Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What I have learned about pain

Luxord

To start, this is just a collection of beliefs and feelings I have about pain. I consider it a form of wisdom and understanding. And even if I am wrong, my experiences has led me to believe what I do right now. Enjoy.

1. Pain is one of the ultimate determiners of what we do, think, and feel. It dictates almost everything in our life and most people have belief systems based around it that causes them to drown in confusion and madness. An example is the "no pain no gain" philosophy. Although it is true to some extent, such as when you want to push through a tough situation to create peace again, people normally believe that without pain, everything you do Is invalid, worthless, and would be better with pain. Almost like you are only a strong person if you feel pain doing things in your life.
  2. Pain is a great way to learn about who you are. You are always learning about yourself, or in some sense, remembering who you are, after so much conditioning of how to think and feel from society and your environment in general.
  3. Most emotional pain is caused by a lack of understanding of ones self and how to salubriously help yourself and deal with negative beliefs and despairing feelings.
  4. Extreme levels of emotional pain such as sadness, will most likely cause you to feel an emotion of emptiness. Within this feeling, lies who you really are and the flame of your core self. This core self or who really are is love, compassion, hope, empathy, and the essence of creation itself. This makes that feeling addictive, since a lot of times everything else at that moment might feel fake and artificial. The feeling is a constant reminder of your existence and your true nature. A constant reminder that bears emptiness in its experience. I felt and experienced severe and clinical depression for three to four years. I was close to killing myself ,but didn't because I was afraid of the pain of performing that act, and because of that constant reminder of who I really was and that I exist. it felt REAL.
  5. For me, pain has been the ultimate reason why I hate life. I hate earth and the people in it. At the same time, I also feel like I love them. And I care for everything and life. This contradicts itself inside of me and causes tension and a lot of turmoil within me. I have experienced a lot of emotional pain from constantly being bullied. I was an outcast, abandoned by the people around me, and as a result, I have trouble about letting myself feel anything or caring about things. This isn't who I really am however, as I know now I am actually an intelligent and kind person. Don't judge me too harshly, I have been through a lot and it can only be understood by experiencing it.
  6. Pain in any situation reminds you of what is wrong with it.
  7. Pain is a good indicator of what doesn't make sense and how you really feel about the situation.
  8. finally, pain sucks, but it's opposite can also be extreme. This is great, since joy, happiness, bliss, and love can be experienced at such high levels that would make your head spin.

post-104277-0-28795800-1425167157_thumb.

Personally, I feel that very little deep knowledge and/or insight comes from just experiencing pain. Physical pain is your body's way of letting you know something is wrong and you need to stop and address the issue. Psychological pain really doesn't differ all that much. If one is in emotional pain then something is wrong and one needs to stop and address the issue.

That said, there are events in life over which one has no control and sometimes terrible pain results. How a person deals with this type of pain will often serve to show the strength of a person's character...but I don't see how such experiences offer a person knowledge or insight. When my daughter died I held her body and screamed in a pain that Hell itself could not have rendered upon me. All I learned was that life is fragile and can be taken from us in an instant. The suffering I still feel to this day has not offered me anything in return save a great deal of empathy for others enduring similar situations.

They often say pain builds character, but I feel it simply changes our character...and often not for our betterment.

• Like 1

There is a difference between emotional pain and physical pain , but we all have to experience it.

Pain is like the water a bladesmith thrusts the heated blade into to temper it. Pain can make one strong and resilient, or it can break one into pieces. Most people avoid pain the way a lobster avoids boiling water; it could well be their finest hour--but not by choice.

Personally, I feel that very little deep knowledge and/or insight comes from just experiencing pain. Physical pain is your body's way of letting you know something is wrong and you need to stop and address the issue. Psychological pain really doesn't differ all that much. If one is in emotional pain then something is wrong and one needs to stop and address the issue.

That said, there are events in life over which one has no control and sometimes terrible pain results. How a person deals with this type of pain will often serve to show the strength of a person's character...but I don't see how such experiences offer a person knowledge or insight. When my daughter died I held her body and screamed in a pain that Hell itself could not have rendered upon me. All I learned was that life is fragile and can be taken from us in an instant. The suffering I still feel to this day has not offered me anything in return save a great deal of empathy for others enduring similar situations.

They often say pain builds character, but I feel it simply changes our character...and often not for our betterment.

I agree with most of what you said. In relation to pain being a teacher of sorts, I mean that. But after reading your post, I think you just process pain differently. I process it in the way I posted. I believe it is possible to now to not recognize anything beneficial from it but that the person just has to focus on it to reveal it to themselves. Edited by tomatoedrama

Pain is an integral part of the system. It plays a major role in driving life mechanisms to evolve.

"Studies in Pessimism", by Arthur Schopenhauer is a good essay to read if you're pondering the existence of pain/suffering.

Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim. It is absurd to look upon the enormous amount of pain that abounds everywhere in the world, and originates in needs and necessities inseparable from life itself, as serving no purpose at all and the result of mere chance. Each separate misfortune, as it comes, seems, no doubt, to be something exceptional; but misfortune in general is the rule.

Link to full PDF:

https://ebooks.adela...m/chapter1.html

Pain is an integral part of the system. It plays a major role in driving life mechanisms to evolve.

"Studies in Pessimism", by Arthur Schopenhauer is a good essay to read if you're pondering the existence of pain/suffering.

Link to full PDF:

https://ebooks.adela...m/chapter1.html

I am definitely going to read that. I really like that quote. Thanks. I believe pain, from a spiritual perspective, is ours and life's way of telling us we aren't being ourselves or that we are going in the wrong direction. I think this is definitely true in general, but whether or not it is literal I think there lacks knowledge.