Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Regenerative medicine not far fetched

Paracelse

ScienceDaily (July 24, 2012) — In Spider-Man's latest adventure, scientists delve into the field of regenerative medicine as they work to re-grow a human limb. Koudy Williams, D.V.M., a self-described "Spider-Man geek" and real-life regenerative medicine researcher, says the plot of the latest comic book and movie isn't as far-fetched as some people might think.
more here

In the latest Spiderman movie, which I haven't seen, the bad guys had developed regenerative medicine, today scientists are saying it's not so far fetched.

• Like 3

Nice, be a good thing to have.

War wounded, landmine victims, crash accident.

Sound good to me, sooner the better.

Plus they can give me a better eye, to see better.

Thanks!

And the special Olympic will be no more :D

• Like 1

Good point but methink the people would prefer have entlre limb rather than participate to the special Olympics

If they can make me like Wolverine, I'm all for it.

You would have to find an adamantium mine first.

• Like 1

I believe that the special Olympics would become irrelevant to those who are presented with the potential for limb regrowth. With that extra limb, they could become a REAL Olympic gold medalist.

This would be amazing, imagine getting things wrong though, your leg grows back, then a week later so does another one.

Going to need a few Lab Rats to get this right. ;)

And the special Olympic will be no more :D

Don't worry there will be, it will just be called the 'Poor Mans Olympics' instead...

If they can make me like Wolverine, I'm all for it.

Lol, sorry, just imagined your avatar with Wolverine strength and huge metal claws...

Lol, sorry, just imagined your avatar with Wolverine strength and huge metal claws...

Hmm, they use lab rats for all sorts of weird experiments so why not? lol

• Like 1

You would have to find an adamantium mine first.

And a nut job scientists willing to do it...... Oh wait that part would be easy.

• Like 3

I'd like to be able to regrown limbs.

Surely you have this ability already? ;)

• Like 1

Surely you have this ability already? ;)

Well, I have some minor regeneration, the ability to fly, teleport and countless other things...(Due to being an ancient reptilian overlord)

I can't regrow limbs though.

:lol:

• Like 1

Well, I have some minor regeneration, the ability to fly, teleport and countless other things...(Due to being an ancient reptilian overlord)

I can't regrow limbs though.

:lol:

Reptilians never fought Spiderman!!! Or did I miss another episode?

I once came across a scientist heading to Los Alamos for new employment. He said that if we can dream up something, we now have the ability, scientifically, to bring that dream about. He indicated that our science is that strong. While this also applies to regenerative medicine, we went on to talk about teleportation and time travel. It was a nice hour-long converstaion with a handsome, smart young man (I was young too). Time well spent.

I am invested in stem cell companies and in immunotherapy. I like to read about this type of thing. Thank you for bringing it up. I think it is around the corner.

• Like 1

Reptilians never fought Spiderman!!! Or did I miss another episode?

Oh no.

It's a well known fact around here that I'm a semi immortal reptilian overlord that has drank from the holy grail.

Being slightly insane is great. :D

I once came across a scientist heading to Los Alamos for new employment. He said that if we can dream up something, we now have the ability, scientifically, to bring that dream about. He indicated that our science is that strong. While this also applies to regenerative medicine, we went on to talk about teleportation and time travel. It was a nice hour-long converstaion with a handsome, smart young man (I was young too). Time well spent.

I am invested in stem cell companies and in immunotherapy. I like to read about this type of thing. Thank you for bringing it up. I think it is around the corner.

You're welcome I do think science could go real far if we did put our minds to it.

Oh no.

It's a well known fact around here that I'm a semi immortal reptilian overlord that has drank from the holy grail.

Being slightly insane is great. :D

Somehow slightly is not a word that I would have used :P:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• Like 2

There has been a scientist who was doing auto immunity test on mice, and they pricked little holes in their ears to identify them, the scientist noticed that the wholes had regrown, wich shouldn't have been possible he then experimented further with the mice and managed to make them regrow their tails/fingers

Interesting! Any link?

cant u put like salamander cells where u need to regrow yur body part and the cells will make yur body part grow back?

more here

In the latest Spiderman movie, which I haven't seen, the bad guys had developed regenerative medicine, today scientists are saying it's not so far fetched.

Hornesis shock - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

Small amounts of stressors applied to the body can produce a much larger biological response. If the biological response relates to your bodies repair mechanisms then because the effect is larger than the damage received you gain.

Small doses of radiation far below the levels needed to cause medical problems trigger your cell repair mechanisms system wide. This causes a regeneration effect extending lifespan by up to 20% - http://en.wikipedia....iation_hormesis

The occasional roasting hot bath (hot water shock) and freezing cold shower (cold water shock) do the same. Alternative days of starvation do it too so long as the eating day has plenty of nutrition. The occasional moderate dehydration does it too as does missing the occasional nights sleep. Small amounts of toxin also do it.

Essentialy your body over repairs.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 1

Thanks for all those links, too bad it's too late for me

I'm not so sure it is too late.

The trick is to lower the metabolism and induce hormesis shock. If you are 50 now I dont see why you cant get another 300 years. Sounds nuts but here we go -

Hormesis shock to upregulate your repair mehanisms -

1. Hot bath one day and an ice cold shower the next.

2. Consume small diluted doses of toxin such as having a cigeratte once a month.

3. Miss a nights sleep every week

4. Recovering from short periods of starvation or fasting

5. Have a small drink of alcohol every few days

6. Start the day with a cup of coffee but only have 1 per day

7. Lots of fruit

8. Short periods of intense exercise (30 mins every other day)

These reduce your metabolism

1. Moderate dehydration

2. Keeping yourself warm so you lose less heat but not hot so you sweat.

3. Lack of sleep

4. Alternate days of starvation with enough nutrition on the eating day for both days.

5. Periods of inactivity

6. Lack of sunlight

The trick is to combine both lots.

I'm also going to add the hormones used to up regulate your repair mechanisms are excreted in your urine. I cant see you drinking it though to make the effect last longer lol

Edited by Mr Right Wing