters all over the world. The evidence of a mystery force comes from the Earth-flyby anomaly, which is currently unexplained by modern science. The Juno spacecraft id due for a fly-by in two months time. Let's wait and see. If there's an anomaly, it will be BIG news again.

I'll let you and Elljay argue that one out.

You have a very misunderstood view of science, scientists, and the scientific method. Do you really think there is a scientist out there that wouldn't want to discover some kind of new phenomenon that caused the fires? Do you understand the fame, funding, and prizes that would go along with something like that?

There's only so much that can be done in a case like the fires. Everything is after the fact so all you're left with is eyewitness testimony, perhaps a video or two, and some burned materials. Once you test those, what's left? If they don't show anything abnormal, there's not much you can do except set up a monitoring station to try and catch the phenomenon again - which is exactly what they've done.

Regarding Hessdalen, we'll have to agree to disagree. If you'd like to start another thread on that topic, I'll gladly participate.

The field of phenomenon that is deemed paranormal of any sort is so tainted (and is kept that way by organized skeptical movements largely) that scientist doesn't dare to get close to any of them without risk of being tarred and a social pariah in their field. For mainstream scientists to get close to, and investigate something of that nature fully, with all available resources, it would have to be a slamdunk-case that ensured a total success of the investigation and that it would yield something astonishing. If there is a chance that they might not get that on their first try, they shy away, cause otherwise they be known as that "weirdo loser who chase ghosts" amongst all their colleagues, and have NO resources and backup to do further investigations..

Regarding the investigation; they had tons of traces and material to investigate, lab testing for what could possible ignite material like this with conditions known around the area, thorough witness interview and catalogize in databases and doing cross references to detect matches, recreate as much they possibly can the circumstances of the happenings, do backtracking to where it started and try to discern what was different that day from the day before in the surrounding area/atmosphere with all data they possibly could gather, that's just for a starter.

Bull**** responses like Bigfoot, Mothman, Springheeled Jack is just the kind of thing I expect from moronic skeptics that run out of juice. You aren't one of those I hope, so skip that.

Regarding Hessdalen; if you took your time to do some background research you wouldn't spout James McGaha-nonsense like "aircraft landing lights". Make the thread yourself.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I heard about these on Italian TV back in 2004 (since I used to live in Malta, and we receive many Italian TV channels, it was hard not to hear about them). I really didn't give them much notice at the time, but I've recently started reading about them, and they are genuinely a massive mystery. A mystery which was not given enough attention by experts, especially by international experts.

There is no known conclusive explanation for what happened in Canneto di Caronia. What we DO know is that the fires were caused by an electrical or magnetic anomaly. We also know that reports of this anomaly in the area date as far back as the 1930s.

A thread here on the forum on Spontaneous Human Combustion made me think of another case of spontaneous fires and extraordinary incidents which was The Mysteries Fires in Canneto di Caronia. There was of course the usual `the-devil-did-it´ from the religious flank. Some find that a bit irritating, but equally irritating was the sub par bullsh** debunking and dismissal from all kinds of debunking skeptics. The fact remains they don't know f--* all of what happened there and what caused it. It still stands out as one of the most profound and mysteries cases ever, and to brush it of as "some sort of static electric charges" as some do to explain all the happenings there just don't cut it. So most "pro"-debunkers who arrogantly try to dismiss or debunk things just like to slide pass this case and ignore it.

It's more likely to be dismissed quite quickly because the explanation seems ti cover the incident well. I am an electrician, and the very first thing I thought of was the same thing, induced power cresting spikes that affect appliances with a lower rating. It might remain a mystery, but only because the phenomena stopped. Intermittent faults are almost impossible to find when they are not happening. The suggestions of Volcanic activity in the area could well supply piezo sources that might very well create such an electrical anomaly. You think that's hard? Try finding a harmonic on a system before it blows something apart and kills you.

It may well be fact that nobody knows the "exact" cause of the interference, but suffice to say, the symptoms reveal the cause, if not the location of the fault. Why bother to ask professional what the problem is in the first instance, when replying with "I do not believe that"?? Bet you would believe them if you needed a power outlet installed. It is a mystery to you, not a trained professional, which is why no doubt this receives little attention.

What is amazing is that case like this with tangible evidence doesn't attract more investigations. I think it might be that scientists rarely like to take on a case that might lead them in directions they are not comfortable with, or have to reach conclusions that totally contradict their biased ideologies.

It's like the Hessdalen phenomenon, they dont want to "peek behind the curtain".

Sure, there are investigations done in Hessdalen but the amount of interest and resources one would think should go in to such an phenomenon is almost non-existing.

Here is nothing left to investigate though, not sure what you expect. People to follow cables all day long? Hessdalen provides continuous examples of earth-lights, which can be captured and measured for evaluation. In this case the phenomena only lasted a short time, and is over. Which I personally think suggests piezo movement created by tectonics.

Its one incident too, not sure how many studies you feel ought to be launched, or more importantly, who is going to pay for them.

Not so strangely? You suggest cover up? What on earth would be the point?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I wonder how the recent confirmation of "earthquake lights" might play into both Hessdelen and Canneto di Caronia?

What happens if said earthquake lights interact with structures and electrical appliances?

• Like 1

Obviously something is different about these events, and they will continue to be. Whether you continue research or not it cant be denied that they are unique and something different we haven't encountered before. Why would we not want to understand it is puzzling and probably will hurt us in the long term, perhaps if the same thing was taking place in NYC or LA, folks would pay more attention.

Obviously something is different about these events, and they will continue to be. Whether you continue research or not it cant be denied that they are unique and something different we haven't encountered before. Why would we not want to understand it is puzzling and probably will hurt us in the long term, perhaps if the same thing was taking place in NYC or LA, folks would pay more attention.

We have encountered this before that is why we know what it is, we just have not seen nature do it, we traditionally do it by making our own mistakes. Nature requires some giant scales, so the effect is rare and intermittent. It's a power surge.

People would pay more attention if it was ongoing, and had not been intermittent. Do you realise that term means? That the fault is there, then it is not? It is like magic, but it is not magic, it's electricity. When it is not there, it is pretty much impossible to find, and you do not know when the fault is going to happen, which makes it awful hard to track, that part is the REAL mystery. Where is the additional charge being generated? Which part of the earth? And what movements are causing what rocks to grind together to create electrical charges? Not "how can this possibly happen"? People are misreading this, and quite honestly, not doing their academic profiles any good whatsoever. It seems pretty basic to me to be frank.

I wonder how the recent confirmation of "earthquake lights" might play into both Hessdelen and Canneto di Caronia?

What happens if said earthquake lights interact with structures and electrical appliances?

Well electricity is a difference of potential, so where an easy path to create a circuit exists, it will be favoured. What we need is more geological information here.

LINK - Clue to earthquake lightning mystery

It's more likely to be dismissed quite quickly because the explanation seems ti cover the incident well. I am an electrician, and the very first thing I thought of was the same thing, induced power cresting spikes that affect appliances with a lower rating. It might remain a mystery, but only because the phenomena stopped. Intermittent faults are almost impossible to find when they are not happening. The suggestions of Volcanic activity in the area could well supply piezo sources that might very well create such an electrical anomaly. You think that's hard? Try finding a harmonic on a system before it blows something apart and kills you.

It may well be fact that nobody knows the "exact" cause of the interference, but suffice to say, the symptoms reveal the cause, if not the location of the fault. Why bother to ask professional what the problem is in the first instance, when replying with "I do not believe that"?? Bet you would believe them if you needed a power outlet installed. It is a mystery to you, not a trained professional, which is why no doubt this receives little attention.

Here is nothing left to investigate though, not sure what you expect. People to follow cables all day long? Hessdalen provides continuous examples of earth-lights, which can be captured and measured for evaluation. In this case the phenomena only lasted a short time, and is over. Which I personally think suggests piezo movement created by tectonics.

Its one incident too, not sure how many studies you feel ought to be launched, or more importantly, who is going to pay for them.

Not so strangely? You suggest cover up? What on earth would be the point?

I'm no electrician but what is the possibility of geological charges. Especially in a volcanic area. I'm reminded of the telegraph fires caused in1869 by the carriington event though that was a solar EMP.

• Like 1

I'm no electrician but what is the possibility of geological charges. Especially in a volcanic area. I'm reminded of the telegraph fires caused in1869 by the carriington event though that was a solar EMP.

They happen all the time, we use the same principal in flintless lighters, Piezo electricity, electricity from pressure. The link above delves into some interesting aspects:

"Our first suspicion was this has got to be a mistake. There must be something stupid we are doing," said Professor Troy Shinbrot, of Rutgers University, New Jersey.

"We took a tupperware container filled with flour, tipped it back and forth until cracks appeared, and it produced 200 volts of charge.

"There isn't a mechanism I know that can explain this. It seems to be new physics. "

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

They happen all the time, we use the same principal in flintless lighters, Piezo electricity, electricity from pressure. The link above delves into some interesting aspects:

"Our first suspicion was this has got to be a mistake. There must be something stupid we are doing," said Professor Troy Shinbrot, of Rutgers University, New Jersey.

"We took a tupperware container filled with flour, tipped it back and forth until cracks appeared, and it produced 200 volts of charge.

"There isn't a mechanism I know that can explain this. It seems to be new physics. "

That is cool!!!!

I imagine moving magma and the friction underneath might be able to cause ground currents? After all we do owe our geomagnetic field to rotating magma right?

• Like 1

How bizzare.

Oddly still, animals once flying or walking, dropping dead? Plant life becoming plant death? This hazzard sounds more toxic than electrical. So if not man made then the next likely candidate is natural.

Electricity can be generated in the atmosphere we all know that so perhaps by earth and sky combined these forces are explained.

• Like 1