Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whales seen blowing a 'rainbow'

Still Waters

When going on a whale cruise you hope to see some awe-inspiring grey giants break the surface – not all the colours of the spectrum!

Tourists in Nova Scotia were left amazed after one of the whales spotted off their boat suddenly starts shooting rainbows out of its blowhole.

More commonly associated with unicorns and pots of gold, this rainbow seems to be physically coming out of the gigantic mammal as it rises out of the sea.

http://www.dailymail...g-rainbows.html

• Like 3

That would have been beautiful to see....

That would have been beautiful to see....

It really would!

We went on whale watching and we didn't see that, lol. If that was true, maybe next time, we get to see it too. It looks amazing.

Very misleading title...

I don't see how?

Unless you thought it was Mr Rainbow... :no:

Its a great little story, one of those that could have lead to all sorts of explanations from our ancestors.

Edited by Junior Chubb

I don't see how?

Unless you thought it was Mr Rainbow... :no:

Its a great little story, one of those that could have lead to all sorts of explanations from our ancestors.

Probably because the whale is clearly not blowing a rainbow; silly article (it is the DM) and associations around a simple effect of light - what next, magical lawn sprinklers casting rainbows?

Probably because the whale is clearly not blowing a rainbow; silly article (it is the DM) and associations around a simple effect of light - what next, magical lawn sprinklers casting rainbows?

Sorry you where mislead, I still don't see how the title is misleading. Rainbows are an effect of light and moisture, when whales blow a spray of water is created, in this case a miniature 'rainbow' with it.

What where you expecting a pot of gold to come flying out as well? :tu:

I think it's safe to say we all know the whale is not blowing a rainbow, but that doesn't make the article any less interesting. The pictures are nice and I haven't seen anything like this before. I know fine it's just a trick of the light but who really cares. A bit of light heartedness never goes amiss once in a while.

• Like 2

theyre after my lucky charms! :w00t:

I think it's safe to say we all know the whale is not blowing a rainbow, but that doesn't make the article any less interesting. The pictures are nice and I haven't seen anything like this before. I know fine it's just a trick of the light but who really cares. A bit of light heartedness never goes amiss once in a while.

Being there, to see the whale and hear it blow the water with a rainbow anywhere about, would be so wonderful...anyone with magic in their soul would appreciate it.

• Like 1

Great pictures, would be so awesome to see that in person!!

That is definitely something that seeing in person wouldn't be able to compare properly to seeing in a photograph. Reminds me when I was a kid and my friends and I would spray the garden hose on the "mist" setting and run through the rainbows. :)