Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nvidia shows off new facial rendering tech,

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

!

We’re currently living in an age where computer-generated graphics are kind of hanging out at the other end of the uncanny valley, taking a breather from climbing in either direction. Video games look pretty good in modern times, packed with detail, and certain games – Uncharted and L.A. Noire, specifically — are exemplary models of character animation. However, with just a glance, you can easily discern that a video game is just that, a video game and not real life.

http://www.geek.com/...alley-20130321/

I think all of the video is worth watching, but you can skip to 8m 40s minutes to see how realistic the facial expressions are. Amazing.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 22 March 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#2    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Phenomenal!

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#3    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

I know. In 10 years time graphics like these might even be part of gameplay, as opposed to just cut-scenes.

You might even be able to scan yourself, if you wanted to, then upload your image to use as your own avatar in an MMO or even an online FPS, or, hell, any game, online or not, just for the fun of seeing yourself completing quests and playing out a story!

Imagine being the next Assassin in Assassin's Creed? :D

#4    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 22 March 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

I know. In 10 years time graphics like these might even be part of gameplay, as opposed to just cut-scenes.

You might even be able to scan yourself, if you wanted to, then upload your image to use as your own avatar in an MMO or even an online FPS, or, hell, any game, online or not, just for the fun of seeing yourself completing quests and playing out a story!

Imagine being the next Assassin in Assassin's Creed? :D

That would be outrageously cool and not beyond the realm of possible in ten years either. :w00t:

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#5    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

Thats cool iam really into video graphics like this. Thanks for posting the ears gave it away

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,415 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

I think we can all guess what the first use of this technology will be.  At least it will help stop the spread of VD.

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

That is absolutely amazing, around the 10 minutes mark, my brain got tricked by it and I started to think it was a real person. Can you imagine how immerse game would be with that king of graphics. It might bring stricter laws though, like I can't see the likes of the game manhunt being allowed with that sort of realism. GTA would probably have to be toned down.

This would also be a massive break through for medical training, just think of the simulation for medical students they can provide with that. Unbelievable.

EDIT, just realised when he started talking about uploading scans of ourselves etc, all I could think was... Nice database of everyone and exactly how they look and act. Kinda creepy.

Also how much does the guy presenting this sound like Nicholas Cage... lol (Not identical just similar)

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 March 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

I think we can all guess what the first use of this technology will be.  At least it will help stop the spread of VD.

Hahahaha, so true.

Edited by Coffey, 22 March 2013 - 10:35 AM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,385 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

There is some software that I enjoy 'playing with' called Poser. In which you can create 3d people, creatures and objects and even animate them, It's fairly realistic now.. with this tech it would be simply amazing!

I did some quick and easy pics for the Raptor Photoshop thread, if you are interested in seeing it's current abilities when set to "low resolution" for rendering...

http://www.unexplain...c=233151&st=480

Edited by Taun, 22 March 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#9    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Kind of along the same lines...isn't EQ3 going to use a scanning tech so you can have your chracter look like you, or your facial emotes? Though I overheard that.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users