Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

perfect circle=crazy?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    telirium

telirium

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

i once heard that if you drew an absolutely perfect round circle without any mistakes that you would go insane. i know its physically impossible to do this but has anyone else heard of it?

a child's rhyme stuck in my head...

#2    MCP

MCP

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

• An idea is just an idea until one breathes life into it to make it a reality.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

i once heard that if you drew an absolutely perfect round circle without any mistakes that you would go insane. i know its physically impossible to do this but has anyone else heard of it?

Actually, there is an asian culture that do draw perfect circles for meditative purposes. I forget the name of this technique, but once I figure it out, i'll give it to you.

#3    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Actually, there is an asian culture that do draw perfect circles for meditative purposes. I forget the name of this technique, but once I figure it out, i'll give it to you.

Please do sounds insteresting a perfect circle.

#4    Rosenrot

Rosenrot

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• "The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
    Aldo Leopold

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

You would go insane trying to do it.  Mathematically perfect circles are almost impossible without the use of a computer.

Posted Image

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious." --Oscar Wilde

And because I can't help but still have a fanciful side, my dragons

#5    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:23 PM

A circle with an infinite radius would look like a straight line; so draw a line with a ruler and you have (part of) a perfect circle. grin2.gif

#6    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

A circle with an infinite radius would look like a straight line; so draw a line with a ruler and you have (part of) a perfect circle. grin2.gif

laugh.gif oi! that's cheating!

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#7    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

I've known some old school drafters that can draw near perfect circles, actually, my father can do it (or they look pretty perfect to me). I love watching him do this, he holds the pencil lightly in his fingers, then without touching the paper, starts to make a circular motion with his hand, then quickly lowers the pencil to the paper and voila! A perfect or near perfect circle appears. It's pretty cool to watch him do... some people doodle hearts and squares when they're bored, my dad does circles. haha.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#8    Moon Monkey

Moon Monkey

Government Agent

• 3,884 posts

• All I learnt at school was how to bend not break the rules

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

Didn't Michaelangelo get the job in the Sistine by showing his skills by drawing a perfect circle freehand ? Or is that just another urban legend ?

#9    reyra

reyra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

perfect circles !? well i don't think so, but have you tried?

#10    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

I've never heard of drwing a perfect circle will drive you crazy. Probably a simple UL because, no one can do it to find out! The Vice Pincipal at the school I went to for fifth grade, (big time long time ago), once told my class that the only person who could draw a perfect circle was DiVinci.

A circle with an infinite radius would look like a straight line; so draw a line with a ruler and you have (part of) a perfect circle.
And when I tried that in a bar bet, I got shot, your honor. Actually, that just sounds like the beginning of a long list of events in which I prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that I am, in fact, a wiseass!

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#11    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have a micrometer.... I'll have Dad do his circle trick then I can get some measurements to see if they're as close to perfect as I think they are. From eyeballing them, they look like they're consistantly about 8mm in diameter. Now I'm really interested to see how close he is. Oh fun! I get to go hassle dad! I love it when that happens! rofl.gif

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#12    Moon Monkey

Moon Monkey

Government Agent

• 3,884 posts

• All I learnt at school was how to bend not break the rules

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

I've never heard of drwing a perfect circle will drive you crazy. Probably a simple UL because, no one can do it to find out! The Vice Pincipal at the school I went to for fifth grade, (big time long time ago), once told my class that the only person who could draw a perfect circle was DiVinci.

I might have got my earlier post wrong and it was Da Vinci who drew a perfect circle freehand when he was being commissioned for a portrait (Mona Lisa?) to show what a great artist he was

#13    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

And when I tried that in a bar bet, I got shot, your honor. Actually, that just sounds like the beginning of a long list of events in which I prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that I am, in fact, a wiseass!

tongue.gif

I might have got my earlier post wrong and it was Da Vinci who drew a perfect circle freehand when he was being commissioned for a portrait (Mona Lisa?) to show what a great artist he was

You were right the first time, but Da Vinci is supposedly the first person to have been able to draw a perfect circle.

#14    Threepwud

Threepwud

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Be merry

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

Get this, peeps.

The world free hand champion draws a 'perfect' circle 1 meter in diameter in... LESS THAN A SECOND!!!

Cool, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAhfZUZiwSE

Http://www.threepwud.com
Anyone fancy a game of backgammon? PM for details :)

#15    Primeval

Primeval

Psychic Spy

• 1,803 posts

• "In Tyler I trust."

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

I think that people that can draw circles and lines near perfect, are naturally good at drawing. This is how I know I suck at drawing and should stick to photography.  

Posted Image
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
My DeviantART

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users