Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1,000 Londoners killed by 'Toxic Air'

seeder

Ive never looked back since leaving London in approx 2000. Even back then youd see road-signs advising of that days pollution levels...

1,000 Londoners killed in four months by the capital's toxic air

The death toll from tiny particulate pollution in London has soared above 1,000 in less than four months this year, shock figures revealed today.

The disclosure sparked fresh calls from campaigners and academics for tougher action from Boris Johnson’s successor and the Government to tackle the “silent killer” of air pollution shortening so many people’s lives in the city.

Clean Air in London estimates that the 2016 death toll attributable to long-term exposure to human-made PM2.5 pollution reached the 1,000 mark on Monday and now stands at more than 1,020.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/1000-londoners-killed-in-four-months-by-the-capitals-toxic-air-a3235841.html

• Like 1

Looking at the causes:

Coarse dust particles (PM10) are 2.5 to 10 micrometers in diameter. Sources include crushing or grinding operations and dust stirred up by vehicles on roads.

• Fine particles (PM2.5) are 2.5 micrometers in diameter or smaller, and can only be seen with an electron microscope. Fine particles are produced from all types of combustion, including motor vehicles, power plants, residential wood burning, forest fires, agricultural burning, and some industrial processes
  • https://airnow.gov/i...basics.particle

They have tried to reduce the number of cars going in and out, but it seems that unless they change every road in London, and halt all building work (and there is lots of it) around the capital, they have a big job on their hands to prevent the ever increasing population of the capital avoiding some form of affects from the pollution you get when living in a big city.

• Thank themselves lucky they do not have smog....even I remember those days. :cry:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Coming to London soon, I will setup a stall and sell these... (should be a good earner...Rodney!)

images-437.jpeg

• Like 3

Coming to London soon, I will setup a stall and sell these... (should be a good earner...Rodney!)

images-437.jpeg

Do you need a hand on the stall Del boy?

EDIT:

its the masks you are selling Delboy, not the people?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Do you need a hand on the stall Del boy?

Absolutely. Im not gonna be standing on the street....next to the polluting traffic.... selling these from the stall... I care about my health....so has to be Rodney or Trigger... :lol:

• Like 2

Ive never looked back since leaving London in approx 2000. Even back then youd see road-signs advising of that days pollution levels...

approx. it's either you left london in the year 2000 or not lol

But its look likes you don't know when

• Like 1

Campaigners have staged a dramatic "die-in" as part of an air pollution protest involving up to 250 people outside the Department for Transport this evening.

The crowd gathered in Horseferry Road, Westminster, at 5pm with some carrying placards and wearing face masks.

They were joined at the demonstration by Green Party mayoral candidate Sian Berry and transport campaigner Tom Kearney.

Protesters later lay down on the road in a demonstration of the effects of air pollution on people's health.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/pollution-protesters-stage-central-london-diein-a3235456.html

approx. it's either you left london in the year 2000 or not lol

But its look likes you don't know when

How can I ever truly...leave London? Thats where my family are... I go often.. but why why bring up a nothing issue? and why not just respond to the OP, unless this is a personal attack?

• Like 1